make oldconfig
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: make oldconfig Reply with quote

After upgrading kernel I was always doing copying old .config and run "make oldconfig" I never run into any problems but reading the upgrade procedure it seems to me it might not be safe.
Quote:
It is sometimes possible to save time by re-using the configuration file from your old kernel when configuring the new one. Note that this is generally unsafe -- too many changes between every kernel release for this to be a reliable upgrade path.

Does running "genkernel all" transfer all changes from old kernel ".config" to a new one?

What is the best way of doing it to be sure that certain selection user selects from old "config" get transfer?
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used make oldnoconfig or its variations and never had a problem that I could trace to it. On the few occassions I have had a non-working kernel, redoing the entire configuration by hand ended up with exactly the same .config that was generated for me. I frequently encourage others to use make oldnoconfig, and no one has ever come back to me with a problem with it. That said, there are some people on the forum, notably Jaglover, who swear that it failed for them at some point.
duderonomy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got myself into a brain spin about why I want or may not want to run make oldconfig.
Found this thread...
Saw this:
this patch replaces 'oldnoconfig' with 'olddefconfig'
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1394011/

Gentoo community rocks the house!
:D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: