Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
http://gentoo-{wiki,portage}.com doesnt work for me?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a3li wrote:
Yes, I'm sure. Yes, I mean gentoo-portage.com. No, it's not the browser cache.

Works for me also :wink:
dcljr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
a3li wrote:
Yes, I'm sure. Yes, I mean gentoo-portage.com.

Works for me also :wink:

Well, of course, today I try it and it works. :? First time in months
dcljr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's down again…
Code:
Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable
Guru Meditation:

XID: 781937797
Varnish

OK, obviously it's just incredibly unreliable.
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: gentoo-wiki.com down? Reply with quote

It seems that http://en.gentoo-wiki.com is down for quite a while now.

Does anyone know what happened?

:?:

Edit: Found an old mirror, still working at:
Code:
http://gentoo-en<dot>vfose<dot>ru/wiki/Main_Page

Please, don't click all at the same moment, to prevent smoke! :wink:

Last edited by lost+found on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's old and no more maintained, thus prone to errors.

Please go and abuse the official wiki, which is really interesting!

http://wiki.gentoo.org
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged previous two posts.
teika
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: YYYY-MM-DD, period. Have you ever used the Internet?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Unofficial wiki and gentoo-portage.com rest in peace Reply with quote

Just to record history: You may already know it, but the unofficial gentoo wiki and gentoo-portage.com finally seem to rest in peace now.

Most of the contents of the unofficial gentoo wiki can be accessed in the Wayback: http://wayback.archive.org/web/20130301233539/http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Main_Page. AFAIK the site was alive until mid April 2013.

gentoo-portage.com is dead. Use instead http://znurt.org or http://gpo.zugaina.org/. The last Wayback crawl was done in this February.

From when did they exist?
Judging from the Wikipedia Gentoo Linux page, they already seemed to have existed in Mar 2004. However, the wiki's URL was wiki.gentoo-portage.com. The url of Aug 2004 was gentoo-wiki.com.

Wiki crash
The unofficial wiki once lost its database in Oct 2008. IIRC it's not a server's fault, but the ISP went bankrupt and the door of the building where the server lay was physically locked. The site http://www.gentoo-wiki.info hosted the contents just before the crash was built then. (Funny. It's still alive.)

Thanks for all who contributed to them. Regards.
galiven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Sad day Reply with quote

This is a sad thing. gentoo-portage.com had the best UI of all the online package databases. I even donated to Mike Valstar (I think that was his name) when he needed help covering the hosting costs years and years ago.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad day Reply with quote

galiven wrote:
This is a sad thing. gentoo-portage.com had the best UI of all the online package databases.

I agree with you about that user interface. Not only that, but we've lost a lot by losing gentoo-wiki.com. One example I had recently was trying to figure out how to install X on hardware that does not support KMS (funny how you forget how to do things like that). There used to be a nice section on this topic in docs.gentoo.org, but this got edited away and unfortunately wiki.gentoo.org didn't cover this either. KMS is great on Intel hardware, but if you have to run your stuff on something else, having a resource like the gentoo-wiki page was a great thing. I'm grateful for the Wayback Machine.
a3li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad day Reply with quote

miket wrote:
galiven wrote:
This is a sad thing. gentoo-portage.com had the best UI of all the online package databases.

I agree with you about that user interface. Not only that, but we've lost a lot by losing gentoo-wiki.com. One example I had recently was trying to figure out how to install X on hardware that does not support KMS (funny how you forget how to do things like that). There used to be a nice section on this topic in docs.gentoo.org, but this got edited away and unfortunately wiki.gentoo.org didn't cover this either. KMS is great on Intel hardware, but if you have to run your stuff on something else, having a resource like the gentoo-wiki page was a great thing. I'm grateful for the Wayback Machine.

Here's the thing: Make wiki.gentoo.org cover it. That way we haven't lost at least that bit of useful information.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sad day Reply with quote

a3li wrote:
Here's the thing: Make wiki.gentoo.org cover it. That way we haven't lost at least that bit of useful information.
That would be wonderful. The hangup is a conflict in licenses. Gentoo-wiki has a non-commercial restriction; wiki.gentoo.org does not. To copy over even one article would require getting clearance from every single contributor to the article. People can certainly rewrite articles to go into wiki.gentoo.org based on ideas in the gentoo-wiki, or people could mirror the whole gentoo-wiki site on their own, but out-and-out merging of content would expose the Gentoo Foundation to liability for license violations.

I suppose that Gentoo could host such a mirror of the content of gentoo-wiki with the careful disclaimer that that content has a different license. Even if that mirror were set to be non-editable, it might still go against the desire to have the Gentoo wiki as a living source of articles under the CC BY-SA license. All official Gentoo documentation falls under that license.
a3li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad day Reply with quote

miket wrote:
a3li wrote:
That would be wonderful. The hangup is a conflict in licenses. Gentoo-wiki has a non-commercial restriction; wiki.gentoo.org does not. To copy over even one article would require getting clearance from every single contributor to the article. People can certainly rewrite articles to go into wiki.gentoo.org based on ideas in the gentoo-wiki, or people could mirror the whole gentoo-wiki site on their own, but out-and-out merging of content would expose the Gentoo Foundation to liability for license violations.

I never explicitly told anyone to copy articles, I put pretty explicit warnings not to do so on the wiki. What I suggest is writing something on the topic based on your own experience. That way, if things have changed you update instructions in one go.
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad day Reply with quote

galiven wrote:

It also had the best RSS feeds. If you subscribed to gentoo-portage.com's "stable amd64" RSS feed you saw a package in there once, when it was stabled for amd64, and that was it.

With the "stable amd64" RSS feed from packages.gentoo.org you see the package when it's stabled for amd64, but when it's stabled for x86 later on it pops up again, and again when it's stabled for other arches...
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sad day Reply with quote

a3li wrote:
I never explicitly told anyone to copy articles, I put pretty explicit warnings not to do so on the wiki. What I suggest is writing something on the topic based on your own experience. That way, if things have changed you update instructions in one go.

Oh my, I apologize for the misunderstanding. When you wrote "make wiki.gentoo.org cover it", I took that you could mean this in two senses: write new articles or simply copy over ones from the old wiki. If I had understood that you did not intend the second meaning at all, I would not have written that response--especially to go into such detail about licenses to someone who is already very aware of the issues!

Now that I have learned that you are quite involved with the wiki, I offer you my thanks.

Apropos a comment I made earlier in this thread, I suppose I could write something up about how to set up a framebuffer device for VIA hardware. I seem to have figured it out. There are aspects of that which have changed since the article about it in the Valstar wiki.
salahx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did rescue one article from there, that was thankfully still in cache and transferred to the Gentoo wiki: IPsec L2TP VPN server. (Since I'm the person who wrote the original article there and its principal author I can relicense my own contributions).

There are few guides on this subject - almost all the Linux VPN server/Windows client guides are for PPTP, rather than IPSec/L2TP (IPsec server configuration is not trivial, but the Windows client side is even worse).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: