sound problems with c-media 8738
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: sound problems with c-media 8738 Reply with quote

I have a c-media 8738 on-board sound card and I am probably going to need therapy :P

I have tried to get it working with the c-media kernel drivers, compiled as modules and built-in, also tried with alsa, and NOTHING WORKS!!!

in all these cases I get the same results: it plays sound for about 1 second then stops! in xmms, it plays a song for 1 second, then skips to the next song, and it does this until it reaches the end of the playlist...

I'M DESPERATE!!! NEEEEEED HELLLLPPPPP
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Google turned up this. Maybe that will help. (This too, but probably not as helpful.)
Robert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably is not the answer you want ;-)...

.. but I have the onboard working flawlessly with the OSS Pro drivers. Sure, you have to pay, but in my case I believe it was worth it, athough I have a Pro sound card as well which is mainly why I bought the drivers.

OSS installs in seconds and the support is unbelieveable. No matter what time I send an email to support, I have recieved personal reply within 15 minutes.

The only pre install tasks I need to use OSS Pro on Gentoo is to compile the kernel without audio support. Oh.. and edit the top level makefile in the kernel source directory before compilation. In may case I had to change "-gentoo-r7" to "-pre7". Just so that the OSS installer will recognise the kernel.

Anyway, as I mentioned its probably not what you were looking for, but thats my CMedia 8738 solution :)

[url] www.opensound.com [/url]

--
Robert Brown
bidz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually have the exact same soundchip, onboard, on a Soyo Dragon Plus! motherboard - and it has _always_ worked fine - in several different linux distros even (suse 7.3 pro, although, had to get a newer kernal than the included 2.4.10, slackware 8.0 (also with a updated kernel), and Lycoris (!)). Oh, also in 3 different Gentoo installations.. both with compiled kernel support, compiled modules support and with alsa 0.9rc1 and rc2. everything has worked fine.. so this is weird. im currently using the 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 kernel, and its working fine - also worked fine with 2.4.19-gentoo-r5, 2.4.19-gentoo-r1 and 2.4.18-xfs.

Sure you have checked your configuration properly ?.
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bidz wrote:
Oh, also in 3 different Gentoo installations.. both with compiled kernel support, compiled modules support and with alsa 0.9rc1 and rc2. everything has worked fine.. so this is weird. im currently using the 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 kernel, and its working fine - also worked fine with 2.4.19-gentoo-r5, 2.4.19-gentoo-r1 and 2.4.18-xfs.

yes it is weird! with gentoo 1.1a I had it running fine, with the kernel modules and some *magic* (had to modprobe it twice on boot-up for some reason), but I installed gentoo 1.2 on after a fresh format 2 days ago and I can't get it working!!! nothing seems to work! on 1.1a I had the 2.4.18 vanilla kernel, and on this 1.2 I had the same kernel and then I switched to the new 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 and still doesn't work!

bidz wrote:
Sure you have checked your configuration properly ?.

what do you recommend I do? I've searched all over and tried every suggestion :(
bidz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, what you could try, if you havent done it already, is compile in support (not as modules) for _all_ the C-Media chipset/etc stuff in your kernel config, and also enable OSS (but no specific soundcard). not as modules. hardcoded into the kernel.

i'm using this solution, cause i didnt like ALSA at all, so i recently switched back - works like a charm.
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have tried to get it working with the c-media kernel drivers, compiled as modules and built-in, also tried with alsa, and NOTHING WORKS!!!

when I said compiled as modules AND BUILT-IN, by built-in I meant harcoded in the kernel, still doesn't werk
bidz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it could be a hardware error ? does it work fine in any win* OS ?
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, I am dualbooting with XP, and works fine... always has
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few more symptoms: I installed quake3 yesterday and found that I hear the music perfectly... u know, the opening screen? it doesn't stop for 1 sec like the rest... yet if I use xmms, mpg123, play, etc, to try and play any music at all, it plays 1 sec then stops...

any ideas?
Genito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, ive just read the post and most of it made sense,
Ive got the onboard CM8378 with an extention bracket to add the sockets for the rear and center/sub.

Ive had 2 speaker sound working from day 1, but now ive got some 5.1 speakers i cant get 6 speaker / 5.1 working.

Ive enabled 6 speakers in the Cmedia module in the kernel ( built in not loaded as module)

Im using gnome 2 and atm i have the sound server turned off.

Any help really would be much appreciated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: