View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: How do I get into the Internet? Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:

I will update the livedvd today and post link to a beta iso which will have updates and these drivers enabled, keep in mind you might need to manually download a firmware then copy to livedvd environment to get wireless working. stay tune.

just as an aside/fyi, ath9k shouldn't require any external firmware, so he should be good to go for the wireless at least with ATH9K_PCI added

(i guess this is more useful for the person asking, than for you, but i post nonetheless!)
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get into the Internet? Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
likewhoa wrote:

I will update the livedvd today and post link to a beta iso which will have updates and these drivers enabled, keep in mind you might need to manually download a firmware then copy to livedvd environment to get wireless working. stay tune.

just as an aside/fyi, ath9k shouldn't require any external firmware, so he should be good to go for the wireless at least with ATH9K_PCI added

(i guess this is more useful for the person asking, than for you, but i post nonetheless!)

yea, i figured that would be enough but you never know these days unless you've experienced it yourself which I haven't since I don't own that piece of hardware. Thanks btw
ptrkmj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa, are you going to update any soon?
StalkerNOVA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to get wallpapers from the LiveDVD without running it? Or can someone put them to download?
mockillo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get into the Internet? Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:
ptrkmj wrote:
likewhoa wrote:
the missing driver is CONFIG_ATH9K_PCI for the wireless card.

Ouch! I was just about to try livedvd out and I have exactly the same network setup as Ariya (probably the same laptop model). There was no ATH9K_PCI option in 2.6 kernel.

So it seems we're out of luck until next release (?)

I might have missed it but I have searched for a while now, has this link been published somewhere?

I was thinking about trying Gentoo again after 7-8 years of other distros, but having a ath9k and no ethernet access right now put a small stopper for that.

Alex
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mockillo,

Welcome to Gentoo.

You don't need the LiveDVD to install Gentoo - there is no automated installer, you still need to follow the handbook.
Gentoo does support the ath9k hardware.

Either use your existing install to install Gentoo as a multiboot system or use SystemRescueCD as your starting point. It supports ath9k, allowing you to install GEntoo over wireless. Its also Gentoo based.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
mockillo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
mockillo,

Welcome to Gentoo.

You don't need the LiveDVD to install Gentoo - there is no automated installer, you still need to follow the handbook.
Gentoo does support the ath9k hardware.

Either use your existing install to install Gentoo as a multiboot system or use SystemRescueCD as your starting point. It supports ath9k, allowing you to install GEntoo over wireless. Its also Gentoo based.

Hi again. I know I have to use the handbook, and have no problem with that. However I can't use my current installation as I need to overwrite my running partitions. And Gentoo SHOULD support the ath9k hardware, but as you can see in this thread there was a problem with the driver on the current livedvd which was supposedly fixed in a beta release, but I can't find the link for said release.

I'll try SystemRescueCD and see if that works, thanks.

Alex
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: