View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] fglrx, AMD3510MX/Radeon HD6620, and Xorg - can't st Reply with quote

Hello,

First, here is some general background. Skip below to SYMPTOMS for my exact issue:

I’m in the process of setting up my first Gentoo install. So far I am really enjoying the system, mainly because of how BSD-like it is. I have some general un*x and Linux background, but I have been out of the FOSS scene for several years and am a bit rusty in some areas. I’d really like to go with Gentoo as my primary distribution because I don’t like the direction some of the more mainstream distributions have gone: For instance, Debian (my old distro of choice when I wasn’t using one of the BSD’s) now defaults to booting graphically into gdm3 if you install X. Rather than paring down a Debian install and rebuilding it the way I like it, I’d like to start with a distro that is more minimal out of the box. I thought this was going to be Slackware, but I tried Gentoo on a whim and I am pretty impressed with it. It almost felt like installing NetBSD!

Again, I have some general Linux background, but my knowledge is a bit outdated. Xorg is new to me, but before the fork I was pretty comfortable setting up XFree86, which was more temperamental. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty and do my research, but I seem to be going in circles trying to get X set up on this Gentoo laptop. I was hesitant to waste the time of others with requests for help, but I have worked on this for a week and have reached a point where I may be in over my head. I am still learning the portage/emerge system, so I might be making some trivial mistake somewhere.

I fear my issue may be fairly hardware-specific. This is a brand-new Samsung Series 3 NP305V laptop, with the fairly-new AMD 3510MX (Llano core) APU with on-die Radeon HD 6620 display adapter. The mainboard chipset appears to be AMD all the way, with a Realtek 1000BT NIC and Atheros 802.11/bluetooth. Samsung hasn’t released specs for the system and their support staff gave me incorrect specs (they told me it was an Intel chipset with an Intel Core i3 CPU), so all of my information comes from probing. Let me know if more specific information is needed, but I am fairly certain the APU is the crux of all my woes.

Most recent distro’s boot with a black screen when “fb" or Xorg start modesetting, or simply hang on boot. The open source Radeon driver simply doesn’t seem to support this display adapter, although the VESA drivers seem to work OK, but with distorted aspect ratio due to the wide screen on this laptop. Maybe this is fixable, but I’d like 3D acceleration, so I have focused my efforts on a more hardware-specific driver.

My only good option seems to be to use the proprietary ATI “fglrx” driver. I know the driver works at least passably well with my hardware, because I have gotten it to work on Debian testing/wheezy (using the package manager) and Fedora (by simply running the ATI installer, since I don’t really care about the Fedora system, and am keeping it just in case I hose an install and need a bootable system to fall back to). The xorg.conf generated by “aticonfig --initial” is identical on the working Debian and Fedora systems and the broken Gentoo system.

SYMPTOMS:

If I delete any existing /etc/xorg.conf and run “sudo /usr/bin/Xorg -configure”, the command fails immediately without any probing, stating “No devices to configure. Configuration failed.” Maybe this is to be expected since I'm using a proprietary driver module? Full stderr and log output is at the end of this post.

If I then run “startx” (still with no xorg.conf), nothing happens for about 30 seconds, then the command exits. No probing is done and the screen never flashes or turns black (full stderr and log at end of post).

If I run “sudo aticonfig --initial”, an xorg.conf is produced, identical to that on my Debian partition (where it actually works). If I then run “startx,” I get a delay of about 10 seconds, followed by a black screen which flashes twice like it’s attempting a probe. Then Xorg shuts down and returns me to the console shell. On stderr, I do get the following warning:

Code:
“fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:1:1) found”

But my research seems to indicate that this is harmless, and most likely related to these display adapters being capable of dual-head support. Once again, full output and log is below.

I have tried to get this working with kernel 3.1 and 3.2 from gentoo-sources. The other 0-day hardware in this system forces me to use such a recent kernel (in particular, I seem to need a recent version of the ath9k driver). I strongly suspect the problem lies with my installation of the xorg-drivers, but I am not familiar enough with xorg and portage to be more specific. I took a hard drive image before starting work on X configuration, so it would be no big deal if I need to roll the system back to a pretty clean install and start fresh.

I have based my actions on the following resources:

Gentoo X Server Configuration HOWTO
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

(I realise this HOWTO deals more with the open-source drivers. I’ve used it as a rough guide for general X configuration, overriding its recommendations with the following more hardware-specific resource)

ATI Unofficial community wiki Gentoo installation guide for fglrx:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Gentoo_Installation_Guide

This has been my main resource for kernel configuration, so you can assume that my kernel is set up as described in the link above. I realise there is a similar Gentoo community wiki page, but the version on the ATI unofficial wiki seems more current.

MISC INFO:

I am using the ati-drivers ebuild, not the installer from the ATI website. If I end up rolling my system back, I will probably first try the ATI installer just out of curiosity, since it worked on Fedora. But I’d ideally like to get things working under Portage to ensure smooth sync’ing and upgrading.

I realise most of the commands in my xinitrc are not yet installed. I do have twm installed. I even tried temprarily deleting my system-wide xinitrc and using a very simple ~/.xinitrc which just invokes twm, but the results were the same. Anyway, if Xorg works at all like XFree86, I should be able to start the X server without any valid commands in xinitrc and get the grey background and X cursor, right?

One thing I wasn’t completely sure about was the agpgart driver. I am using the Opteron/Athlon64 on-chip agpgart driver. Is this appropriate for the new APU’s?

I’m including firmware blobs in the kernel. Under Debian, the SUMO firmware is used. Under Gentoo, I’ve included all the blobs for the Radeon HD 6000 series, taking a shotgun approach. SUMO is definitely in there. The extra blobs shouldn’t hurt, should they? I intend to take them out when things are working, but I'm trying to avoid unnecessary configuration changes until I know what's causing my problem.

I’ve left the “radeon" driver out of the kernel. I’m trying to omit open-source “radeon" support completely to avoid conflicts with the fglrx driver, since I know the “radeon” driver doesn’t work with my hardware. I’m also leaving the DRI/DRI2 stuff out of the kernel, since fglrx apparently has its own direct rendering code which it uses instead.

I can modprobe fglrx. It loads fine and appears in lsmod output.

I’m not sure if I need the mesa libs or not. Maybe someone can enlighten me? I’ve never really done much with 3d acceleration under FOSS systems, though I would certainly like to with this system :). Right now, I am just trying to get a minimal working X server as a baseline, before I take a backup image and start playing with window managers and desktop environments. Should mesa be required at this point, or at all?

I’m using the xorg-x11 ebuild instead of xorg-xserver, because I wanted to grab fonts and everything in one fell swoop and simplify the later configuration. I have tried unmerging and re-emerging this package, as well as xorg-drivers, to no avail.

Searching the forums, I see a similar issue marked SOLVED, which turned out to be user error, booting the wrong kernel. I was in fact booting the wrong kernel for a day or two while troubleshooting my problem, but I eventually realised this on my own and modified the GRUB2 scripts on my Debian system (where I manage the bootloader) to show full kernel filenames at boot time, so I am confident this is no longer a factor.

Here are relevant lines from my make.conf. Maybe there is a problem here; I put this together with a combination of guesswork, the handbook, and the guides I mentioned above. For example, I’ve omitted the “radeon” driver from VIDEO_CARDS because I am reasonably certain it will not work with my APU. I added ACCEPT="~AMD64“ preemptively because I wanted to try running compiz-fusion and ~AMD64 seems to be required to unmask its dependencies. I realize there are some extra codec flags that shouldn’t be necessary to get X working:

Code:

CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=native"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
USE="mmx sse sse2 X alsa bluetooth acpi aalib aac a53 fglrx mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer x264 modules firefox opengl kde gnome gtk offensive flac posix python sdl ssl svgalib threads win32codecs udev"
VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics"

My most recent action was based on a forum post:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/202676

The issue seemed similar to my own, so for giggles I did

Code:
“emerge x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.1“

All I got for my trouble was a segmentation fault (log below), so I quickly umerged the package. I feel like I'm on the right track here with x11-drivers, but this is getting a little over my head. Are the xf86-* drivers even compatible with Xorg?

I think I’ve covered the relevant information. Please let me know if more is needed. Maybe I’m doing something wrong with Portage when I install Xorg? Or should I give up on compiz-fusion for now, remove ACCEPT="~AMD” from make.conf, and try earlier versions of Xorg and ati-drivers?

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated, especially from anyone who has fglrx running under Gentoo with a recent APU.

If noone has any ideas, my next step is to restore the system from several days ago and start from scratch with X configuration, now that I have a better understanding of what needs to be done.

LOGS/OUTPUT:

stderr from "sudo /usr/bin/Xorg -configure":

[EDIT] I'm cleaning out the logs with the exception of the Xorg version, since they really didn't turn out to be relevant to the problem. There is a representative log in one of my later posts to this thread, if someone is truly interested...

Code:

X.Org X Server 1.11.3

Last edited by meursalt on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: fglrx, AMD3510MX/Radeon HD6620, and Xorg - can't start X Reply with quote

meursalt wrote:
Hello,

First, here is some general background. Skip below to SYMPTOMS for my exact issue:

I’m in the process of setting up my first Gentoo install. So far I am really enjoying the system, mainly because of how BSD-like it is. I have some general un*x and Linux background, but I have been out of the FOSS scene for several years and am a bit rusty in some areas. I’d really like to go with Gentoo as my primary distribution because I don’t like the direction some of the more mainstream distributions have gone: For instance, Debian (my old distro of choice when I wasn’t using one of the BSD’s) now defaults to booting graphically into gdm3 if you install X. Rather than paring down a Debian install and rebuilding it the way I like it, I’d like to start with a distro that is more minimal out of the box. I thought this was going to be Slackware, but I tried Gentoo on a whim and I am pretty impressed with it. It almost felt like installing NetBSD!

Again, I have some general Linux background, but my knowledge is a bit outdated. Xorg is new to me, but before the fork I was pretty comfortable setting up XFree86, which was more temperamental. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty and do my research, but I seem to be going in circles trying to get X set up on this Gentoo laptop. I was hesitant to waste the time of others with requests for help, but I have worked on this for a week and have reached a point where I may be in over my head. I am still learning the portage/emerge system, so I might be making some trivial mistake somewhere.

I fear my issue may be fairly hardware-specific. This is a brand-new Samsung Series 3 NP305V laptop, with the fairly-new AMD 3510MX (Llano core) APU with on-die Radeon HD 6620 display adapter. The mainboard chipset appears to be AMD all the way, with a Realtek 1000BT NIC and Atheros 802.11/bluetooth. Samsung hasn’t released specs for the system and their support staff gave me incorrect specs (they told me it was an Intel chipset with an Intel Core i3 CPU), so all of my information comes from probing. Let me know if more specific information is needed, but I am fairly certain the APU is the crux of all my woes.

Most recent distro’s boot with a black screen when “fb" or Xorg start modesetting, or simply hang on boot. The open source Radeon driver simply doesn’t seem to support this display adapter, although the VESA drivers seem to work OK, but with distorted aspect ratio due to the wide screen on this laptop. Maybe this is fixable, but I’d like 3D acceleration, so I have focused my efforts on a more hardware-specific driver.

My only good option seems to be to use the proprietary ATI “fglrx” driver. I know the driver works at least passably well with my hardware, because I have gotten it to work on Debian testing/wheezy (using the package manager) and Fedora (by simply running the ATI installer, since I don’t really care about the Fedora system, and am keeping it just in case I hose an install and need a bootable system to fall back to). The xorg.conf generated by “aticonfig --initial” is identical on the working Debian and Fedora systems and the broken Gentoo system.

SYMPTOMS:

If I delete any existing /etc/xorg.conf and run “sudo /usr/bin/Xorg -configure”, the command fails immediately without any probing, stating “No devices to configure. Configuration failed.” Maybe this is to be expected since I'm using a proprietary driver module? Full stderr and log output is at the end of this post.

If I then run “startx” (still with no xorg.conf), nothing happens for about 30 seconds, then the command exits. No probing is done and the screen never flashes or turns black (full stderr and log at end of post).

If I run “sudo aticonfig --initial”, an xorg.conf is produced, identical to that on my Debian partition (where it actually works). If I then run “startx,” I get a delay of about 10 seconds, followed by a black screen which flashes twice like it’s attempting a probe. Then Xorg shuts down and returns me to the console shell. On stderr, I do get the following warning:

Code:
“fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:1:1) found”

But my research seems to indicate that this is harmless, and most likely related to these display adapters being capable of dual-head support. Once again, full output and log is below.

I have tried to get this working with kernel 3.1 and 3.2 from gentoo-sources. The other 0-day hardware in this system forces me to use such a recent kernel (in particular, I seem to need a recent version of the ath9k driver). I strongly suspect the problem lies with my installation of the xorg-drivers, but I am not familiar enough with xorg and portage to be more specific. I took a hard drive image before starting work on X configuration, so it would be no big deal if I need to roll the system back to a pretty clean install and start fresh.

I have based my actions on the following resources:

Gentoo X Server Configuration HOWTO
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

(I realise this HOWTO deals more with the open-source drivers. I’ve used it as a rough guide for general X configuration, overriding its recommendations with the following more hardware-specific resource)

ATI Unofficial community wiki Gentoo installation guide for fglrx:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Gentoo_Installation_Guide

This has been my main resource for kernel configuration, so you can assume that my kernel is set up as described in the link above. I realise there is a similar Gentoo community wiki page, but the version on the ATI unofficial wiki seems more current.

MISC INFO:

I am using the ati-drivers ebuild, not the installer from the ATI website. If I end up rolling my system back, I will probably first try the ATI installer just out of curiosity, since it worked on Fedora. But I’d ideally like to get things working under Portage to ensure smooth sync’ing and upgrading.

I realise most of the commands in my xinitrc are not yet installed. I do have twm installed. I even tried temprarily deleting my system-wide xinitrc and using a very simple ~/.xinitrc which just invokes twm, but the results were the same. Anyway, if Xorg works at all like XFree86, I should be able to start the X server without any valid commands in xinitrc and get the grey background and X cursor, right?

One thing I wasn’t completely sure about was the agpgart driver. I am using the Opteron/Athlon64 on-chip agpgart driver. Is this appropriate for the new APU’s?

I’m including firmware blobs in the kernel. Under Debian, the SUMO firmware is used. Under Gentoo, I’ve included all the blobs for the Radeon HD 6000 series, taking a shotgun approach. SUMO is definitely in there. The extra blobs shouldn’t hurt, should they? I intend to take them out when things are working, but I'm trying to avoid unnecessary configuration changes until I know what's causing my problem.

I’ve left the “radeon" driver out of the kernel. I’m trying to omit open-source “radeon" support completely to avoid conflicts with the fglrx driver, since I know the “radeon” driver doesn’t work with my hardware. I’m also leaving the DRI/DRI2 stuff out of the kernel, since fglrx apparently has its own direct rendering code which it uses instead.

I can modprobe fglrx. It loads fine and appears in lsmod output.

I’m not sure if I need the mesa libs or not. Maybe someone can enlighten me? I’ve never really done much with 3d acceleration under FOSS systems, though I would certainly like to with this system :). Right now, I am just trying to get a minimal working X server as a baseline, before I take a backup image and start playing with window managers and desktop environments. Should mesa be required at this point, or at all?

I’m using the xorg-x11 ebuild instead of xorg-xserver, because I wanted to grab fonts and everything in one fell swoop and simplify the later configuration. I have tried unmerging and re-emerging this package, as well as xorg-drivers, to no avail.

Searching the forums, I see a similar issue marked SOLVED, which turned out to be user error, booting the wrong kernel. I was in fact booting the wrong kernel for a day or two while troubleshooting my problem, but I eventually realised this on my own and modified the GRUB2 scripts on my Debian system (where I manage the bootloader) to show full kernel filenames at boot time, so I am confident this is no longer a factor.

Here are relevant lines from my make.conf. Maybe there is a problem here; I put this together with a combination of guesswork, the handbook, and the guides I mentioned above. For example, I’ve omitted the “radeon” driver from VIDEO_CARDS because I am reasonably certain it will not work with my APU. I added ACCEPT="~AMD64“ preemptively because I wanted to try running compiz-fusion and ~AMD64 seems to be required to unmask its dependencies. I realize there are some extra codec flags that shouldn’t be necessary to get X working:

Code:

CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=native"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
USE="mmx sse sse2 X alsa bluetooth acpi aalib aac a53 fglrx mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer x264 modules firefox opengl kde gnome gtk offensive flac posix python sdl ssl svgalib threads win32codecs udev"
VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics"

My most recent action was based on a forum post:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/202676

The issue seemed similar to my own, so for giggles I did

Code:
“emerge x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.1“

All I got for my trouble was a segmentation fault (log below), so I quickly umerged the package. I feel like I'm on the right track here with x11-drivers, but this is getting a little over my head. Are the xf86-* drivers even compatible with Xorg?

I think I’ve covered the relevant information. Please let me know if more is needed. Maybe I’m doing something wrong with Portage when I install Xorg? Or should I give up on compiz-fusion for now, remove ACCEPT="~AMD” from make.conf, and try earlier versions of Xorg and ati-drivers?

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated, especially from anyone who has fglrx running under Gentoo with a recent APU.

If noone has any ideas, my next step is to restore the system from several days ago and start from scratch with X configuration, now that I have a better understanding of what needs to be done.

LOGS/OUTPUT:

stderr from "sudo /usr/bin/Xorg -configure":

Code:

X.Org X Server 1.11.3
Release Date: 2011-12-16
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 x86_64 Gentoo
Current Operating System: Linux rlyeh 3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 #2 SMP Sat Jan 7 17:33:45 CST 2012 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 root=/dev/sda10
Build Date: 08 January 2012  12:44:21AM

Current version of pixman: 0.24.0
   Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
   to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
   (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
   (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jan  9 01:09:06 2012
List of video drivers:
   fglrx
No devices to configure.  Configuration failed.
Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log from same command:
Code:
[   122.176]
X.Org X Server 1.11.3
[   122.176] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[   122.176] Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 x86_64 Gentoo
[   122.176] Current Operating System: Linux rlyeh 3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 #2 SMP Sat Jan 7 17:33:45 CST 2012 x86_64
[   122.176] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 root=/dev/sda10
[   122.176] Build Date: 08 January 2012  12:44:21AM
[   122.176] 
[   122.176] Current version of pixman: 0.24.0
[   122.176]    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
[   122.176] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
[   122.176] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jan  9 01:09:06 2012
[   122.176] (II) Loader magic: 0x7d5ae0
[   122.176] (II) Module ABI versions:
[   122.176]    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[   122.176]    X.Org Video Driver: 11.0
[   122.176]    X.Org XInput driver : 13.0
[   122.176]    X.Org Server Extension : 6.0
[   122.179] (--) PCI:*(0:0:1:0) 1002:9641:144d:c608 rev 0, Mem @ 0xb0000000/268435456, 0xfeb00000/262144, I/O @ 0x0000f000/256
[   122.206] List of video drivers:
[   122.206]    fglrx
[   122.206] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
[   122.221] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
[   122.435] (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
[   122.453]    compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 8.92.6
[   122.453]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[   122.453] (II) Loading sub module "fglrxdrm"
[   122.453] (II) LoadModule: "fglrxdrm"
[   122.453] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/linux/libfglrxdrm.so
[   122.470] (II) Module fglrxdrm: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
[   122.470]    compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 8.92.6
[   122.470] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
[   122.543] (II) Loading PCS database from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
[   122.567] No devices to configure.  Configuration failed.

stderr from running "startx" with no xorg.conf"

Code:
hostname: Host name lookup failure
xauth:  file /home/case/.serverauth.2502 does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.11.3
Current Operating System: Linux rlyeh 3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 #2 SMP Sat Jan 7 17:33:45 CST 2012 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 root=/dev/sda10

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jan  9 01:12:26 2012
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

Log from startx with no xorg.conf:

Code:
[   321.541]
X.Org X Server 1.11.3
[   321.541] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[   321.541] Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 x86_64 Gentoo
[   321.541] Current Operating System: Linux rlyeh 3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 #2 SMP Sat Jan 7 17:33:45 CST 2012 x86_64
[   321.541] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 root=/dev/sda10
[   321.541] Build Date: 08 January 2012  12:44:21AM
[   321.541] 
[   321.541] Current version of pixman: 0.24.0
[   321.541]    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
[   321.541] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
[   321.541] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jan  9 01:12:26 2012
[   321.913] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[   321.913] (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.
[   321.913] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[   321.913] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[   321.913] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[   321.913] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
   Using a default monitor configuration.
[   321.913] (==) Automatically adding devices
[   321.913] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[   321.913] (==) FontPath set to:
   /usr/share/fonts/misc/,
   /usr/share/fonts/TTF/,
   /usr/share/fonts/OTF/,
   /usr/share/fonts/Type1/,
   /usr/share/fonts/100dpi/,
   /usr/share/fonts/75dpi/
[   321.913] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
[   321.913] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
   If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[   321.913] (II) Loader magic: 0x7d5ae0
[   321.913] (II) Module ABI versions:
[   321.913]    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[   321.913]    X.Org Video Driver: 11.0
[   321.913]    X.Org XInput driver : 13.0
[   321.913]    X.Org Server Extension : 6.0
[   321.916] (--) PCI:*(0:0:1:0) 1002:9641:144d:c608 rev 0, Mem @ 0xb0000000/268435456, 0xfeb00000/262144, I/O @ 0x0000f000/256
[   321.916] (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
[   321.916] (II) LoadModule: "extmod"
[   321.916] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
[   321.916] (II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   321.916]    compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.0.0
[   321.916]    Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[   321.916]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[   321.916] (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[   321.916] (II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
[   321.916] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
[   321.916] (II) Loading extension DPMS
[   321.916] (II) Loading extension XVideo
[   321.916] (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[   321.916] (II) Loading extension X-Resource
[   321.916] (II) LoadModule: "dbe"
[   321.916] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
[   321.916] (II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   321.916]    compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.0.0
[   321.916]    Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[   321.916]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[   321.916] (II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
[   321.916] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[   321.916] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[   321.917] (II) Module glx: vendor="Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."
[   321.917]    compiled for 6.9.0, module version = 1.0.0
[   321.917] (II) Loading extension GLX
[   321.917] (II) LoadModule: "record"
[   321.917] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
[   321.917] (II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   321.917]    compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.13.0
[   321.917]    Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[   321.917]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[   321.917] (II) Loading extension RECORD
[   321.917] (II) LoadModule: "dri"
[   321.917] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
[   321.917] (II) UnloadModule: "dri"
[   321.917] (II) Unloading dri
[   321.917] (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
[   321.917] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
[   321.917] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri2
[   321.917] (II) UnloadModule: "dri2"
[   321.917] (II) Unloading dri2
[   321.917] (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
[   321.917] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 0
[   321.917] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 1
[   321.917] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 2
[   321.917] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[   321.917] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[   321.918] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module ati
[   321.918] (II) UnloadModule: "ati"
[   321.918] (II) Unloading ati
[   321.918] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
[   321.918] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[   321.918] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
[   321.918] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
[   321.918] (II) Unloading vesa
[   321.918] (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
[   321.918] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[   321.918] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
[   321.918] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
[   321.918] (II) Unloading fbdev
[   321.918] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[   321.918] (EE) No drivers available.
[   321.918]
Fatal server error:
[   321.918] no screens found
[   321.918]
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[   321.918] Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[   321.918]

stderr from "startx" with xorg.conf generated by aticonfig --initial:

Code:
hostname: Host name lookup failure
xauth:  file /home/case/.serverauth.2540 does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.11.3

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jan  9 01:14:34 2012
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:1:1) found
[-     XMM_GLX] [I ]glesxXvInit Configureable RGBOutputColorRange
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

log from same instance of startx:

[code][ 450.207]
X.Org X Server 1.11.3
[ 450.207] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[ 450.207] Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 x86_64 Gentoo
[ 450.207] Current Operating System: Linux rlyeh 3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 #2 SMP Sat Jan 7 17:33:45 CST 2012 x86_64
[ 450.207] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3 root=/dev/sda10
[ 450.207] Build Date: 08 January 2012 12:44:21AM
[ 450.207]
[ 450.207] Current version of pixman: 0.24.0
[ 450.207] Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
[ 450.207] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
[ 450.207] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jan 9 01:14:34 2012
[ 450.207] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
[ 450.207] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[ 450.207] (==) ServerLayout "aticonfig Layout"
[ 450.207] (**) |-->Screen "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" (0)
[ 450.207] (**) | |-->Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
[ 450.207] (**) | |-->Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
[ 450.207] (==) Automatically adding devices
[ 450.207] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[ 450.207] (==) FontPath set to:
/usr/share/fonts/misc/,
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/,
/usr/share/fonts/OTF/,
/usr/share/fonts/Type1/,
/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/,
/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/
[ 450.207] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
[ 450.207] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[ 450.207] (II) Loader magic: 0x7d5ae0
[ 450.207] (II) Module ABI versions:
[ 450.207] X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[ 450.207] X.Org Video Driver: 11.0
[ 450.207] X.Org XInput driver : 13.0
[ 450.207] X.Org Server Extension : 6.0
[ 450.211] (--) PCI:*(0:0:1:0) 1002:9641:144d:c608 rev 0, Mem @ 0xb0000000/268435456, 0xfeb00000/262144, I/O @ 0x0000f000/256
[ 450.211] (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
[ 450.211] (II) "extmod" will be loaded by default.
[ 450.211] (II) "dbe" will be loaded by default.
[ 450.211] (II) "glx" will be loaded by default.
[ 450.211] (II) "record" will be loaded by default.
[ 450.211] (II) "dri" will be loaded by default.
[ 450.211] (II) "dri2" will be loaded by default.
[ 450.211] (II) LoadModule: "extmod"
[ 450.211] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
[ 450.211] (II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 450.211] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.0.0
[ 450.211] Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[ 450.211] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 450.211] (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[ 450.211] (II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
[ 450.211] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
[ 450.211] (II) Loading extension DPMS
[ 450.211] (II) Loading extension XVideo
[ 450.211] (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[ 450.211] (II) Loading extension X-Resource
[ 450.211] (II) LoadModule: "dbe"
[ 450.211] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
[ 450.211] (II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 450.211] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.0.0
[ 450.211] Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[ 450.211] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 450.211] (II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
[ 450.211] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[ 450.211] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[ 450.211] (II) Module glx: vendor="Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."
[ 450.211] compiled for 6.9.0, module version = 1.0.0
[ 450.212] (II) Loading extension GLX
[ 450.212] (II) LoadModule: "record"
[ 450.212] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
[ 450.212] (II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 450.212] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.13.0
[ 450.212] Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[ 450.212] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 450.212] (II) Loading extension RECORD
[ 450.212] (II) LoadModule: "dri"
[ 450.212] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
[ 450.212] (II) UnloadModule: "dri"
[ 450.212] (II) Unloading dri
[ 450.212] (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 450.212] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
[ 450.212] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri2
[ 450.212] (II) UnloadModule: "dri2"
[ 450.212] (II) Unloading dri2
[ 450.212] (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 450.212] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
[ 450.212] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
[ 450.228] (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
[ 450.228] compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 8.92.6
[ 450.228] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 450.228] (II) Loading sub module "fglrxdrm"
[ 450.228] (II) LoadModule: "fglrxdrm"
[ 450.228] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/linux/libfglrxdrm.so
[ 450.228] (II) Module fglrxdrm: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
[ 450.228] compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 8.92.6
[ 450.228] (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.92.6
[ 450.228] (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 8.92
[ 450.228] (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Nov 9 2011 21:11:31
[ 450.228] (--) using VT number 7

[ 450.230] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
[ 450.237] (II) Loading PCS database from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
[ 450.238] (--) Chipset Supported AMD Graphics Processor (0x9641) found
[ 450.238] (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:1:1) found
[ 450.239] (II) AMD Video driver is running on a device belonging to a group targeted for this release
[ 450.239] (II) AMD Video driver is signed
[ 450.240] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
[ 450.240] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/linux/libfglrxdrm.so
[ 450.240] (II) fglrx(0): pEnt->device->identifier=0x1a0f5b0
[ 450.240] (II) fglrx(0): === [xdl_xs111_atiddxPreInit] === begin
[ 450.240] (II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
[ 450.240] (II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
[ 450.240] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libvgahw.so
[ 450.240] (II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 450.240] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 0.1.0
[ 450.240] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
[ 450.240] (**) fglrx(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
[ 450.240] (II) fglrx(0): Pixel depth = 24 bits stored in 4 bytes (32 bpp pixmaps)
[ 450.240] (==) fglrx(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[ 450.240] (**) fglrx(0): Option "DPMS" "true"
[ 450.240] (==) fglrx(0): RGB weight 888
[ 450.240] (II) fglrx(0): Using 8 bits per RGB
[ 450.240] (==) fglrx(0): Buffer Tiling is ON
[ 450.240] (II) Loading sub module "fglrxdrm"
[ 450.241] (II) LoadModule: "fglrxdrm"
[ 450.241] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/linux/libfglrxdrm.so
[ 450.241] (II) Module fglrxdrm: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
[ 450.241] compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 8.92.6
[ 450.242] ukiDynamicMajor: found major device number 250
[ 450.242] ukiDynamicMajor: found major device number 250
[ 450.242] ukiOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID PCI:0:1:0
[ 450.242] ukiOpenDevice: node name is /dev/ati/card0
[ 450.243] ukiOpenDevice: open result is 12, (OK)
[ 450.243] ukiOpenByBusid: ukiOpenMinor returns 12
[ 450.243] ukiOpenByBusid: ukiGetBusid reports PCI:0:1:0
[ 450.243] (==) fglrx(0): NoAccel = NO
[ 450.243] (==) fglrx(0): ATI 2D Acceleration Architecture enabled
[ 450.243] (--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "AMD Radeon HD 6620G" (Chipset = 0x9641)
[ 450.243] (--) fglrx(0): (PciSubVendor = 0x144d, PciSubDevice = 0xc608)
[ 450.243] (==) fglrx(0): board vendor info: third party graphics adapter - NOT original ATI
[ 450.243] (--) fglrx(0): Linear framebuffer (phys) at 0xb0000000
[ 450.243] (--) fglrx(0): MMIO registers at 0xfeb00000
[ 450.243] (--) fglrx(0): I/O port at 0x0000f000
[ 450.243] (==) fglrx(0): ROM-BIOS at 0x000c0000
[ 450.265] (II) fglrx(0): Battery is used
[ 450.288] (II) fglrx(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
[ 450.356] (II) Loading sub module "vbe"
[ 450.356] (II) LoadModule: "vbe"
[ 450.356] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libvbe.so
[ 450.356] (II) Module vbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 450.356] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.1.0
[ 450.356] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
[ 450.356] (II) fglrx(0): VESA BIOS detected
[ 450.356] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
[ 450.356] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 16384 kB
[ 450.356] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM: AMD ATOMBIOS
[ 450.356] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 12.43
[ 450.356] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: (C) 1988-2010, AMD Technologies Inc.
[ 450.356] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: SUMO
[ 450.356] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00
[ 450.362] (II) fglrx(0): ATI Video BIOS revision 9 or later detected
[ 450.362] (--) fglrx(0): Video RAM: 524288 kByte, Type: DDR3
[ 450.362] (II) fglrx(0): PCIE card detected
[ 450.362] (--) fglrx(0): Using per-process page tables (PPPT) as GART.
[ 450.362] (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
[ 450.366] (II) fglrx(0): Using adapter: 0:1.0.
[ 451.049] (II) fglrx(0): [FB] MC range(MCFBBase = 0xf00000000, MCFBSize = 0x20000000)
[ 451.060] (II) fglrx(0): Interrupt handler installed at IRQ 43.
[ 451.060] (II) fglrx(0): RandR 1.2 support is enabled!
[ 451.060] (II) fglrx(0): RandR 1.2 rotation support is enabled!
[ 451.060] (==) fglrx(0): Center Mode is disabled
[ 451.060] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[ 451.060] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[ 451.060] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libfb.so
[ 451.060] (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 451.060] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.0.0
[ 451.060] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[ 451.060] (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
[ 451.060] (II) LoadModule: "ddc"
[ 451.060] (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
[ 451.178] (II) fglrx(0): Finished Initialize PPLIB!
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Output LVDS using monitor section aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Output DFP1 has no monitor section
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Output CRT1 has no monitor section
[ 451.179] (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
[ 451.179] (II) LoadModule: "ddc"
[ 451.179] (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Connected Display0: LVDS
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Display0 EDID data ---------------------------
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Manufacturer: SEC Model: 324a Serial#: 0
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Year: 2011 Week: 0
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): EDID Version: 1.3
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Digital Display Input
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 34 vert.: 19
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Gamma: 2.20
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): No DPMS capabilities specified
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Supported color encodings: RGB 4:4:4 YCrCb 4:4:4
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): redX: 0.570 redY: 0.340 greenX: 0.330 greenY: 0.560
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): blueX: 0.160 blueY: 0.135 whiteX: 0.313 whiteY: 0.329
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Supported detailed timing:
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): clock: 70.7 MHz Image Size: 344 x 194 mm
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): h_active: 1366 h_sync: 1414 h_sync_end 1446 h_blank_end 1486 h_border: 0
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): v_active: 768 v_sync: 770 v_sync_end 775 v_blanking: 792 v_border: 0
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): Unknown vendor-specific block f
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): SAMSUNG
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): LTN156AT190
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): EDID (in hex):
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): 00ffffffffffff004ca34a3200000000
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): 00150103802213780a09259257548f29
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): 22505400000001010101010101010101
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): 0101010101019e1b5678500018303020
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): 250058c2100000190000000f00000000
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): 00000000002387026401000000fe0053
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): 414d53554e470a2020202020000000fe
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): 004c544e31353641543139300a2000b4
[ 451.179] (II) fglrx(0): End of Display0 EDID data --------------------
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): EDID for output LVDS
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Manufacturer: SEC Model: 324a Serial#: 0
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Year: 2011 Week: 0
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): EDID Version: 1.3
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Digital Display Input
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 34 vert.: 19
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Gamma: 2.20
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): No DPMS capabilities specified
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Supported color encodings: RGB 4:4:4 YCrCb 4:4:4
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): redX: 0.570 redY: 0.340 greenX: 0.330 greenY: 0.560
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): blueX: 0.160 blueY: 0.135 whiteX: 0.313 whiteY: 0.329
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Supported detailed timing:
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): clock: 70.7 MHz Image Size: 344 x 194 mm
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): h_active: 1366 h_sync: 1414 h_sync_end 1446 h_blank_end 1486 h_border: 0
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): v_active: 768 v_sync: 770 v_sync_end 775 v_blanking: 792 v_border: 0
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Unknown vendor-specific block f
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): SAMSUNG
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): LTN156AT190
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): EDID (in hex):
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): 00ffffffffffff004ca34a3200000000
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): 00150103802213780a09259257548f29
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): 22505400000001010101010101010101
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): 0101010101019e1b5678500018303020
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): 250058c2100000190000000f00000000
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): 00000000002387026401000000fe0053
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): 414d53554e470a2020202020000000fe
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): 004c544e31353641543139300a2000b4
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): EDID vendor "SEC", prod id 12874
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0 70.70 1366 1414 1446 1486 768 770 775 792 -hsync -vsync (47.6 kHz)
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Printing probed modes for output LVDS
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Modeline "1366x768"x60.0 70.70 1366 1414 1446 1486 768 770 775 792 -hsync -vsync (47.6 kHz)
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Modeline "1360x768"x60.0 70.70 1360 1414 1446 1486 768 770 775 792 -hsync -vsync (47.6 kHz)
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Modeline "1280x768"x60.0 70.70 1280 1414 1446 1486 768 770 775 792 -hsync -vsync (47.6 kHz)
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Modeline "1280x720"x60.0 70.70 1280 1414 1446 1486 720 770 775 792 -hsync -vsync (47.6 kHz)
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0 70.70 1024 1414 1446 1486 768 770 775 792 -hsync -vsync (47.6 kHz)
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Modeline "1024x600"x60.0 70.70 1024 1414 1446 1486 600 770 775 792 -hsync -vsync (47.6 kHz)
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Modeline "800x600"x60.0 70.70 800 1414 1446 1486 600 770 775 792 -hsync -vsync (47.6 kHz)
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Modeline "800x480"x60.0 70.70 800 1414 1446 1486 480 770 775 792 -hsync -vsync (47.6 kHz)
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Modeline "640x480"x60.0 70.70 640 1414 1446 1486 480 770 775 792 -hsync -vsync (47.6 kHz)
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): EDID for output DFP1
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): EDID for output CRT1
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Output LVDS connected
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Output DFP1 disconnected
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Output CRT1 disconnected
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Using exact sizes for initial modes
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Output LVDS using initial mode 1366x768
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Display dimensions: (340, 190) mm
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): DPI set to (102, 102)
[ 451.180] (II) fglrx(0): Adapter AMD Radeon HD 6620G has 2 configurable heads and 1 displays connected.
[ 451.180] (==) fglrx(0): PseudoColor visuals disabled
[ 451.180] (II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
[ 451.180] (II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
[ 451.180] (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
[ 451.180] (==) fglrx(0): NoDRI = NO
[ 451.180] (==) fglrx(0): Capabilities: 0x00000000
[ 451.180] (==) fglrx(0): CapabilitiesEx: 0x00000000
[ 451.180] (==) fglrx(0): OpenGL ClientDriverName: "fglrx_dri.so"
[ 451.180] (==) fglrx(0): UseFastTLS=0
[ 451.180] (==) fglrx(0): BlockSignalsOnLock=1
[ 451.180] (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
[ 451.180] (II) Loading extension ATIFGLRXDRI
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): doing swlDriScreenInit
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): swlDriScreenInit for fglrx driver
[ 451.181] ukiDynamicMajor: found major device number 250
[ 451.181] ukiOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID PCI:0:1:0
[ 451.181] ukiOpenDevice: node name is /dev/ati/card0
[ 451.181] ukiOpenDevice: open result is 17, (OK)
[ 451.181] ukiOpenByBusid: ukiOpenMinor returns 17
[ 451.181] ukiOpenByBusid: ukiGetBusid reports PCI:0:1:0
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): [uki] DRM interface version 1.0
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): [uki] created "fglrx" driver at busid "PCI:0:1:0"
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): [uki] added 8192 byte SAREA at 0x2b000
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): [uki] mapped SAREA 0x2b000 to 0x7f1e724d8000
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): [uki] framebuffer handle = 0x2c000
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): [uki] added 1 reserved context for kernel
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): swlDriScreenInit done
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Version Information:
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): Name: fglrx
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): Version: 8.92.6
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): Date: Nov 9 2011
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): Desc: ATI FireGL DRM kernel module
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version matches driver.
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Build Time Information:
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): Build-Kernel UTS_RELEASE: 3.2.0-gentoo-r1-rlyeh-v3
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): Build-Kernel MODVERSIONS: no
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): Build-Kernel __SMP__: yes
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): Build-Kernel PAGE_SIZE: 0x1000
[ 451.181] (II) fglrx(0): [uki] register handle = 0x0002d000
[ 451.196] (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull
[ 451.196] (II) fglrx(0): FBADPhys: 0xf00000000 FBMappedSize: 0x01004000
[ 451.196] (==) fglrx(0): Backing store disabled
[ 451.196] (II) Loading extension FGLRXEXTENSION
[ 451.196] (**) fglrx(0): DPMS enabled
[ 451.196] (II) fglrx(0): Initialized in-driver Xinerama extension
[ 451.196] (**) fglrx(0): Textured Video is enabled.
[ 451.196] (II) LoadModule: "glesx"
[ 451.196] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/glesx.so
[ 451.197] (II) Module glesx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 451.197] compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 1.0.0
[ 451.197] (II) Loading extension GLESX
[ 451.197] (II) fglrx(0): GLESX enableFlags = 592
[ 451.197] (II) fglrx(0): GLESX is enabled
[ 451.197] (II) LoadModule: "amdxmm"
[ 451.197] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/amdxmm.so
[ 451.197] (II) Module amdxmm: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 451.197] compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 2.0.0
[ 451.232] (II) Loading extension AMDXVOPL
[ 451.232] (II) Loading extension AMDXVBA
[ 451.232] [- XMM_GLX] [I ]glesxXvInit Configureable RGBOutputColorRange
[ 451.233] (II) fglrx(0): UVD feature is enabled(II) fglrx(0):
[ 451.235] (II) fglrx(0): Enable composite support successfully
[ 451.236] (WW) fglrx(0): Option "VendorName" is not used
[ 451.236] (WW) fglrx(0): Option "ModelName" is not used
[ 451.236] (II) fglrx(0): X context handle = 0x1
[ 451.236] (II) fglrx(0): [DRI] installation complete
[ 451.236] (==) fglrx(0): Silken mouse enabled
[ 451.236] (==) fglrx(0): Using HW cursor of display infrastructure!
[ 451.236] (II) fglrx(0): Disabling in-server RandR and enabling in-driver RandR 1.2.
[ 451.236] (II) fglrx(0): 'LVDS LCD' ConnectorType, abstracted as 'Panel'
[ 451.236] (II) fglrx(0): 'eDP LCD' ConnectorType, abstracted as 'Panel'
[ 452.256] (II) fglrx(0): Framebuffer compression enabled: mcAddr=0xf01345000 width=0x800 height=0x258
[ 452.256] (--) RandR disabled
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension SYNC
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
[ 452.256] (II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
[ 452.259] ukiDynamicMajor: found major device number 250
[ 452.259] ukiDynamicMajor: found major device number 250
[ 452.259] ukiOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID PCI:0:1:0
[ 452.259] ukiOpenDevice: node name is /dev/ati/card0
[ 452.259] ukiOpenDevice: open result is 18, (OK)
[ 452.259] ukiOpenByBusid: ukiOpenMinor returns 18
[ 452.259] ukiOpenByBusid: ukiGetBusid reports PCI:0:1:0
[ 452.361] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized OpenGL driver(II) GLX: Initialized DRI GL provider for screen 0
[ 452.378] (II) fglrx(0): Enable the clock gating!
[ 452.378] (II) fglrx(0): Setting screen physical size to 361 x 203
[ 452.500] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event2)
[ 452.500] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[ 452.500] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[ 452.500] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[ 452.500] (II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 452.500] compiled for 1.11.2, module version = 2.6.0
[ 452.500] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[ 452.500] ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 13.0
[ 452.500] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[ 452.500] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[ 452.500] (**) Power Button: always reports core events
[ 452.500] (**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
[ 452.500] (--) Power Button: Found keys
[ 452.500] (II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
[ 452.500] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input2/event2"
[ 452.500] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD, id 6)
[ 452.500] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
[ 452.500] (**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
[ 452.500] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[ 452.534] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Video Bus (/dev/input/event3)
[ 452.534] (**) Video Bus: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[ 452.534] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
[ 452.534] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[ 452.534] (**) Video Bus: always reports core events
[ 452.534] (**) Video Bus: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
[ 452.534] (--) Video Bus: Found keys
[ 452.534] (II) Video Bus: Configuring as keyboard
[ 452.534] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A03:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input3/event3"
[ 452.534] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Video Bus" (type: KEYBOARD, id 7)
[ 452.534] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
[ 452.534] (**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
[ 452.534] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[ 452.535] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event1)
[ 452.535] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[ 452.535] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[ 452.535] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[ 452.535] (**) Power Button: always reports core events
[ 452.535] (**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
[ 452.535] (--) Power Button: Found keys
[ 452.535] (II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
[ 452.535] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input1/event1"
[ 452.535] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD, id 8)
[ 452.535] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
[ 452.535] (**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
[ 452.535] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[ 452.535] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Lid Switch (/dev/input/event0)
[ 452.535] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
[ 452.535] (II) config/udev: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard (/dev/input/event4)
[ 452.535] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[ 452.535] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[ 452.535] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[ 452.535] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
[ 452.535] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
[ 452.535] (--) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
[ 452.535] (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
[ 452.535] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input4/event4"
[ 452.535] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD, id 9)
[ 452.535] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
[ 452.535] (**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
[ 452.535] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[ 452.536] (II) config/udev: Adding input device PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse (/dev/input/event5)
[ 452.536] (**) PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
[ 452.536] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse'
[ 452

first, for long pastes, use dpaste an likes.

second, what version of ati-drivers are you using?
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x11/drivers/ati-drivers is version 11.12. This is the same version that is working on Debian and Fedorah. It was initially at an earlier version until I sync'ed the system. It may have been updated due to my ACCEPT="~AMD64" flag in make.conf, but I am not sure of this.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meursalt wrote:
x11/drivers/ati-drivers is version 11.12. This is the same version that is working on Debian and Fedorah. It was initially at an earlier version until I sync'ed the system. It may have been updated due to my ACCEPT="~AMD64" flag in make.conf, but I am not sure of this.

never use ACCEPT, use /etc/portage/package.{unmask,keywords}.

xorg-drivers is a metapackage, it doesn't contains files.

are you using any xorg.conf?
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

As described in the original post, I have tried both without an xorg.conf, and and with the one created by" aticonfig --initial", with different results.

Is there an easy way to roll the system back from ~amd64 to amd64 by removing ACCEPT and using emerge --sync? Or would a more practical course of action be to restore from a partition backup image and start over installing X, then unmask just compiz-fusion using the method you suggest when I get to that point?

Thanks for looking at this,
-m
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meursalt wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

As described in the original post, I have tried both without an xorg.conf, and and with the one created by" aticonfig --initial", with different results.

Is there an easy way to roll the system back from ~amd64 to amd64 by removing ACCEPT and using emerge --sync? Or would a more practical course of action be to restore from a partition backup image and start over installing X, then unmask just compiz-fusion using the method you suggest when I get to that point?

Thanks for looking at this,
-m

you can, if it is a new install you might survive it.
remove it, and run emerge gcc, then emerge -e system then emerge -e world just to be safe.
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

remove it, and run emerge gcc, then emerge -e system then emerge -e world just to be safe.

You make it sound kind of iffy. I would hate to invest more time, only to run into weird linkage issues later on. With that in mind, I will just restore my backup, start from scratch on X configuration, and post my results. I now have a much clearer idea of what needs to be done, so hopefully things will go more smoothly the second time around.

Thanks again,
-m
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meursalt wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

You make it sound kind of iffy. I would hate to invest more time, only to run into weird linkage issues later on. With that in mind, I will just restore my backup, start from scratch on X configuration, and post my results. I now have a much clearer idea of what needs to be done, so hopefully things will go more smoothly the second time around.

Thanks again,
-m

going from ~ to stable usually meaning downgrading of some packages, there are some packages (such as glibc for example) that downgrading them will probably result in breaking your system.
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I rolled my system back to a backed up partition image (in order to avoid the library downgrade you mentioned), and left ACCEPT out of my /etc/make.conf. I'm still having the same issues as before: startx seems to hang for about 10-20 seconds, then the screen goes black and flashes twice before the X server appears to exit gracefully.

I first tried with the normal "stable" Xorg server (I believe this is 1.11.2-r2? I don't have the version number in front of me.) and ati-drivers 11.11. When that didn't work, I added "x11-drivers/ati-drivers ~amd64" to /etc/portage/package.keywords in order to get ati-drivers 11.12. I emerged ati-drivers, did "eselect set opengl ati," rebooted, and tried again with the same results. I then added "x11-base/xorg-server ~amd64" to get xorg-server 1.11.3, emerged xorg-server, and still got the same results.

To reiterate, this is working under Debian with ati-drivers 11.12 and xorg-server 1.11.2.902 (1.11.3 RC 2), so I know this driver is capable of working with this hardware. Here is the most recent log with ati-drivers 11.12 against xorg-server 1.11.3, along with my xorg.conf:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log:
http://pastebin.com/pP6buG0q

my xorg.conf:
http://pastebin.com/5nGNqcV5

I'd appreciate any suggestions or insight, or even just a "me too" from someone else running Gentoo on a recent AMD/ATI APU so I can get a better idea if this is a problem on my end. Thanks for looking at this,

-m
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

care to supply dmesg of the last run?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you used ACCEPT="~amd64", then it won't change anything to remove it because the correct variable is ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK daggystyle, here is dmesg and lspci output from the kernel I'm currently working under:
dmesg output:

http://pastebin.com/V6BWsp8v

lspci output:

http://pastebin.com/5hXGdT2i

@Ant P. - My apologies; I was going from memory and typing in a hurry. I was indeed using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, not ACCEPT. Since then, I restored the system from a backup, so this is no longer in place. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks
-m

Last edited by meursalt on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is helpful, but i just tried running the "Xorg" binary without going through "startx". This time, the server didn't exit on its own. It stopped with a black screen. I was able to ctl-alt-F2 to a virtual terminal and "tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log." The server was still responsive to signals, so I was able to exit with ctl-C. Here is the part of the log from immediately before the screen going black:

Code:

[   626.929] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
[   626.964] (II) fglrx(0): Restoring Recent Mode via PCS is not supported in RANDR 1.2 capable environments
[   629.109] (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
[   629.116] (II) fglrx(0): Backup framebuffer data.
[   629.119] (II) fglrx(0): Backup complete.

Maybe the problem is related to fb? I guess my next step is to start defining modes; but I feel like this shouldn't be necessary since I don't have to do it in debian.

thanks,
-m
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction: I somehow pasted the wrong URL for my dmesg output. Here is the correct one:

http://pastebin.com/V6BWsp8v

Sorry!
-m
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have either framebuffer or kms enabled in the kernel?
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
do you have either framebuffer or kms enabled in the kernel?

I am pretty sure framebuffer console is enabled. Here is the relevant kernel config section:
Code:

Console display driver support  ---> 
      [*] VGA text console                                           
      [*]   Enable Scrollback Buffer in System RAM                   
        (256)   Scrollback Buffer Size (in KB)                           
      <*> Framebuffer Console support                                   
      [*]   Map the console to the primary display device       
      [ ]   Framebuffer Console Rotation                               
      [*]   Support for the Framebuffer Console Decorations   
      [*] Select compiled-in fonts                                     
      [ ]   VGA 8x8 font                                               
      [*]   VGA 8x16 font                                               
      [ ]   Mac console 6x11 font (not supported by all drivers)
      [ ]   console 7x14 font (not supported by all drivers) 
      [ ]   Pearl (old m68k) console 8x8 font                     
      [ ]   Acorn console 8x8 font                                     
      [ ]   Mini 4x6 font                                             
      [ ] Sparc console 8x16 font                                     
      [ ] Sparc console 12x22 font (not supported by all drivers)     
      [ ] console 10x18 font (not supported by all drivers)           

The reason I say "pretty sure" is that it's hard to tell by looking at the console. The screen font looks about the same as it would on a VGA console. There may be some antialiasing, but this is a new machine, so I'm not familiar enough with it to be certain. Oddly, I have the 224 color bootup logo enabled, but the logo does not display. But the above kernel config should be correct for framebuffer console, shouldn't it? Is this something I need to look into further? I had hoped to get X working before learning all the ins and outs of fb modesetting, but if you think this sounds like a problem, I will refocus my efforts in this area.

The framebuffer drivers under "Support for framebuffer devices" are all disabled. I do have "Enable video mode handling helpers" enabled under this section, but this should be pretty innocuous, shouldn't it? It's not an actual driver, as far as I know. I have tried to troubleshoot my issue with this option enabled and disabled, and the results are the same either way.

As far as kernel modesetting goes, I have the whole "Direct Rendering Manager" section disabled. If I enable it, even without selecting any drivers under it, the ati-drivers ebuild complains that fglrx will not work with DRM compiled into the kernel:
Code:
 * You have DRM support built in to the kernel
 * Direct rendering will not work.

I could enable modesetting under the radeon driver, but this would trigger the above message from "emerge ati-drivers". Besides, I know the open source radeon driver doesn't support my display adapter, so I was trying to leave it out completely. Am I wrong to do so? Should I try compiling in the radeon driver with KMS support, despite the warning from "emerge ati-drivers?" I have been hesitant to do so, because a lot of distributions that use framebuffer console out of the box boot to a black screen on this laptop. I suspect KMS with the open source radeon driver is the culprit.

Do I need to enable both KMS and framebuffer console, or do I just need one or the other?

Thanks,
-m
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel settings look fine. Try running "X -retro", it should get stuck on the old fashioned black-and-white background. If that works then it's likely the problems are all in xinitrc.
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Kernel settings look fine. Try running "X -retro", it should get stuck on the old fashioned black-and-white background. If that works then it's likely the problems are all in xinitrc.

Aha! Now we are getting somewhere. "Xorg -retro" did indeed give me a working X server. I was able to switch back to console, set DISPLAY, start twm manually, emerge xterm, and run fglrxinfo and fgl_glxgears to confirm that 3D acceleration is indeed working. In fact, I'm posting from lynx in an xterm right now. At this point, it seems I need to do some further reading on what the -retro flag does differently.

Thanks very much for your help. I think this was the directional nudge I needed. Once I have a better understanding of what I was doing wrong, I'll post back in case anyone else is having the same issues.
Thanks to both of you for your patience and assistance :).
-m
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is llano, (new), hardware to be on the safe side, you should be ok if you make sure you're using the latest drivers, and it appears that you are. Once you've emerged the latest portage xorg-server, xorg-drivers, and ati-drivers, you should be able to generate your xorg.conf with aticonfig.

The thing to remember about the ATI drivers is that you follow the open source directions if you want to use the open source driver, and you follow the fglrx instructions to use the proprietary driver. You don't mix instructions. That means for fglrx no other display driver kernel config other than agpgart, and no kernel firmware configuration/loading. The firmware loading instructions are only for the radeon open source driver.

Good Luck..
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] fglrx, AMD3510MX/Radeon HD6620, and Xorg - can't st Reply with quote

@jasn - Thanks for the info; I did not realise that fglrx doesn't require the firmware blobs. I guess it probably already has them internally, since it comes from ATI? I'll remove them next time I tweak the kernel.

@Ant P. - You have saved me a lot of time. Chalk this up to my being more familiar with XFree86 than Xorg. Prior to a month or two ago, I had literally barely touched a computer since before the Xorg/XFree86 fork. Everything else works so similarly between the two, with Xorg generally being more forgiving of sloppy configurations, that it never occurred to me that Xorg would have a "stealth mode" server with a black background and invisible mouse cursor by default. I had seen the -retro flag referenced in some FreeBSD forum posts with no clear indication of what it actually did, and since it doesn't seem to even be mentioned in the Xorg manual, I didn't want to muck about with it until you suggested it.

Turns out, I think I had everything working just fine days ago. But when I saw a black screen instead of the familiar X cursor and stippled background, I assumed the driver was malfunctioning. I have to wonder what drove the design decision to make the X server default to an all-black "stealth mode." Perhaps it was an effort to appease the eye candy kiddies who wanted a smoother transition when starting X. It's times like this I'm glad I have a decent sense of humour; otherwise I might be a bit upset.

@Daggystyle - you probably saved me big headaches further down the road by catching my make.conf error.

I think I'm ready to start building a pretty desktop. Thanks again everyone. I'd like to mark this [SOLVED]. Is there a special flag for this in the forum software, or can I edit the subject line?

Thanks,
-m
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the ati closed driver for some time now because it gives me no gain over the open one but do note that what I do remember is that screen framebuffer and the driver don't get along, you need to disable the fb.
meursalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
I haven't used the ati closed driver for some time now because it gives me no gain over the open one but do note that what I do remember is that screen framebuffer and the driver don't get along, you need to disable the fb.

Yeah, I think I've seen what you are talking about. I get some flicker at the edge of the screen if I use compositing in X in Debian (which is using fb out of the box). I've seen some odd "rippling" effects in Gentoo if I switch from X to a virtual console. I'll try your suggestion whenever I get around to tweaking the kernel again; hopefully that will fix it. Thanks again; you've been quite helpful.

-m
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: