Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Possible to have bad tuner on dual tuner card?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Possible to have bad tuner on dual tuner card? Reply with quote

I've got a Hauppauge HVR-2250. (This is a dual-tuner PCI-e card.)

I've gotten it working after messing around for two hours and then realizing I didn't build mythtv with dvb support. Whoops! :lol:

Anyway, I can't get the second tuner to tune anything. The first tuner tunes ATSC just fine, with signal strengths around 90%. When I try to tune on the second tuner, the same channels have a signal of 25-30% and will not lock onto a channel. I also have a HD Homerun and the same source is 100% fine on both of its tuners.

I even removed all the cards off mythtv and tried adding only the second tuner, and it won't tune. dmesg and /var/log/messages show nothing indicating any issues.

Is it possible to have one tuner go bad on a card? Otherwise, this card is working quite well, better than I expected it to. I read all sorts of horror stories about not getting it to work, all I did was build from the git repository and got the firmware and it was recognized right away. I guess I'm lucky, sort of. ;)

Has anyone else had this happen? Did I misconfigure something? I've tried sending Hauppauge an email but I doubt I'll hear back until the new year.

I've removed the second tuner from mythtv for now, just using Tuner 0.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the center tuning frequencies on the card (500kHz in each direction) and Tuner 1 doesn't lock on to anything. Tuner 0 is fine.

I think my card is half-DOA. Sigh...
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2250. I've read lots of reviews and it seems Hauppauge de facto does not support their products. Send it back where it came from as fast as you can. Hopefully the reseller has some sort of warranty on it.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
I have a 2250. I've read lots of reviews and it seems Hauppauge de facto does not support their products. Send it back where it came from as fast as you can. Hopefully the reseller has some sort of warranty on it.

Really? I've done some searching and found information to suggest the opposite... weird. This card is only a couple days old, so I'll talk to the store tomorrow.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a shot in the dark here. I have an older PVR-500 with dual analog tuners. I've been doing some encoding of VHS tapes using the composite inputs of the card. In order to switch to the composite input, I use a command line utility called v4l2-ctl:
Code:
v4l2-ctl --set-input 2

This sets it to the composite input. The tuner input is 0. v4l-utils is what you want to emerge. Not sure if it works with the 2250, but you might try it and see if you can set the sketchy tuner's input from a terminal.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it's not an input problem.

I was using dvbscan which tunes ATSC frequencies on the card, and it was failing. Tuner 0 was normal and Tuner 1 was not. Pretty sure the card is half-DOA.

Edit: I just got a hold of Hauppauge and told them what I'd done to test/get it working. They agreed that the tuner is bad. The guy said to first try exchanging it at the store, and if they won't take it back to call them and they'll do a direct RMA on the card (2 year warranty.)

Back to the store I go...
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get it sorted in store. I've read several stories how Hauppauge promises you everything and does nothing, just see newegg and amazon reviews. Also it seems sometimes they tell people their warranty does not cover items not bought directly from them.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacement card works fine, I just got it today.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: