View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: icedtea failed again to install Reply with quote

miroR wrote:
http://pastebin.com/bmtvr6Ck
I think I get this much, i.e. that it, that's line 41 in the link above:
Code:
Could not reserve enough space for code cache

So this is a matter of space.

That's due to a PaX enabled kernel and doesn't surface if you bootstrap using icedtea-bin:6.
Code:
emerge -1 icedtea-bin:6 jdk:1.6
JAVA_PKG_FORCE_VM="icedtea-bin-6" emerge icedtea

The java --version command issued there already needs the required PaX markings applied. Will look into it.
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking into it.
And I, :oops: ... I first have to deeply think about it to sufficiently understand it.
Not everyone of us is gifted so well to understand with little effort.
Thanks!
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miroR wrote:
And I, :oops: ... I first have to deeply think about it to sufficiently understand it.
Thanks!

PaX is a hardened feature. More on PaX here http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pax-quickstart.xml

Sync later today and icedtea should build using icedtea-bin, both with 6 or 7.
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: I Advice against SELinux! Reply with quote

sera wrote:
miroR wrote:
Thanks!

PaX is a hardened feature. More on PaX here http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pax-quickstart.xml

I know. I studied those pages over and over (deeply thought them over already yet another time after you blamed Pax for my mishaps!).
I studied those hardened-related pages enough to advise everybody, even cleverer than me, to never ever use NSA's SE Linux, but to first thing upon emerging the hardened sources and issueing:
Code:
make menuconfig

disable SELinux and then configure their hardened Gentoo kernel based on Brad Spender Spangler's grsecurity!
I wouldn't ever think about coming again any closer than the word itself to SELinux, as per:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6794280-highlight-.html#6794280
and especially, gentle readers. read this before this one link possibly dies for some reason:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6794280-highlight-.html#6794356
I actually mean:
http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/39565.html
sera wrote:

I'm looking forward very much to it!
Thanks again! What would us poor users do without you developers?
I have to disclaim though that it's only my gut feeling and trust in Spender's words in the article which make me believe and advise as above.
If anyone knows, but really knows better, let us hear from him on the matter.
Because I am thorougly insufficiently competent in the matter. No programming knowledge of any significance!
But hey, Google, Facebook, all those engines and social media associates of theirs, spy, that's a fact, it's no invention, it's a fact...
The Superpower, and I do respect the Nation, but the Government is not the Nation itself, is truly a little too keen on... Enough said. Gotta go!
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: icedtea 7 installed here! Reply with quote

sera wrote:

icedtea 7 installed faultlessly here!
Thanks!
UgolinoII
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
I just noticed after doing a sync portage wants to install this icedtea 7, which wants me to install no less than 72 unconditional dependencies for GUI and printing bloat that has no business being installed on a server. WTF? Is there a sane Java 7 ebuild out there, or do I have to stick with 6 forever?

egads! I noticed the very same. I was a bit sick in my mouth when I saw it. Fortunately a swift...

echo 'USE="${USE} -X -cups -alsa"' >> /etc/portage/make.conf

...kicked it right in the nuts. Globally you ask? Why yes! Who wants any of that nonsense on a server anyway :)
guido-pe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just trying to install icedtea and noticed that, even though this thread is already three years old, icedtea is still masked in portage.

Are there still any major problems with icedtea in Gentoo?

If oracle-jdk is not free and icedtea is still masked, what JVM are Gentoo users supposed to use?

I am not a java developer or java enthusiast, so I'm not really up to speed with differences between available JVMs, and my only preference is that I want to avoid non-free software if reasonably possible, and that I don't want to have to manually download the software with web browser every time I upgrade one of my machines...
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guido-pe wrote:
Are there still any major problems with icedtea in Gentoo?

The reason icedtea never got marked stable are issues like not respecting CFLAGS and the like. My next attempt will be getting icedtea-8 past the arch teams. Apart from that icedtea works perfectly fine, just I recommend to not use alternative vms like jamvm or cacao for performance and resource reasons.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: