dev-java/icedtea-7.2.0-r1 takes 7 hours to compile 0_o
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: dev-java/icedtea-7.2.0-r1 takes 7 hours to compile 0_o Reply with quote

What is going on with icedtea, rcently compilation times got insane :?

Code:
genlop -t icedtea
 * dev-java/icedtea

Sat Sep  3 10:20:33 2011 >>> dev-java/icedtea-6.1.10.3                                                                                                                           
       merge time: 19 minutes and 11 seconds.                                                                                                                                         

Mon Sep 19 00:55:11 2011 >>> dev-java/icedtea-6.1.10.3
       merge time: 18 minutes and 54 seconds.                                                                                                                                         

Mon Sep 19 17:24:41 2011 >>> dev-java/icedtea-6.1.10.3
       merge time: 19 minutes and 8 seconds.                                                                                                                                         

Mon Sep 19 18:05:17 2011 >>> dev-java/icedtea-6.1.10.3
       merge time: 19 minutes and 24 seconds.                                                                                                                                         

Sun Oct 23 04:40:15 2011 >>> dev-java/icedtea-6.1.10.4
       merge time: 19 minutes and 46 seconds.                                                                                                                                         

Sun Nov 13 14:00:15 2011 >>> dev-java/icedtea-7.2.0-r1
       merge time: 2 hours, 11 minutes and 53 seconds.                                                                                                                               

Sun Nov 20 04:22:22 2011 >>> dev-java/icedtea-7.2.0-r1
       merge time: 7 hours, 58 minutes and 20 seconds.

You can see that it goes from 20 mins to 7 hours!Everything else compiles as expected.
I'm compiling in RAM (6g tmpfs mounted in RAM).
Any ideas guys what is causing this, what should i check on my system ?
Thank you!

EDIT: I reconfigured my kernel recently, may be I'm missing some .config options ?
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably swapping badly.

I had a similar problem with qemu-kvm (compile time jumped from 2 to 10 minutes, with the computer being not very responsive in the meantime)
It was solved by compiling it on disk.

The compile difference isn't actually very big:
Code:
     Fri Sep 23 23:47:05 2011 >>> dev-java/icedtea-6.1.10.3
       merge time: 18 minutes and 42 seconds.

Sun Nov  6 19:52:49 2011 >>> dev-java/icedtea-7.2.0-r1
       merge time: 21 minutes and 48 seconds.

To make IcedTea compile on disk but everything else in tmpfs, you can use this trick (Example 2) using /etc/portage/env
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal wrote:

To make IcedTea compile on disk but everything else in tmpfs, you can use this trick (Example 2) using /etc/portage/env

Thank you for this tip Etal, it worked:

Code:
 Sun Nov 20 21:35:07 2011 >>> dev-java/icedtea-7.2.0-r1
       merge time: 2 hours, 2 minutes and 5 seconds.

I would be very happy if someone could give me some further advice how to get back to 20 minutes compilation time (are those two hours icedtea-7 specific? )
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
I would be very happy if someone could give me some further advice how to get back to 20 minutes compilation time (are those two hours icedtea-7 specific? )

Get more ram that icedtea7 compilation needs tempdir space. Pretty simple, really.
sam_i_am
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, 9 min here 8O

Code:
genlop -t icedtea
 * dev-java/icedtea                                                                                                           
     Sat Nov 19 12:16:24 2011 >>> dev-java/icedtea-7.2.0-r1                                               
       merge time: 9 minutes and 15 seconds.

Of course, this is a quad core i7 with oodles of memory (10 parallel jobs). But still,

BTW, got irked with Oracle changing the licence and switched to icedtea during the weekend. WebCT is my main application that uses java heavily (course management system at our University) and it seems to work just fine.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after i borked my root partition i decided to make a clean install for a change (instead of restoring from backup).
Compiling icedtea in RAM takes the same time >2 hours but memory usage does not exceed 2gb (my tmpfs is 6gb), so i decided to use icedtea-bin instead.
Thank you guys for your cooperation on this subject!
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The icedtea build allows to compile the final jdk with itself. Often this is forced on or off but sometimes it's optional.

Do you have a suggestion for such a use flag name for the cases where it is optional?
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sera wrote:
The icedtea build allows to compile the final jdk with itself. Often this is forced on or off but sometimes it's optional.

Do you have a suggestion for such a use flag name for the cases where it is optional?

'java_enable_final_build' sounds good to me, or may be a make.conf line like this:

Code:
JAVA_ENABLE_FINAL_BUILD='y'

sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most lovely suggestions so far was 'keepmewarm'. :roll:

I would expect the build time to drop to something like 30 minutes for you if the flag is disabled.

A more serious suggestion would be 'bootstrap', what it technically is. So this has the potential if reading the local use description people will put it into make.conf. Which generally is a bad idea to do globally.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sera wrote:
The most lovely suggestions so far was 'keepmewarm'. :roll:

I would expect the build time to drop to something like 30 minutes for you if the flag is disabled.

A more serious suggestion would be 'bootstrap', what it technically is. So this has the potential if reading the local use description people will put it into make.conf. Which generally is a bad idea to do globally.

May be 'jbootstrap' ?
I just don't want it to be confused with the other 'bootstrap' useflag :

Code:
bootstrap - !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!, used during original system bootstrapping [make stage2]

I'm 100% sure that someone will be tempted to use it globally .
NerdIII
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking to myself "why does this take so long?". Then I found this thread. I do the bootstrapping thing. Is that what is actually taking so long with IcedTea 7? There is certainly room to optimize the build times on their end. Or maybe JDKs these days are just too big.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: