Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is there a way to install both GNOME and KDE?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Is there a way to install both GNOME and KDE? Reply with quote

Hi, ALL,
Is there a way to install both GNOME and KDE and run either one by somehow selecting the option after "startx"?

Thank you.
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You either need a little scripting (startx/xinit is pretty static) or you can just install a desktop manager (kde provides kdm, gnome gdm, or somthing entirely different). The latter solution implies that you are running X most/all the time.

as often, may a ton of other solutions:
Why don't you tell us, how you normally work - or is startx *the way*?

just my .02$
V.
mahdi1234
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no problem to have KDE and Gnome or whatever else you want alongside.

I'm not sure what you mean after startx - afaik you can use two different approaches, either run some graphical login manager as kdm/gdm/slim or use startx directly and change appropriate configs, in my case I change manually .xinitrc to whatever I want to run, but surely you can create script to run either kde or gnome. My .xinitrc looks like this
Code:
cat ~/.xinitrc
setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll us,ru,cz
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startlxde
#exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch razor-session
#exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startkde

If I want KDE instead of LXDE, just comment/uncomment appropriate lines. You can also run different WM/DE at the same time using different screens just type
Code:
startx -- :1

Then CTRL+ALT+F7 switches to the first WM/DE and CTRL+ALT+F8 to the other one. Hope this helps somehow.

cheers
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to install both GNOME and KDE? Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

Is there a way to install both GNOME and KDE and run either one by somehow selecting the option after "startx"?

You can use CDM which is a minimalistic, yet full-featured replacement for login-manager written in bash. I had created an ebuild at b.g.o, long before. Unfortunately, it seems it is not maintained lately. Homepage is down. But the sources are in github. I don't know if it still works, but you may try. If you want, I can post an updated an ebuild.
Usage is simple; you login with startx and then cdm welcomes you with a console, letting you to select a DE from the list.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply guys.
I am booting up to the console and then startx to GNOME. I want to run KDE to test some stuff. The problem is that I am not very familiar with bash scripting.
Also, the problem comes from the point that GNOME and KDE uses 2 different sets of USE-flags. So how do I install both at the same machine? The reason being I am not interested in the login manager, I need full blown GNOME or KDE.
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use desktop profile, not gnome and kde ones. Then I set the specific flags for kde and gnome in my make.conf:
Code:

USE="apache2 bluetooth -branding dri eds evo fam ffmpeg flac glitz gnome gstreamer -hal jack java kde ladspa lash lm_sensors midi mysql mysqli mng ncurses nls nvidia -qt3 readline sqlite3 ssl theora xcomposite xinerama xorg xvid xvmc zlib"

And some useflags in the package.use. For DE specific uselags, take a look at the files:
Code:

/usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/gnome/make.defaults
/usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/kde/make.defaults

Also I use kdm (or gdm), just to avoid troubles. All other login managers I tried gives headache at some point.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: