PaX usage on a non-hardened system?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-LINC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: PaX usage on a non-hardened system? Reply with quote

I was reading a little bit about PaX and it seemed like a sensible thing to do for security reasons. Does my Gentoo system already use PaX in some way? I see pax-utils is already installed on my system (though not in my world file) and I seem to remember some messages about PaX marking binaries near the end of merges that I have done.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaX has not been accepted into the mainline kernel by upstream, nor are their plans to do so AFAIK
so it will always require separate patching, and thusly hardened-sources on gentoo. It is not a small patch either

people can and do run hardened-* on the desktop, but there are special considerations
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portage uses pax-utils to modify binaries, that the run on a hardened (PaX enabled) system.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run "hardened" with grsecurity + pax on my desktop and was very happy for a long while. Then something about Grsecurity + Pax changed and I no longer do. The deal breaker for me was this: Even with Grsecurity and Pax totally disabled in kernel's patched with them, the kernel compiled broke my vmware-server which I then used. (I now use vmware-player, but would expect the same results.) It turned out, the grsecurity people told me, that their patches change the kernel even if one disables all of the features. (see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5154743-highlight-.html#5154743 for more details.) Prior to that I could use vmware with Pax and grsecurity merely by setting
Code:
 CONFIG_PAX_KERNEXEC=n
After this I could not. Too bad. I really liked grsecurity+pax, but I did have to be able to use my Desktop with vmware.

Note: I still I still use "-fstack-protector" in my CFLAGS and enable the corresponding part in the kernel. I assume that this gives some protection.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that PaX hardening breaks some of the proprietary modules.

OP: given the ease with which one can switch between hardened and regular kernels of the same base revision, I encourage you to try hardened, especially if your kernel is not tainted. At worst, the machine will panic and require a switch back to a non-hardened kernel.
D-LINC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question regarding grsecurity: grsecurity only tightens restrictions on a system, correct? It never increases access to any resource beyond what is allowed by normal Linux permissions, correct? For example, even if I were to completely screw up my grsecurity policy configuration, there is no way the system would be any less secure than it was before I started using grsecurity, right? Just want to be crystal clear on that point.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-LINC wrote:
Quick question regarding grsecurity: grsecurity only tightens restrictions on a system, correct? It never increases access to any resource beyond what is allowed by normal Linux permissions, correct? For example, even if I were to completely screw up my grsecurity policy configuration, there is no way the system would be any less secure than it was before I started using grsecurity, right? Just want to be crystal clear on that point.

I can't envision a way you could configure RBAC under grsec that you'd nullify filesystem permissions to the extent that something that should be blocked becomes allowed.

Having said all that, there's nothing that says you have to set up RBAC under grsec. I have a number of systems where I don't. On an uber important server, sure, but not so critical on a desktop/laptop
D-LINC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
D-LINC wrote:

I can't envision a way you could configure RBAC under grsec that you'd nullify filesystem permissions to the extent that something that should be blocked becomes allowed.

Having said all that, there's nothing that says you have to set up RBAC under grsec. I have a number of systems where I don't. On an uber important server, sure, but not so critical on a desktop/laptop

I was actually thinking of giving RBAC a try (for my Web server). So, your saying that it is possible somehow to "nullify" filesystem permissions? What do you mean by that?
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-LINC wrote:
So, your saying that it is possible somehow to "nullify" filesystem permissions?

i was saying the opposite actually; you can restrict above and beyond, but i dont think youll make things *more* permissive than your filesystem permissions with RBAC
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OP: given the ease with which one can switch between hardened and regular kernels of the same base revision, I encourage you to try hardened, especially if your kernel is not tainted. At worst, the machine will panic and require a switch back to a non-hardened kernel.

I largely agree. However a certain amount of caution is occasionally required:
The hardened kernel crashed my vmware virtual machine in such a destructive fashion that
it would not boot again, even with the gentoo-sources kernel. However I keep frequent backups
(i.e. copies of my virtual machine) so it was the easiest thing to replace the damaged machine with the copy.

More generally, as I like to "experiment" ("play?") with my gentoo installation, I keep frequent backups of it as well. I strongly recommend this practice.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap wrote:
I largely agree. However a certain amount of caution is occasionally required:
The hardened kernel crashed my vmware virtual machine in such a destructive fashion that
it would not boot again, even with the gentoo-sources kernel.
Could you elaborate on the nature of the failure to boot? Specifically, was the vmdk intact and the guest filesystem trashed or was the vmdk itself broken? If the former, you would be able to boot a guest from a LiveCD, but likely not be able to access some or all of the guest filesystems. If the latter, VMware would likely refuse to open that guest at all.
D-LINC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you guys help me with a little troubleshooting? I installed a hardened kernel, as well as the paxctl and pax-util packages. (Haven't installed gradm yet.) After reboot, my Web server won't start (lighttpd). This seems to be the issue:

Code:
aquinas ~ # grep FATAL /var/log/messages
Dec 21 21:21:17 aquinas modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting ipv6 (/lib/modules/3.0.4-hardened-r5/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko): Cannot allocate memory
Dec 21 21:21:22 aquinas modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting ipv6 (/lib/modules/3.0.4-hardened-r5/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko): Cannot allocate memory
Dec 21 21:21:22 aquinas modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting ipv6 (/lib/modules/3.0.4-hardened-r5/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko): Cannot allocate memory
Dec 21 21:21:23 aquinas modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting ipv6 (/lib/modules/3.0.4-hardened-r5/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko): Cannot allocate memory
Dec 21 21:21:23 aquinas modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting ipv6 (/lib/modules/3.0.4-hardened-r5/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko): Cannot allocate memory
Dec 21 23:59:58 aquinas modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting ipv6 (/lib/modules/3.0.4-hardened-r5/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko): Cannot allocate memory
aquinas ~ # grep vmap /var/log/messages
Dec 21 21:21:17 aquinas kernel: vmap allocation for size 249856 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
Dec 21 21:21:17 aquinas kernel: vmap allocation for size 225280 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
Dec 21 21:21:17 aquinas kernel: vmap allocation for size 225280 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
Dec 21 21:21:17 aquinas kernel: vmap allocation for size 233472 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
Dec 21 21:21:22 aquinas kernel: vmap allocation for size 233472 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
Dec 21 21:21:22 aquinas kernel: vmap allocation for size 233472 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
Dec 21 21:21:23 aquinas kernel: vmap allocation for size 233472 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
Dec 21 21:21:23 aquinas kernel: vmap allocation for size 233472 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
Dec 21 23:59:58 aquinas kernel: vmap allocation for size 233472 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
aquinas ~ # dmesg | grep failed
 pci0000:00: ACPI _OSC request failed (AE_NOT_FOUND), returned control mask: 0x1d
kretprobe: lookup failed: __switch_to
scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)
vmap allocation for size 249856 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
vmap allocation for size 225280 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
vmap allocation for size 225280 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
vmap allocation for size 233472 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.

Could someone explain this issue to me? (Err, what is vmalloc for again...?)

Here's some sys info:

Code:
# emerge --info
Portage 2.1.10.11 (default/linux/x86/10.0, gcc-4.5.3, glibc-2.13-r4, 3.0.4-hardened-r5 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.0.4-hardened-r5-i686-Intel-R-_Atom-TM-_CPU_N270_@_1.60GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.3
Timestamp of tree: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 23:30:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:          4.1_p9
dev-lang/python:          2.6.6-r2, 2.7.2-r3, 3.1.4-r3
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.4-r1
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.26
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.0.3
sys-apps/openrc:          0.9.4
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.5
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.68
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils:       2.21.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc:            4.5.3-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.4.1-r1
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4-r1
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 2.6.39 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.13-r4
Repositories: gentoo gentoo-haskell
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS=""
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/lib/layman/haskell"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="acl berkdb bindist bzip2 caps cli cracklib crypt cups cxx dri emacs fortran gdbm gnutls gpm iconv ipv6 modules mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly openmp pam pcre pppd readline session ssl sysfs tcpd unicode x86 xorg zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga neomagic nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware dummy v4l" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        1014828 kB
MemFree:          625684 kB
Buffers:             656 kB
Cached:            69128 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:            56284 kB
Inactive:          45336 kB
Active(anon):      31888 kB
Inactive(anon):      504 kB
Active(file):      24396 kB
Inactive(file):    44832 kB
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB
HighTotal:        125768 kB
HighFree:          20348 kB
LowTotal:         889060 kB
LowFree:          605336 kB
SwapTotal:             0 kB
SwapFree:              0 kB
Dirty:                 0 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:         31920 kB
Mapped:             9884 kB
Shmem:               556 kB
Slab:             143736 kB
SReclaimable:     125332 kB
SUnreclaim:        18404 kB
KernelStack:         632 kB
PageTables:          652 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:      507412 kB
Committed_AS:     150332 kB
VmallocTotal:     122880 kB
VmallocUsed:        9004 kB
VmallocChunk:      95740 kB
HugePages_Total:       0
HugePages_Free:        0
HugePages_Rsvd:        0
HugePages_Surp:        0
Hugepagesize:       2048 kB
DirectMap4k:       14328 kB
DirectMap2M:      899072 kB
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally the protocol is to, after you opt to throw a hardened kernel into the mix, switch a hardened profile, re-merge the toolchain, then merge emerge world

the resultant binaries should *still* operate fine under a normal kernel, but IIRC this is needed for them to behave correctly under a hardened kernel
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can confirm, that running a hardened system on a normal kernel works fine.
I never tried the other way around (normal system on hardened kernel).

V.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
normally the protocol is to, after you opt to throw a hardened kernel into the mix, switch a hardened profile, re-merge the toolchain, then merge emerge world

No, this is not necessary: Using "normal" binaries with a hardened kernel is fine. The binaries will just lack the special protection by PAX because they are not compiled with -fPIC.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you elaborate on the nature of the failure to boot? Specifically, was the vmdk intact and the guest filesystem trashed or was the vmdk itself broken? If the former, you would be able to boot a guest from a LiveCD, but likely not be able to access some or all of the guest filesystems. If the latter, VMware would likely refuse to open that guest at all.

It's hard to remember as all of that happened in 2008. My original posting in this regard is https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5154743-highlight-.html#5154743 .

PS I just retested with the hardened-sources-2.6.39-r8 that was configured just like my current working gentoo-sources-2.6.39-r? kernel using make oldnoconfig Specifically all grsecurity and Pax features were disabled.. This time starting my vmware guest crashed the host (gentoo)
to the extent that it shut off the power. However upon a reboot to the gentoo-sources kernel, the guest OS started under vmware without difficulty.

My Conclusion: While I still have the highest regard for Grsecurity and Pax, since sometime in 2008 it does appear to make
significant changes to the kernel just by being patched into the kernel, even if none of its features are enabled.
For this reason I no longer use it. I do think that anyone trying it should have a complete backup of everything, including their host OS before trying it. If I were running a server rather than a home desktop I would, of course, use both Pax and Grsecurity with the RBAC. I really liked them when I was able to use them and wish that I still could.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are using vmware under hardened
its very design implies interacting with kernel data structures in a way that PaX/grsec were intended to prevent

vmware should not be your benchmark for how well anything else is going to work under hardened
nor should, for example, the binary nvidia drivers

i make heavy use of virtual machines too; vmware-server went to absolute crap with 2.x, so between that, and issues under hardened, i myself opted for KVM over vmware-server.

Either way, there seems to be the implication of, "well, vmware didnt work well under hardened, therefore most things dont work under hardened" - which is not true. Throwing external binary drivers into a hardened kernel is not a good idea in general, and i would fully expect these unique, one-off exceptional cases, to be less than straightforward.

Your issues have absolutely zero, nothing, nada, nil, to do with the stability of hardened. They have everything to do with vmware. There is no need to be more cautious with backups on hardened than you would with any other system (though, you should still as a practice do backups on 'any other system'). There is no legitimate reason to think that hardened is going to kill your dog or kick your babies or anything of the sort.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that a careful reading of this topic would show that cach0rr0 has understood neither the content nor intent of my posts. I have written to him privately in this regard. I hope that this will be the end of public discussion on
what he calls my
Quote:
absolutely zero, nothing, nada, nil
issues.

But I would like to ask: Is cach0rr0 the moderator of this forum?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit OT, but since some hardened-specialists seem to be reading:

Has anybody managed to compile clisp and fricas (with clisp) under a hardened kernel with x86? Strange thing is that there is no obvious problem running the compiled binary and also no problem under amd64. However, under x86 it seems that some writable buffer should be executed which the kernel is blocking (therefore killing the compiling clisp process).

I guess if the binary is correspondingly marked with paxctl, it should work.
However, this marking should probably be done in the ebuild which contains no such thing.

Also marking /usr/bin/clisp, allowing everything, does not help compiling fricas which I do not understand at all.
D-LINC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be selfish, but could we focus on the vmalloc problem I'm having? :) Nothing about any vmalloc settings was mentioned in Gentoo's grsec documentation.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-LINC wrote:
Not to be selfish, but could we focus on the vmalloc problem I'm having? :) Nothing about any vmalloc settings was mentioned in Gentoo's grsec documentation.
It looks like you have a problem when the kernel decides to modprobe ipv6. Presumably, your web server requested an IPv6 socket, which caused this. The simplest approach would be to make ipv6 built-in if you want it or to disable it entirely if you do not want it. Making it a module that gets loaded every time you boot is suboptimal.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank cach0rr0 for the very helpful private discussions that we have had concerning my previous posts on this topic. He has made it clear to me that my posts do not reflect my real opinions and intent regarding the Hardened Gentoo project. For this I do sincerely apologize. Let me try to rectify this situation belatedly:

(1) In my opinion, the Gentoo-hardened project is one of the best things about Gentoo and certainly ( in my opinion) the best implementation of Pax, Grsecurity and security in general of which I am aware. Moreover Pax and Grsecurity are the only things of which I am aware that truly provide what I would consider to be good security. My use of them extends over many years. In fact I still run hardened on my laptop, but not on the other three Gentoo machines which I maintain.

(2) Ideally I believe that everyone should run at least PaX (and actually RBAC, which is easy to configure, too).

(3) I have never had a serious problem with PaX on a machine that was only running the hardened-sources kernel
with no kernel modules from outside of it, such as the nvidia or vmware modules. In fact at times I have even used it with the nvidia module without major incidents, but I do not recommend doing so. If one is not using outside modules,
my personal recommendation is to use at least PaX and better yet RBAC on any Gentoo system, Desktop, Workstation server or otherwise. Rest assured that because you are using Gentoo, you can choose the Gentoo hardened profile which with PaX etc, will give you an excellence of protection and an ease of implementing it that I am not aware of elsewhere, along with the wonderful Gentoo environment and collection of software in portage.

(4) However my experience has led me to see that if you are using proprietary modules + PaX then there is a possibility of doing serious damage. Such damage is completely avoidable and the intent of my posts was to make it clear how to avoid it. I am very sorry if my posts gave a different impression and give special thanks to cach0rr0 for helping me to see that they might have.

(5) I endorse Hu's excellent advice
Quote:
I wish to apologize to Hu for putting my previous comment on it as a disagreement. I actually agree with Hu's advice, but just wanted to add the caveat that I advise doing backups before doing any such experimentation. While officially I advise against such experimentation, I find it to be lots of fun.

Finally, I hope that D-LINC does try PaX. Others, including even myself, would be delighted to help you out if you have any further questions. I am sorry for the failings in my previous attempts to be helpful, and hope that I have "struck it right" this time.
D-LINC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
D-LINC wrote:
It looks like you have a problem when the kernel decides to modprobe ipv6. Presumably, your web server requested an IPv6 socket, which caused this. The simplest approach would be to make ipv6 built-in if you want it or to disable it entirely if you do not want it. Making it a module that gets loaded every time you boot is suboptimal.

Are there any ideas as to why an IPv6 module would not work under a hardened kernel? I guess I could just disable the module, but I'm still left curious as to what the problem is. Does anyone else have the IPv6 module built from a hardened kernel? Maybe you could load the module on your PC and see if it also crashes?
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the messages, I think the problem is that it cannot load a module, not that the module is ipv6.ko. You have some problem such that modprobe just does not work at that stage. It would be good to understand why it does not work, but since it seems that you will have IPv6 permanently loaded if you enable it at all, I suggested including it in the core kernel as a workaround. You can also delete the module and set CONFIG_IPV6=n if you have no use for IPv6.

If you are asking whether I can use IPv6 on my machine, then yes, but I build with it set to =y, not =m as you have done, so the test is not a fair comparison.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: