Wine wont work anymore [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Efo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Wine wont work anymore [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi all,

I had wine installed with few windows applications working. After a while I tried to run them again but nothing would work anymore.

Now when I run winetricks I have the following message:
------------------------------------------------------
wine cmd.exe /c echo '%ProgramFiles%' returned unexpanded string... do you own the parent of /home/user/.wine ?
------------------------------------------------------

When I try to install a program I get the following message: http://ompldr.org/vOXczNw]http://ompldr.org/vOXczNw
It looks like I cannot use wine at all because the error persists.

I am using:
app-emulation/wine-1.2.3 (also tried different ones including 1.3.24)
app-emulation/winetricks-185
2.6.39-gentoo-r3
amd64

Any help in getting wine working (or debugging it) is appreciated.

Thanks.

Efo

Last edited by Efo on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with a clean prefix and a 1.3.X release.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Efo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi drescherjm,

Thank you for the reply, I am kinda lost here.
I unsuccessfully tried few 1.3.x, and every time I remove my ~/.wine directory (shouldnt this take care of the prefix?).

If you have x86_64 (amd64) and if you have wine working, would you mind telling me the version + flags you are using?

Thanks again.

Efo
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been having problems compiling wine with any flags but -O0 and -pipe, i would try that.
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Efo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi djdunn and thank you for joining,

I dont have problems compiling wine; flagwise I was referring more to the USE flags. But I will try your suggestion as well.
waebbl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi efo,

I'm using wine successfully on an amd64. Version and USE flags are as follows:
Code:
[ebuild   R   ~] app-emulation/wine-1.3.26  USE="X alsa cups dbus fontconfig gecko gnutls gphoto2 gsm jpeg lcms ldap mp3 ncurses openal opencl opengl oss perl png samba scanner ssl threads truetype win32 win64 xcomposite xinerama xml -capi -custom-cflags (-gstreamer) (-hal) (-nls) -test -v4l" 0 kB
I've switched to unstable wine about 2 years back and never had any serious trouble with it (using it almost exclusively for games).

Beside of installing some small helper apps that go into the default prefix, I always use separate prefixes for any application, using q4wine to manage them. Also, do you use a multilib system? AFAIK using no-multilib will prevent a lot of apps running under wine, but it may also be possible you can't even install wine on a no-multilib profile, not sure about this.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the default wine install installs a 64 bit windows env if you use the win32 use flag it might be a lot more stable. i never had much luck with 64 bit windows at all and making things work with it
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Efo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi waebbl,

Thanks for the info, but no luck there. q4wine seems a nice manager and I think it gave some more info:

It seems the process crashed.

STDERR log:
[EE] Can't open user selected translation Exec
string: env WINEPREFIX='/home/user/.wine'
WINESERVER='/usr/bin/wineserver'
WINELOADER='/usr/bin/wine'
WINEDLLPATH='/usr/lib/wine' WINEARCH='win32'
/bin/sh -c " cd'/home/user' && /usr/bin/wine
'regedit.exe' C:/temp/2414.reg 2>&1 " Exit code:
256 App STDOUT and STDERR output: wine:
WINEARCH set to win32 but '/home/user/.wine' is a 64-bit installation.

I am not sure what to make of this, was "~/.wine" initialized as 64-bit?

I removed the whole directory before reinstalling wine:
Installed versions: 1.3.26!t(21:39:05 08/17/11)(X alsa cups dbus fontconfig gecko gnutls jpeg lcms mp3 ncurses openal opengl oss perl png scanner ssl threads truetype win32 win64 xcomposite xinerama xml -capi -custom-cflags -gphoto2 -gsm -gstreamer -hal -ldap -nls -opencl -samba -test -v4l)

Hi djdunn,

It sounds like you may be right: I have always used the win32 flag (also occasionally tried without it) and I still have problems.
This is killing me, few updates ago everything was working fine :(
Efo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am back trying to figure this out.
I have installed version 1.3.32 now, and I dont get the 64/32 bit error message anymore, however, here is the backtrace:

http://ompldr.org/vYmQ0aA

This has been going on for a while, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Efo
pinion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gotten anywhere with this? I just switched from x86 to amd64 on my laptop with a clean build, and can no longer use wine with similar errors.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinion,

Which errors are you getting exactly?
The 'WINEARCH set to win32 but '/home/user/.wine' is a 64-bit installation.' may occur for more than one reason I think.
I think I encountered this sort of weirdness once myself, but I can't remember the version of Wine nor any other details, but I know it can happen.
I can, however, reproduce one cause for it right now, and here is how:

Code:
 $ mkdir blubb
 $ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=blubb winecfg
wine: WINEARCH set to win32 but 'blubb' is a 64-bit installation.

Not depicting real directory here, but imagine your preferred path there, and if the directory exists beforehand, it simply does not seem to work as intended (or is it a feature of a kind? I don't know, either way, if the directory does not exist, and you run the command creating the Wine environment, alongside with the directory, it will work).
This is probably one reason as to why I haven't encountered this issue often at all, as I explain below, I always create new prefixes if I need something different, instead of nuking/re-using .wine, and I never created the directory manually.

If using a win32+win64 wine, you can create a 32bit 'windows' installation like so:

Code:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/example/path/to/wine32 winecfg

It doesn't need to be winecfg as in the example; it can be basically anything that starts Wine. I would then confirm it did indeed create a 32bit-environment by checking that there is no 'Program Files (x86)' in there. I have more then often forgotten if it was WINEARCH or WINARCH and 32bit or 32win for the variable myself...

And yes, I guess you could delete .wine directory, and then just omit the WINEPREFIX part, but this is the way I do it: I have probably never deleted my initial .wine, or well, maybe a few times I did in the beginning... before I learned of WINEPREFIX!
Nowadays I leave .wine be, which handles most of my games and such, and for anything else, I create additional prefixes as shown above.
I think I have something between 10 and 20 of them at the moment... :roll:
One reason being exactly that some applications just don't like the 64bit-environment, and I would create the 32bit-only for any such needs.

Most of the time I have not had any such major issues, and for what it's worth, here's how my current "main-wine" is built:

Code:
app-emulation/wine-1.3.37 was built with the following:
USE="X alsa cups gecko gnutls gphoto2 jpeg mp3 (multilib) ncurses nls openal opengl oss perl png ssl threads truetype win32 win64 xml -capi -custom-cflags -fontconfig -gsm (-gstreamer) -hardened -lcms -ldap -opencl -samba -scanner -test -udisks -v4l -xcomposite -xinerama"                                       
CFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -pipe -O2"
CXXFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -pipe -O2"

Those having problems, please, post the output of:

Code:
emerge --info wine

Or at least the was built with the following part, if possible, and also the output from terminal when running the application via one. ^^

I'm no expert on Wine, but I have used it quite a bit and explored quite a few things with it (pun partially intended), so I can't claim to be able to solve any of your problems here, but I can try my best to help you towards it!

Anyways, just some thoughts~
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
I would start with a clean prefix and a 1.3.X release.

This bugs me. I have wine installed, and I've managed to do a few trivial things with it, like solitaire and minesweeper, and once upon a time I managed to get "Uru, Ages Beyond Myst" working, though without the DIB engine it had the bad cursor. But in general, I have a rough time getting wine to do much, and it seems that there is a lot of "wine application architecture", things like "a clean prefix" that everyone else seems to understand, and I don't. Last time I tried to use wine, it opened a dialog with "updating configuration" or something like that. Other times, after a long time, it would launch minesweeper - just testing. Last time, I lost patience and killed it. The "updating configuration" taking many minutes, using no disk and no cpu, is a royal pain.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. It seems like there's some sort of "Using WINE Manual" that I don't know about, but it seems that most others do. Where is it? How do I learn the secret of "a clean prefix", or setting this bugger up to actually do something?
Efo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pinion,

Nope, I am still stuck. What really annoys me is that it used to work. I dont know which update messed it up, but I tried to reinstall from scratch and a million other things without success.

Chiitoo, here is my
Code:
 emerge --info wine

Portage 2.1.10.41 (default/linux/amd64/10.0, gcc-4.5.3, glibc-2.13-r4, 3.1.6-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System Settings
System uname: Linux-3.1.6-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Duo_CPU_P9600_@_2.66GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.3
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 18:00:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.1_p9
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.11-r3
dev-lang/python: 2.7.2-r3, 3.1.4-r3
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.6-r4
dev-util/pkgconfig: 0.26
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.0.3
sys-apps/openrc: 0.9.4
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.5
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.68
sys-devel/automake: 1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.21.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc: 4.5.3-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1-r1
sys-devel/libtool: 2.4-r1
sys-devel/make: 3.82-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 2.6.39 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.13-r4
Repositories: gentoo calculate
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA dlj-1.1 googleearth AdobeFlash-10.1 Intel-SDP Oracle-BCLA-JavaSE"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt /usr/share/openvpn/easy-rsa /var/lib/hsqldb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS=""
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo ftp://mirror.iawnet.sandia.gov/pub/gentoo/"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/lib/layman/calculate"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X acl acpi alsa amd64 asf berkdb bitmap-fonts bmp bzip2 cdr cli cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus divx doc dri dvd dvdread fortran gdbm gif ginac gmedia gpm gstreamer gtk iconv imagemagick ipv6 java jbig jpeg jpeg2k midi mmx mmx2 mmxext modules mp3 mp4 mudflap multilib ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin opengl openmp pam pcmcia pcre pdf png postscript pppd qhull qt3support quicktime readline sdl session sse sse2 ssl svg sysfs tcpd tiff truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb wmp xorg zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="synaptics evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nv vesa" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Package Settings

app-emulation/wine-1.3.32 was built with the following:
USE="X alsa cups dbus gecko jpeg mp3 (multilib) ncurses nls opengl oss perl png ssl threads truetype win32 win64 xml -capi -custom-cflags -fontconfig -gnutls -gphoto2 -gsm (-gstreamer) -hardened -lcms -ldap -openal -opencl -samba -scanner -test -v4l -xcomposite -xinerama"
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe -O2"
CXXFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe -O2"
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. It seems like there's some sort of "Using WINE Manual" that I don't know about, but it seems that most others do. Where is it? How do I learn the secret of "a clean prefix", or setting this bugger up to actually do something?

Most of the time it means that one deletes or re-locates the .wine directory, as far as I know.
In all simplicity, that is it. When Wine starts, it will create it anew with the default, "clean", content.

As I mention above, I prefer to create a custom prefix for any such needs, as it suits me a lot better.
As for "Using WINE Manual", I'm not really sure what that is, ha, but there is the

Code:
http://wiki.winehq.org/

that has lots of helpful information, I think. ^^

Efo wrote:
Hi all,

I am back trying to figure this out.
I have installed version 1.3.32 now, and I dont get the 64/32 bit error message anymore, however, here is the backtrace:

http://ompldr.org/vYmQ0aA

This has been going on for a while, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Efo

Hmmm, am I the only one, or is your backtrace an image of 'STOP SOPA!'?
I don't think I can trouble-shoot that issue, unfortunately. D:
I guess it might be related to the day that is today. Let a Wikki page be still for too long for example, and it will slap you with a dark page instead.

In any case, try running your application with the

Code:
WINEPREFIX=/your/desired/path Yourapplication.exe

and perhaps with the

Code:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/your/desired/path/different/from/the/above Yourapplication.exe

as well and see what happens and post the output, if need be.

Oh and just in-case, as one can't see it in any of my examples, if you get confused by the environment variables not working, and you have any blank space in the path, just as with any path, you will need to enclose it within " or ' might work as well, can't remember fer sure right now!
You could just as well escape the blank spaces with a \ if preferred.

Longer logs look better within [code ] tags [/ code] by the by. ^^
Other than the CPU differences that is mine being AMD, and a couple of different flags and other minor things, we have very similar builds so at least I can't think of anything obvious on that part.
If you try the above WINEPREFIX method (and do not create manually that directory), you will ensure that it is indeed a fresh new 'windows'.

Also, 1.3.37 is in the tree now, and haven't noticed anything weird at least yet.
Efo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chiitoo and thanks for helping,

I tried
Code:
  env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/user/Tmp wine /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe

and I got
Code:

fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xe8e8fc, overlapped 0xe8e8e0): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/user/Tmp' has been updated.
fixme:actctx:parse_manifest_buffer failed to parse manifest (null)
fixme:actctx:parse_manifest_buffer failed to parse manifest (null)
err:module:map_image Could not map section .reloc, file probably truncated
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x0044791c at address 0x4092ad (thread 002d), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x0044791c in 32-bit code (0x004092ad).
Register dump:
 CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0063 GS:006b
 EIP:004092ad ESP:0033e414 EBP:00000005 EFLAGS:00010283(  R- --  I S - - -C)
 EAX:0000c085 EBX:7b868b45 ECX:00000004 EDX:0033fef0
 ESI:0033fbc4 EDI:0044791c
Stack dump:
0x0033e414:  00000110 0002005e 0033e4e0 7ed63ff4
0x0033e424:  00403ba8 00009005 0033e4b4 00000110
0x0033e434:  0002005e 7ed63ff4 7ed63ff4 0033e460
0x0033e444:  7ed2d8aa 7eda1420 00000001 0033e470
0x0033e454:  7ed2e94f fffffff0 7ed63ff4 0033e530
0x0033e464:  7ed2f6a5 00030070 00000000 0033e4a0
000c: sel=0067 base=00000000 limit=00000000 32-bit --x
Backtrace:
0x004092ad: movw        0x0(%edi),%ax
Modules:
Module  Address                 Debug info      Name (54 modules)
PE        400000-  41c000       Export          setup
ELF     7b800000-7b9b4000       Deferred        kernel32<elf>
  \-PE  7b810000-7b9b4000       \               kernel32
ELF     7bc00000-7bcc1000       Deferred        ntdll<elf>
  \-PE  7bc10000-7bcc1000       \               ntdll
ELF     7bf00000-7bf04000       Deferred        <wine-loader>
ELF     7e5df000-7e5e5000       Deferred        libxfixes.so.3
ELF     7e5e5000-7e5ef000       Deferred        libxcursor.so.1
ELF     7e5ef000-7e5fd000       Deferred        libxi.so.6
ELF     7e5fd000-7e605000       Deferred        libxrandr.so.2
ELF     7e605000-7e60f000       Deferred        libxrender.so.1
ELF     7e60f000-7e615000       Deferred        libxxf86vm.so.1
ELF     7e615000-7e637000       Deferred        imm32<elf>
  \-PE  7e620000-7e637000       \               imm32
ELF     7e637000-7e63d000       Deferred        libxdmcp.so.6
ELF     7e63d000-7e657000       Deferred        libxcb.so.1
ELF     7e657000-7e66f000       Deferred        libice.so.6
ELF     7e66f000-7e78c000       Deferred        libx11.so.6
ELF     7e78c000-7e79c000       Deferred        libxext.so.6
ELF     7e79c000-7e7a4000       Deferred        libsm.so.6
ELF     7e7a4000-7e845000       Deferred        winex11<elf>
  \-PE  7e7b0000-7e845000       \               winex11
ELF     7e845000-7e856000       Deferred        libbz2.so.1
ELF     7e856000-7e86b000       Deferred        libz.so.1
ELF     7e86b000-7e8f4000       Deferred        libfreetype.so.6
ELF     7e925000-7ea13000       Deferred        oleaut32<elf>
  \-PE  7e940000-7ea13000       \               oleaut32
ELF     7ea13000-7ea87000       Deferred        rpcrt4<elf>
  \-PE  7ea20000-7ea87000       \               rpcrt4
ELF     7ea87000-7eb87000       Deferred        ole32<elf>
  \-PE  7eaa0000-7eb87000       \               ole32
ELF     7eb87000-7ebe7000       Deferred        advapi32<elf>
  \-PE  7eb90000-7ebe7000       \               advapi32
ELF     7ebe7000-7ec90000       Deferred        gdi32<elf>
  \-PE  7ebf0000-7ec90000       \               gdi32
ELF     7ec90000-7edca000       Deferred        user32<elf>
  \-PE  7eca0000-7edca000       \               user32
ELF     7edca000-7edd6000       Deferred        libnss_files.so.2
ELF     7edd6000-7ede1000       Deferred        libnss_nis.so.2
ELF     7ede1000-7edf7000       Deferred        libnsl.so.1
ELF     7efaa000-7efcf000       Deferred        libm.so.6
ELF     7efcf000-7efd3000       Deferred        libxau.so.6
ELF     7efd3000-7efe7000       Deferred        lz32<elf>
  \-PE  7efe0000-7efe7000       \               lz32
ELF     7efe7000-7f000000       Deferred        version<elf>
  \-PE  7eff0000-7f000000       \               version
ELF     f74d1000-f74d6000       Deferred        libuuid.so.1
ELF     f74d6000-f74de000       Deferred        libnss_compat.so.2
ELF     f74df000-f74e3000       Deferred        libdl.so.2
ELF     f74e4000-f7637000       Deferred        libc.so.6
ELF     f7637000-f7650000       Deferred        libpthread.so.0
ELF     f7681000-f77c3000       Dwarf           libwine.so.1
ELF     f77c4000-f77e1000       Deferred        ld-linux.so.2
ELF     ffffe000-fffff000       Deferred        [vdso].so
Threads:
process  tid      prio (all id:s are in hex)
00000008 setup.exe
        00000009    0
0000000c services.exe
        0000002a    0
        00000029    0
        00000028    0
        00000024    0
        00000023    0
        0000000e    0
        0000000d    0
00000014 explorer.exe
        00000015    0
00000025 winedevice.exe
        0000002b    0
        00000027    0
        00000026    0
0000002c (D) Z:\mnt\cdrom\setup.exe
        0000002e    0
        0000002d    0 <==
Backtrace:

here it gets stuck until I "killall setup.exe" then it terminates.

Any idea?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, are you able to run anything else, and have you been able to run this particular application with a fresh Wine-environment before?
Is this Worms3D that I found you had been posting about at the Wine-forum?
Test results at the AppDB suggests it should run without any modifications so it shouldn't be the problem.

While it doesn't seem like it's not finding files, you could still try this to be sure:

Code:
wine start 'Z:\mnt\cdrom\setup.exe'

If that's indeed the path.
Alternatively:

Code:
wine start /Unix "/mnt/cdrom/setup.exe"

See if there is any change at all.

The

Code:

seems interesting.
I don't remember seeing that myself before, but it's probably not a game-stopping issue from the looks of my findings.

The

Code:
err:module:map_image Could not map section .reloc, file probably truncated

likewise doesn't tell me anything immediately; don't remember seeing that either, and the results I found about it don't exactly seem to help in figuring out if this can be an issue.

Have you tried setting a different Windows version from winecfg?
That's probably the most simple thing to try out at first, to see if there is any difference at all.

Quite tired at the moment... can't really think of anything else but I'll keep on thinking about it and let you know if I got anything.
In the mean time, post back if you are able to run other applications at all now, and if it's not Worms3D but something else, let me know.
Also if it's something else, have you been able to run it before, without any tweaks?

Just some thoughts~
overkll
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on wine many moons ago because of upgrades breaking it.

Moved to virtualbox-bin and now I don't have to waste my time fixing wine or worrying about program compatiblity. I have full compatibility and have both winXP 32bit and win7-64bit virtual machines.

If you are using wine for games, vmware has better graphics than virtualbox.

Just my two cents worth.
Efo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo,

Yes, I am trying to run worms3d, and it used to work fine on this machine until an update (as you can see from the useless Wine-forum this has been going on for a while). I have never been able to figure out which update actually messed it up.
Since then I tried different versions of wine and several fresh installs to no avail. I tried different version of window$ too, but when it used to work I had wine configured as XP.
Yes, 'Z:\mnt\cdrom\setup.exe' is the actual path.

I rebooted the box (just in case), remove the old Tmp directorey and then I tried:
Code:

env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Tmp wine start 'Z:\mnt\cdrom\setup.exe'

Now, after creating the new wine profile in ~/Tmp the worms3d installation actually started; I picked the language, and then I got
Code:

wine: created the configuration directory '/home/user/Tmp'
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xe8e8fc, overlapped 0xe8e8e0): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/user/Tmp' has been updated.
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
err:ole:TLB_ReadTypeLib Loading of typelib L"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\InstallShield\\Professional\\RunTime\\IsProBE.tlb" failed with error 2
wine: Call from 0x7b83a740 to unimplemented function apphelp.dll.ApphelpCheckInstallShieldPackage, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function apphelp.dll.ApphelpCheckInstallShieldPackage called at address 0x7b83a740 (thread 002f), starting debugger...
wine: Call from 0x7b83a740 to unimplemented function apphelp.dll.ApphelpCheckInstallShieldPackage, aborting

Hi overkll,

Thanks for the tip. I would rather avoid M$ products if I can, but if I get desperate enough I could follow your suggestions and try to dig up some old XP CD and install the thing on a virtual machine :(
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, could you try version 1.3.33 or later, as I found some 'apphelp.dll.ApphelpCheckInstallShieldPackage' related issues regarding the 1.3.32 version of Wine... perhaps it could be that now.

I think I actually have the game somewhere... just have to find it so that I could actually test it myself!
For the time being, I would test 1.3.33 or 1.3.37 even but before that, just out of curiosity, I would try something like this with the 1.3.32 version:

Code:
WINEDLLOVERRIDES=apphelp=d WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Tmp wine start 'Z:\mnt\cdrom\setup.exe'

As suggested for a seemingly similar issue for another application here:
    http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28975#c0
Can't actually test the command so I'm unsure if it works at all like that.

On another note, I just noticed that I got those err:mscoree messages when creating a new prefix myself... guess that's rather new, or I just never noticed them, heh.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd post some thoughts on Virtualisation.

I had not tried it before; the post above probably reminded me of that I had been going to, and finally decided to go fer it.
So, first I took a look-see into VMware, or vmware-workstation to be specific.
It took a while to understand what product I was really after, and when I would not get any eMail from them after registering, and I couldn't log in with the correct password (I think it's correct) nor get the eMail to re-set it, I decided to leave VMware be.

At that point, I was already quite sure that I would not like VMware, at all, even if I would be able to download the package(s) via other means.
So I decided to look into alternatives.
Found VirtualBox, and wow, that one I like. It's very intuitive to use, and what is more, it works!
Well, not that I had anything to compare it with, but not being able to even install VMware using their official-site doesn't give a good impression, and somehow I had thoughts that it wouldn't probably be fun to use either (to be confirmed later on).

Windows 7 64bit runs well with VirtualBox, from what I can tell.
And it does have 2D and 3D hardware acceleration capabilities, but they're not very useful (for the time being any ways).
What that means is, some things will run OK, but anything more demanding/using more 'special stuff' doesn't.

I didn't try many things, but Amnesia and Penumbra for example wont run (might be able to with some tweaking? I am doubtful though) but Worms Reloaded does run, and in-fact runs rather well.
Breath of Death VII and Call of Cthulhu will run as well (a little too fast actually, can't remember if it did that under actual Windows installation for me too). These two are .NET/XNA applications, and what's more, they require Windows Media Player to function properly which is why they are having hard time running with Wine (I have got them to run for the most part, I think, but the WMP requirement is where I'm stuck as far as I can tell).
Amnesia and Penumbra USED to run via Wine, but haven't been running for a time now and I am at a loss as to why... much as you have been with this Worm-issue, but that is really the only mystery I have had with Wine.

So, for the time being, VirtualBox is definitely lacking on 3D-performance.
I have read that VMware supposedly does this better, and I did give it another shot, now realising vmware-player was probably what I wanted. I wasn't able to get even that from the official site with the account I had registered with at first, so I decided to give up on that and registered again, with another hotmail-address, and was actually able to get the file downloaded.

Okay, so, from the very start, after launching the 'player', I disliked a lot.
It just 'feels' awkward and setting up the machine is far from the fun it was/is with VirtualBox (in my humble opinion), and it couldn't get the network running (yes I had the correct modules probed, I think).

Basically everything with the interface 'felt' worse than that of the VirtualBox, and the OS would actually 'stagger' or 'freeze' at times... possibly not a feature but rather something wrong with the installation (no such issues with VirtualBox).

So I didn't really run anything with VMware as it just got me frustrated.
It may be commercial, it may be the most well-known virtualisation solution there is for the time being, but wow, colour me unimpressed.
I'd still say, try them all, and see what you like.
VirtualBox obviously takes the points from me, no questions asked, for basically everything even if the 3D-performance is still on its way.

Here's one (most recent I think) go on it at Phoronix.
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=virtualbox_41_3d&num=1
With all the difficulties on even getting the package(s) for VMware via their own site, and the 'general feel' of the vmware-player, doesn't give a good impression at all to me, and after reading the above article, I guess I now know why any benchmark results done with VMware are not everywhere to be found (with a quick'ish search, I found 1 video at Youtube, running 3Dmark2001 and running it rather well from the looks of it):
    Next up I will see about delivering OpenGL benchmarks from VMware's platform, which takes advantage of the Gallium3D architecture for exposing hardware acceleration to guest machines, but normally the publishing of VMware benchmark results is not allowed.
Without really looking into what this means, I do find it a peculiar statement...
I will probably try it out again myself some time as I didn't really get to test anything at all with it, yet.

And I do hope VirtualBox will keep on getting better, and it will surely find a permanent virtual spot in my box...

Oopsies, that came out longer than I had intended.
Well, just some thoughts!
Efo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chiitoo,

That did the trick!
Code:

WINEDLLOVERRIDES=apphelp=d WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Tmp wine start 'Z:\mnt\cdrom\setup.exe'

Now I added "apphelp (disable)" permanently as a DDL override in the winecfg Libraries.
Worms3D is installed and working just like it used to.

Thanks again for the help. I also appreciated your thoughts on VM, fortunately I dont need it quite yet :D

Efo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: