View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: [Tips] Java 7 and bootstrapping icedtea Reply with quote

Java 7 (1.7)

After many years of waiting Java 7 was finally released a few months back and the source based icedtea made it's way into the tree by now. Java 7 is not yet stable on Gentoo but most packages should work just fine with it.

Available options

oracle-jdk-bin:1.7
This is the official binary release by Oracle and replaces sun-jdk. As the distro friendly dlj-1.1 is no longer the package is fetch-restricted.

icedtea:7
IcedTea is basically OpenJDK with extras, mostly targeted to make it build and run on more architectures than plain OpenJDK does.

Bootstrapping icedtea

To compile icedtea we first need a java compiler which is usually shipped with a jdk. Actually we need a free java compiler. This leaves a couple of possibilities from which I will only mention two as the others are as experimental as it can get.

The preferred way is to use icedtea-bin, which is a Gentoo provided binary. This option is only available for amd64 and x86 users. Currently only icedtea-bin:6 is in tree, but it can be used just fine for this purpose.
Code:
# emerge -1 icedtea-bin:6 jdk:1.6
# emerge icedtea

For all others gcj-jdk is the preferred way to get a usable java compiler. gcj-jdk is not a fully 1.5 comformant JDK but good enough to bootstrap icedtea. gcj-jdk needs gcc to be built with the the gcj use flag enabled.
Code:
# echo "sys-devel/gcc gcj" >> /etc/portage/package.use
# emerge -1 gcj-jdk jdk:1.5
# emerge icedtea

Note: There are no true dependency cycles. You might need to do the above in that order to help portage find a resolution though.

Use flag warnings

By default HotSpot is used. This is by far the most stable and best performing JVM available with icedtea. HotSpot is full of assembly and other nifty things which make it unavailable for many architectures. HotSpot is used in oracles binaries and the only sensible choice for amd64 and x86.

The other JVMs can be selected by the use of the use flags cacao (only icedtea:6 for now), jamvm or zero. The JIT compiler Shark for Zero is not yet made available through a use flag.

Don't set any of those use flags unless you exactly know why you want them, those JVMs are less stable and can be an order of magnitude slower than HotSpot.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: why not a packeage called openjdk Reply with quote

@sera, do you know why there isn't any package called openjdk?
icedtea seems to be a helper to get it. Then why not having a package openjdk debending on icedtea or gcj use flag? Whats worse: icedtea not even has a string "jdk" in its name. Hard to find a solution for newcomers ...
yellowhat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried running "emerge -1 icedtea-bin:6 jdk:1.6 " and "emerge -1a icedtea" but it stops and gives me this error

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Kdr6x4SC
duryodhana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowhat wrote:
I have tried running "emerge -1 icedtea-bin:6 jdk:1.6 " and "emerge -1a icedtea" but it stops and gives me this error

I encounter exactly the same situation here.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: why not a packeage called openjdk Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:

The package openjdk in other distros is very close to icedtea using HotSpot. icedtea was added to Gentoo before OpenJDK was even buildable / a full JDK and was partly based on gnu classpath back then.
As IcedTea supports more architectures so there is not much gain in having an additional package openjdk.

ulenrich wrote:
icedtea seems to be a helper to get it. Then why not having a package openjdk debending on icedtea or gcj use flag? Whats worse: icedtea not even has a string "jdk" in its name. Hard to find a solution for newcomers ...

icedtea is the JDK, just like openjdk would be. Both are very similar to todays binaries available from Oracle. oracle-bin wouldn't work and so it's oracle-jdk-bin.
On the other hand icedtea is a project like many others and it's common to use the name of the project as package name.

To emerge the default JDK just "emerge jdk" should be sufficient. A JDK is also installed as soon as a package needs one.

The whole bootstrapping is only needed to help portage make the right decisions.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowhat wrote:

Looks like you hit https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=389717

A workaround is described on the bug.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: [Tips] Java 7 and bootstrapping icedtea Reply with quote

sera wrote:
Available options

oracle-jdk-bin:1.7
This is the official binary release by Oracle and replaces sun-jdk. As the distro friendly dlj-1.1 is no longer the package is fetch-restricted.

icedtea:7
IcedTea is basically OpenJDK with extras, mostly targeted to make it build and run on more architectures than plain OpenJDK does.
There's also the IBM JDK (registration required, and AFAIR a different license), including Java 7, at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html. However, portage currently only contains IBM's JDK up to Java 6. Is there a reason it's not got to Java 7?
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: [Tips] Java 7 and bootstrapping icedtea Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
There's also the IBM JDK (registration required, and AFAIR a different license), including Java 7, at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html. However, portage currently only contains IBM's JDK up to Java 6. Is there a reason it's not got to Java 7?

There are no intentions to drop ibm-jdk-bin. Admittedly it is of lower priority than icedtea and oracle-jdk-bin.

A good reason to not add it right now is it's vulnerability:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/alerts/
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: why not a packeage called openjdk Reply with quote

sera wrote:
ulenrich wrote:

The package openjdk in other distros is very close to icedtea using HotSpot. icedtea was added to Gentoo before OpenJDK was even buildable / a full JDK and was partly based on gnu classpath back then.
As IcedTea supports more architectures so there is not much gain in having an additional package openjdk.

ulenrich wrote:

icedtea is the JDK, just like openjdk would be. Both are very similar to todays binaries available from Oracle. oracle-bin wouldn't work and so it's oracle-jdk-bin.
On the other hand icedtea is a project like many others and it's common to use the name of the project as package name.

To emerge the default JDK just "emerge jdk" should be sufficient. A JDK is also installed as soon as a package needs one.

The whole bootstrapping is only needed to help portage make the right decisions.

As I understand (perhaps just uninformed) , there was a shift regarding java in that all (ibm,oracle...) supporting openjdk as the open-source alternative now. When this happened icedtea and classpath also retired as a full featured fork in his own right?

In this regard icedtea would just be a toolchain to acquire openjdk. You won't name kde to gcc-kde just because you compile kde using gcc? Wouldn't it be fair enough to reflect these changes in package names?
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: why not a packeage called openjdk Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
As I understand (perhaps just uninformed) , there was a shift regarding java in that all (ibm,oracle...) supporting openjdk as the open-source alternative now. When this happened icedtea and classpath also retired as a full featured fork in his own right?

It's not wrong to think of IcedTea7 as a means of obtaining OpenJDK7. With Java 7 the differences shrunk considerably. One of the goals of IcedTea is getting their patches applied upstream to OpenJDK and only carrying the pachtes for actually building OpenJDK.

ulenrich wrote:
In this regard icedtea would just be a toolchain to acquire openjdk. You won't name kde to gcc-kde just because you compile kde using gcc? Wouldn't it be fair enough to reflect these changes in package names?

The analogy is a bit bogus but it's fair to bring up a rename now. For me a package name is also a form of crediting. Either way I do not have a strong opinion on that.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because there is no java - jdk connection to that name icedtea,
but history, which is a kind of insiderknowledge nowadays:
java - coffe - tea - icedtea

tea-openjdk ?
yellowhat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much space does icedtea require for emerging?
It occupies all my portage temp dir mounted on ram of 2.5 GB.
yellowhat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am using oracle-jdk-bin:1.7 because icedtea is too huge to compile for me
But there is only one package that requires jdk-1.6.0, please could someone update that dependence.

virtual/jdk-1.6.0 pulled in by:
dev-db/hsqldb-1.8.1.3

virtual/jdk-1.7.0 pulled in by:
dev-java/ant-core-1.8.1
dev-java/ant-nodeps-1.8.1
dev-java/ant-owanttask-1.1-r12
dev-java/antlr-2.7.7-r4
dev-java/asm-2.0-r1
dev-java/bcel-5.2-r2
dev-java/bsh-2.0_beta4-r3
dev-java/dom4j-1.6.1-r3
dev-java/gnu-regexp-1.1.4-r2
dev-java/iso-relax-20050331-r2
dev-java/jarjar-0.9
dev-java/java-getopt-1.0.13
dev-java/javacc-4.2
dev-java/javacup-0.11a_beta20060608
dev-java/jaxen-1.1.1
dev-java/jaxme-0.5.2
dev-java/jdom-1.0-r4
dev-java/jdom-jaxen-1.0-r1
dev-java/jsr173-1.0-r1
dev-java/junit-3.8.2-r1
dev-java/libreadline-java-0.8.0-r3
dev-java/log4j-1.2.16
dev-java/lucene-2.9.4
dev-java/lucene-analyzers-2.3.2
dev-java/msv-20050627-r3
dev-java/relaxng-datatype-1.0-r1
dev-java/saxon-8.4b-r3
dev-java/saxpath-1.0-r2
dev-java/servletapi-2.4-r5
dev-java/tomcat-servlet-api-4.1.36
dev-java/xalan-2.7.1
dev-java/xalan-serializer-2.7.1
dev-java/xerces-2.9.1
dev-java/xjavac-20110814
dev-java/xml-commons-external-1.3.04
dev-java/xml-commons-resolver-1.2
dev-java/xmldb-20011111-r1
dev-java/xom-1.2.6
dev-java/xpp2-2.1.10-r1
dev-java/xpp3-1.1.4c-r1
dev-java/xsdlib-20050627-r2
virtual/jre-1.7.0
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
It's because there is no java - jdk connection to that name icedtea,
but history, which is a kind of insiderknowledge nowadays:
java - coffe - tea - icedtea

tea-openjdk ?

:)

icedtea-jdk would be an other option. However, people are using icedtea for years on Gentoo and changing the name causes confusion as well. Also it requires users to set the user vm a new and fix things like build/jdk.conf.

There are others which also do not carry java/jdk in their package name like cacao and jamvm. The easiest way to get a list of available JDKs is
Code:
equery g jdk
and make your pick.

Feel free to bring the rename up on gentoo-dev ml though.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowhat wrote:

Roughly 7GB on amd64, so yes a tmpfs is not an option for most.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed after doing a sync portage wants to install this icedtea 7, which wants me to install no less than 72 unconditional dependencies for GUI and printing bloat that has no business being installed on a server. WTF? Is there a sane Java 7 ebuild out there, or do I have to stick with 6 forever?
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
I just noticed after doing a sync portage wants to install this icedtea 7, which wants me to install no less than 72 unconditional dependencies for GUI and printing bloat that has no business being installed on a server. WTF? Is there a sane Java 7 ebuild out there, or do I have to stick with 6 forever?

Both X and cups are required for building icedtea from source. You can wait for icedtea-bin:7 which only pulls this optional runtime deps via use flag resp. doesn't pull them in at all.

Alternatively you can continue to use Oracles JDK oracle-jdk-bin formerly sun-jdk, which handles the optional runtime deps like icedtea-bin does.
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Anywhere to find how to increase /var/tmp/portage space? Reply with quote

sera wrote:
yellowhat wrote:

Roughly 7GB on amd64, so yes a tmpfs is not an option for most.

Is there anywhere to find a few tips on how to increase /var/tmp/portage space (if that extra building happens there) for building this package?
If I just created:
Code:
mkdir /some_partition_where_room_enough/portage

and linked /var/tmp/portage like this:
Code:
ln -s /some_partition_where_room_enough/portage /var/tmp/portage

would that do the trick of having enough space for building icedtea?
The thing is of course prior to that creating and linking I have to delete /var/tmp/portage.
Is there a catch about it or anything else that makes this wrong to try and do?
I'm not a programmer, so I'm just wary, for too little I know in these matters.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleting the contents of /var/tmp/portage is fine (as long as portage isn't running, of course ;)
If it's not empty, you should empty it, because it just contains packages that failed to build.

Instead of symlinking, you can actually just modify the PORTAGE_TMPDIR variable in make.conf.

In fact, you can even define which packages should be built where - see example 2 here.
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Anywhere to find how to increase /var/tmp/portage space? Reply with quote

Etal wrote:

Instead of symlinking, you can actually just modify the PORTAGE_TMPDIR variable in make.conf.

Great!
Etal wrote:
In fact, you can even define which packages should be built where - see example 2 here.

That's called being very helpful! Huh, easy for you, you're a veteran, and I just got the first upwards from grassroots title, the tux's lil' helper title! :lol:
Been a noob for three odd years (and intend to be little til I die)! :wink:
Thanks!
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: preparing room for icedtea building Reply with quote

Broader read on the subject in question (God, am I late for this! I won't post my current make.conf, it's too outdated!), I found here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-541850-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-275.html and around it.
In make.conf I never yet had, and I will only now stick:
Code:
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/dev/shm"

since I got:
Code:
shm                     /dev/shm        tmpfs           nodev,nosuid,noexec     0 0

shown by the mount command as:
Code:
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

And the rest is in the wiki:
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/env
aforementioned by Etal, veteran :)
I mean, I created /etc/portage/env/no-tmpfs.conf with content:
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/some_partition_where_room_enough"
etc. etc.
I got old (6 yrs + old) technology boxes, it's slow, but worthwile though still, because I clone one of my systems rather easily and quickly to at least two more systems (same MBO based hardware)...
I really needed this. And was compiling icedtea al least four times by now... Figure how slow and long? OK, it's on RAID-5 and RAID-6 devices, but still..
Be back to report success or ask for help...
Actually, Lord! I might be short still!
Here's what I have available. Would this be enough?
    Raid Level : raid6
    Array Size : 7228800 (6.89 GiB 7.40 GB)

That's 4 + hrs waste if it's not enough! Will find somewhere else.
And actually I have more mileage. Maybe my assumptions above are wrong, some of them...
If anyone else stumbles on this issue, there's more to go here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-847293.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-541460-start-0.html
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Speeding_up_portage_with_tmpfs
Be back...
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: tmpfs and PORTAGE_TMPDIR (partly icedtea install related) Reply with quote

Since the issue of tmpfs is only somewhat related to this topic, I try not to clutter too much here, and now only give a link to my talk on tmpfs and PORTAGE_TMPDIR:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Talk:Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs
I also made myself (hopefully) just enough room for icedtea compilation with the same phisical partitions. See:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6874222.html#6874222
It's a different topic, but concerning space increase, I stopped raid6 and created raid5 instead (which is 25% increase on 5 devices, and it's not permaning or mission-critical data to be ill-advised idea to use raid5).
icedtea is being installed on my box right now.
Thanks!
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: icedtea install still fails Reply with quote

Sadly, my last attempt to install icedtea was yet again to no avail.

emerge --info =dev-java/icedtea-7.2.0-r1
http://pastebin.com/uGf6vfEP

myBox # emerge -pqv =dev-java/icedtea-7.2.0-r1
[ebuild N ] dev-java/icedtea-7.2.0-r1 USE="nsplugin webstart -debug -doc -examples -jamvm -javascript -pulseaudio -systemtap -zero"
[ebuild N ] dev-java/icedtea-web-1.1.3-r7 USE="nsplugin -build -doc"

Part of the build log
dev-java:icedtea-7.2.0-r1:20111116-165426.log
http://pastebin.com/qv34Bx6P

emerge --info
http://pastebin.com/0PazY4Rr

At a loss what might be the reason.
Room was enough. I run a script I named du_LOOP_l.sh:
http://pastebin.com/tMQecNsQ
that pops me du for, in this case I gave it '/build/portage/*/*' as third argument, in intervals of 10 s, with large number of times to repeat, the whole line was:
Code:
du_LOOP_l.sh 10000 10 '/build/portage/*/*'

Th last output was:
http://pastebin.com/KeSNRh0m
before deleting the failed install (because I stuck FEATURES="clean-logs" in make.conf)
So the room was plenty... (there is more than 9GiB space on /build )
My memory is:
Code:
myBox # free -k
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       4050408    2289848    1760560          0     165148    1027652
-/+ buffers/cache:    1097048    2953360
Swap:      2097148      31920    2065228
myBox #

So... I'll try bootstrapping icedtea with icedtea-bin (was explained somewhere I think)... I'll look up:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=389717
in greater detail.
Don't know what else. Any suggestions?
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: [Tips] Java 7 and bootstrapping icedtea Reply with quote

sera wrote:
Java 7 (1.7)
[snip]
Bootstrapping icedtea

To compile icedtea we first need a java compiler which is usually shipped with a jdk. Actually we need a free java compiler. This leaves a couple of possibilities from which I will only mention two as the others are as experimental as it can get.

The preferred way is to use icedtea-bin, which is a Gentoo provided binary. This option is only available for amd64 and x86 users. Currently only icedtea-bin:6 is in tree, but it can be used just fine for this purpose.
Code:
# emerge -1 icedtea-bin:6 jdk:1.6
# emerge icedtea

That was a about week ago.
There is icedtea-bin:7 out now. I'm trying to bootstrap-install icedtea 7, so I guessed I needed to issue:
Code:
# emerge -1 icedtea-bin:7 jdk:1.7
# emerge icedtea

I detest people who privitize the world till their last breath, were they genii like the late Steve Jobs (did you know that the truly good video codec h264, the absolute best there is, of his is so propriatary that everyone could possibly end up after 2015 having to pay either roylties or huge fines even for just showing it where there are ads on a webpage with a video that used h264 in any way -- and it's in most cameras today, and never with licence for commercial use! Hey Steve, where's your money for you now?)...
Yes I detest people who privitize the world like Larry (not taking your money with you, are you Larry?, and you too are leaving soon!) Oracle Ellison...
I wish to get rid of his (now his, never was, but now is...) his, his... oracle-jdk-whatever...
So I am torturing myself Gitmo-style with all these stress postures ever same positions in compilation process just to get rid of his stuff...
I saw and little did I understand, will never be a programmer, it's late in my life even if I wanted, but I saw and read:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/java.xml
I can't realy easily figure out why exactly it is that I ever need java, for the aforesaid reason, I do get it that I do need it but I only get it vaguely...
And so I'm asking, is there something somewhere that does not require terrible more time to invest on my part, for me to read and understand what I need to do, to get rid of this Larry privitizer and to have my Gentoo system, Gentoo which is gentle and good, my Gentoo system in good shape?
Thanks!
Current state of my stress posture in the compilation process:

My PORTAGE_TMPDIR:

Code:
2385208 /build/portage/dev-java/icedtea-7.2.0-r1

and, EDIT, I'm clarifying, trying to, just a little later, a little further in the process now. that is still my PORTAGE_TMPDIR:
Code:
/dev/md2             9487072   2611056   6394096  29% /build

I'm not leaving Gentoo. Once I do one box, I clone it on 2 (3) more systems with same MBO rather quick and easy... It does perform superbly once I am relieved of these Gitmo-style compilation postures.... And than it's really worth it like no other!

Pls., any help on icedtea? Why, how, what options?
Should I maybe just settle for icedtea-bin till this whole icedtea vs oracle and other non-open java is sorted out and sufficiently documented in Gentoo for insufficient users like me?
Thanks! And forgive my ramblings but I stand by them. That's why I use Gentoo.
miroR
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: icedtea failed again to install Reply with quote

The end of the build log, actually the output, new style, just the important output, and not all output as it used to be up untill a few months ago in the terminal or console (konsole in my case) where the emerge compilation command is issued, is:
http://pastebin.com/bmtvr6Ck
I think I get this much, i.e. that it, that's line 41 in the link above:
Code:
Could not reserve enough space for code cache

So this is a matter of space.
I figured 9G suffice, since around 7G is the space it uses for compilation, as per in previous posts by sera... But that is space on PORTAGE_TMPDIR.
This that it complains it doesn't have available is the same thing or is it something else? Some other kind of space?
Is it that icedtea 1.7 is much bigger and needs yet much more space than icedtea 1.6 ?
Probably.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: