Unmask ruby-1.9.3, please!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svoop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Unmask ruby-1.9.3, please! Reply with quote

Hi Devs

Ruby 1.8.7_p352 is currently the only stable and up to date Ruby ebuild, yet upstream will stop updates next July.
Ruby 1.9.3_rc1 on the other hand is still hard masked and not up to date, the final 1.9.3_p0 has been released upstream on Oct 31.

Given the limited time Ruby 1.8.7 has left upstream, now is the time to encourage people to upgrade. (And with "people" I mean server admins running Ruby/Rails webapps rather than the average workstation user who can evade the problems with RVM.) Unfortunately, since both the Ruby 1.9 ebuilds as well as the ruby19 target are still masked, emerging Ruby 1.9 is everything but a straightforward task. And you end up with an outdated version.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258239

According to the above tracker, only two open bugs block the unmasking of Ruby 1.9: Alexandria (an ebook management app for GNOME) and gorg (an XSLT processor). While these two ebuilds are certainly in use by some people, they shouldn't block the upgrade path for Ruby anymore. Why not nailing these two ebuilds to <ruby-1.9 for the time being?

It's been a long wait and - I'm sure - a lot of hard work which is very much appreciated by me and many others. But please, don't wait until every last bit is 100% perfect before you unmask Ruby 1.9. It's time to move on!

Please up the ebuild to ruby-1.9.3_p0 (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=391183) and unmask ruby19.

Thank you very much!
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have an urgent need. Maybe one productive course of action would be to pitch in and help out with the blockers.
svoop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Sounds like you have an urgent need. Maybe one productive course of action would be to pitch in and help out with the blockers.

Please, don't give me the standard line here. I do try to help, revived the Ruby overlay back in the 1.9.2 days and maintain a few ebuilds in Sunrise. But the blockers are out of my league.

My point is a different one: Is it really a good idea to halt the entire upgrade path such a short while before Ruby 1.8.7 is officially trown onto the digital junkyard due to these two blockers? IMHO no, what do you think?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, but I'm not sure I agree.

On the one hand, everybody knows that if it works for them, they can unmask it.

On the other hand, maybe keywording it for testing would encourage the resolution of the remaining blockers.

From a quality standpoint, it may be a bad practice to keywork packages for testing which are known to cause regressions. I suppose it boils down to policy, and I suspect the devs here are following policy.
daid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unmask ruby-1.9.3, please! Reply with quote

svoop wrote:

According to the above tracker, only two open bugs block the unmasking of Ruby 1.9: Alexandria (an ebook management app for GNOME) and gorg (an XSLT processor). While these two ebuilds are certainly in use by some people, they shouldn't block the upgrade path for Ruby anymore. Why not nailing these two ebuilds to <ruby-1.9 for the time being?

I very much agree with the feeling of the post (I'm sure everyone does!), but I don't think it's even as simple as the pure existing bugs.

For instance, today I wanted to play with SciRuby, which wants ruby19. Trying to install the gsl gem gets me a large pile of errors. I thought to install the ruby-gsl wrapper, but it only has ruby18 compat. I made a local overlay to insist to use ruby19, and I many errors involving the len and ptr members of RArray. Checking the source code, I can see about 200 instances (just guessing the number) like RARRAY(blah)->len which ought to be fixed similarly as suggested at http://writequit.org/blog/?p=247

Of course, I considered to write a patch. But I can see about 1 year ago someone hit similar problems installing the gsl gem with ruby19 (here is an error log https://gist.github.com/754414 but I didn't determine yet if that bug was ever resolved, or what the solution/workaround was). I'm inquiring about that before I make a gigantic patch file with only a hope it's the solution.

If Gentoo just unmasks ruby19 right now it's going to be FUBAR I think. The bugs we see right now are the known ones, likely under much more minimal tests or stress than it will experience upon unmasking. Writing a patch file for 200 lines of code across 20 different source files my first day of ruby is not my idea of a working system.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't use these program, unmask it.

if you do and ruby is more important, do the same.

yelling is easy, acting is easier :)
svoop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

I'm not yelling, just politely pointing out that (according to the bugtracker) only two blockers for Ruby 1.9.3 remain and Ruby 1.8.7's upstream life will soon end. I do of couse know how to unmask Ruby and the ruby19 target and have done that a long time ago.

Now, if more blockers exist which are not referenced in the bugtracker, the picture looks different. But even in this case, is it a good solution to hold back Ruby 1.9 any longer instead of just making ruby19 incompatible ebuilds dependent exclusively on ruby18 for now? Some of these ebuilds might not be used by anybody and could be kicked from the tree, others could be patched in the upcoming months.

I don't say that this is "the way to go" (tm), but if it's not, I'd love to learn why.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

svoop wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

I'm not yelling, just politely pointing out that (according to the bugtracker) only two blockers for Ruby 1.9.3 remain and Ruby 1.8.7's upstream life will soon end. I do of couse know how to unmask Ruby and the ruby19 target and have done that a long time ago.

Now, if more blockers exist which are not referenced in the bugtracker, the picture looks different. But even in this case, is it a good solution to hold back Ruby 1.9 any longer instead of just making ruby19 incompatible ebuilds dependent exclusively on ruby18 for now? Some of these ebuilds might not be used by anybody and could be kicked from the tree, others could be patched in the upcoming months.

I don't say that this is "the way to go" (tm), but if it's not, I'd love to learn why.

these decisions are dev's to make.

you can ask them in the bug.
svoop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
you can ask them in the bug.

I made a reference to this thread in the bugtracker since the bugtracker is not seen as the appropriate place for discussions.
svoop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Unmask ruby-1.9.3, please! Reply with quote

ruby-1.9.3-p0 is no longer masked, thank you, devs!!
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. I'm sure this thread made a difference.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: