Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

I am worried by the need that you seem to have for more recent versions of anything provided by the liveCD.
Its more worrying that there are actually newer versions to be had.

NeddySeagoon wrote:

If you have used emerge --sync, or fetched a current tarball then all bets are off

Neddy, I did not --sync so the tar and bzip2 were rebuilds. Re-emerging did show that 1 USE flag was added (i think to tar, and i think it was "+nils" or something) ...

But it is for sure that re-emerging those 2 resulted in different behaviors, i.e. namely that the quickpkg'd packages unzipped.

NeddySeagoon wrote:

You must use the /usr/portage on the DVD to drive quickpkg and its tar/bzip2 should justwork(tm)

Well, since I'm going to have to reboot and re-chroot I'll investigate the various tar/bzip2 combinations (quickpkging and unzipping) and confirm exactly what is required on my system.
It should be more organized this time through since I know what I'm testing and looking for now.

NeddySeagoon wrote:

This gets you an out of date Gentoo install of course - but thats the price of installing binaries from the liveDVD.

Yes, but I cannot afford to go through the ground-up procedure with the min-install disk right now ... I bought this laptop to do WebGL work on, but it's otherwise not very Linux friendly (Recent Sony Vaio) ... I've been using Ubuntu 10.10 since acquiring the laptop, but "what good is power without control?" (slogan from LiveDVD wallpapers). I'm a gentoo user for 10 yrs now, but I can forsee problems with this laptop going the ground-up route ... so that's why this route.

I'll post-back with findings about where tar and bzip2 were failing ... thank you for helping me!!

-Charlie
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, new day, starting over ... but still going to use files on /mnt/gentoo/* ...
Code:

Gentoo-11 gentoo # ls -l /mnt/gentoo/bin/bzip2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jun 22 06:12 /mnt/gentoo/bin/bzip2 -> /usr/bin/pbzip2

Argh! I am positive that the above bzip2 was restored (i.e. was no longer ptr to pbzip2) ... but upon rebooting it's still there according to the real disk filesystem. Maybe I only reverted that link last night from within the chroot environment ... and further maybe it was really using pbzip2, and therefore why I was finding it necessary to emerge a new bzip2 ... who cares! onward ... heck that link isn't even correct! It points across disks/filesystems. This could be the source of all problems previously.

Another thing that might have affected my install attempt last night: When I edited make.conf I then issued an env-update which did post some messages about "global updates" but it wasn't an emerge --sync. I thought it was necessary for those settings to take effect in that shell, but I just ran quickpkg again without doing the env-update and it still knew where PORTDIR was ... so NOT doing an env-upate this time through ...

As for the tar pkg, my /mnt/gentoo/bin/tar is copied from last night's re-emerge of tar, so fixing that to match the liveDVD ...

And now have chroot-ed and running
Code:
emerge -Keav --oneshot --keep-going @system
which made it past places of previous difficulty ... so looking much better!
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy, I'm still having problems ... imagine!

Code:

@/etc/make.conf
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

Code:

Gentoo-11 / # gcc-config -l
 * gcc-config: Could not get portage CHOST!
 * gcc-config: You should verify that CHOST is set in one of these places:
 * gcc-config:  - //etc/make.conf
 * gcc-config:  - active environment
Gentoo-11 / #

In the liveDVD environment CHOST is defined ... in the chroot it's not ... so, for lack of a better idea i pointed /usr/bin/gcc-4.* -> /usr/bin/gcc (or vice versa) and attempted the emerge -K @system step again ... but many things fail to emerge ... I didn't manage to make a list, but the last 2 things (of 332) were python and gcc (i guess it started over-and-over-and-over until just the problematic pkgs were only remaining to emerge ... i.e. guessing that's how 2 such major pkgs coincidentally came to be the last two in the list to fail).

I may have neglected to do an env-update in the chroot environment ... is it possible that could be my only problem? ugh ... i hope i didn't make any bone-headed mistakes like that ... Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide here!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccosse,

Check your PM. I really don't want to revert the document to support 11.0 DVDs when 11.1 is around.
If you want to persist with 11.0, I may still have a copy of its version of the HOWTO but I will need to dig for it.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neddy,

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Check your PM. I really don't want to revert the document to support 11.0 DVDs when 11.1 is around.
If you want to persist with 11.0, I may still have a copy of its version of the HOWTO but I will need to dig for it.

Thanks for continuing to help me out! I'm currently downloading an 11.1 liveDVD iso and will give it a try this evening.
And will report back with the results and (likely) more questions.

Thanks again!
Charles
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Hey Devs! Reply with quote

I just wanted to say, if it hadn't been mentioned in this thread or anywhere else -
I downloaded, burned and ran the LiveDVD amd64 #11 to completely reinstall my computer after a disk crash last week.
It was the first time in almost a decade since I'd had to do that. I've been running Gentoo all that time.

I keep explaining to people when they ask me what version of Gentoo I am running that it is always the current version and that the system is updated as things are improved and at no cost.

This is a truly foreign concept for most users because they consider the periodic upgrading from version to version as a co$tly, traumatic event that most times leaves them less well-off and feeling that generally, software quality is always diminishing and not improving as claimed.

Hardly surprising as we know that commercial operating systems are not developed for the same reason linux is; they are developed as items to be sold. Quality is secondary.

As I said, a concept foreign to me.

This brings me to the subject of the LiveDVD

I was astonished at its smoothness, preciseness, attention to detail and humble humour. It is fair to say my jaw dropped open many times as I explored the disk and its integration of programs and tools. I had no idea it had come so far.

Congratulations Devs and everyone who contributed to this, near or far!
Thank you so much for making something so incredibly neat and good!
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Devs! Reply with quote

Progman3K wrote:
I was astonished at its smoothness, preciseness, attention to detail and humble humour. It is fair to say my jaw dropped open many times as I explored the disk and its integration of programs and tools. I had no idea it had come so far.

Congratulations Devs and everyone who contributed to this, near or far!
Thank you so much for making something so incredibly neat and good!

Great feedback! Curious to ask but what did you find humorous on the LiveDVD?
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Devs! Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:
Great feedback! Curious to ask but what did you find humorous on the LiveDVD?

All the wallpapers gently mocking the compilation time! I almost wanted to just view those instead of getting on with the system reinstall!

I also had a slightly older Ubuntu LiveDVD on hand and went so far as to install it on one of the partitions. It is also nice and I'm glad it's there for non-techies but it brought home (to me) Gentoo's strength: choice. After installing it and updating it (to Unity?), I was a bit disappointed to see I was stuck with pulse-audio (which I could not get rid of easily, i.e. sound stopped working) and a desktop that looked and felt a bit weird...

I use Gnome and was surprised that the Gentoo LiveDVD chose KDE as its desktop but it was really a nice surprise because KDE has lots of great functionality, so it was a good way to find out about it.

Gentoo may require a little more effort to install and maintain, but it is always worth it.

Thanks again!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progman3K,

The liveDVD has a selection of desktops - KDE is just the default.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Progman3K if you like gnome and would like to test out gnome3 just download the Gentoo 11.1 LiveDVD from torrents.gentoo.org and once you get KDM login manager, just select the gnome desktop from the bottom left hand menu of sessions.
gn00b
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: wondering... Reply with quote

has anyone (besides NeddySeagoon) been able to successfully install gentoo from the live dvd?
my computer hangs at this point:
Code Listing 5.2: Unpacking some key tarballs
tar xpf dev-lang/python-2.7.1-r1.tbz2 -C /mnt/gentoo
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gn00b,

Has it really hung or is it just slow.

Try tar xpvf ... to see whats going on but that makes it slower still.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Google Summer of Code Project that may want some testers;
http://brodlo.net/anaconda/
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-soc/msg_830e620d76b862330d60a3b0148ebcb9.xml
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comprookie2000 wrote:

OMG is that a gentoo installer resurrection ? 8O
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
comprookie2000 wrote:

OMG is that a gentoo installer resurrection ? 8O

It sure is but this time it's not being written from scratch and they are using the anaconda installer which Sabayon Linux uses but it's going to be modified to compile from source instead of binpkgs like in Sabayon Linux.

Hopefully it does well and it's not uber fail like the previous Gentoo Linux Installer.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: The Future is Now Edition Reply with quote

Hello Fellow Gentooligans,.. It's that time again and keeping up with future software changes, we have rolled out a new hybrid iso with a ton of new software updates.

• System packages include: Linux kernel 3.0 (with Gentoo patches), Accessibility Support with Speakup, Bash 4.2, GLIBC 2.13-r2, GCC 4.5.2, Binutils 2.21.1, Python 2.7.2 and 3.2, Perl 5.12.4, and more.
  • Desktop environments and window managers include: KDE 4.7.0, GNOME 3.0.0, Xfce 4.8, Enlightenment 1.0.8, Openbox 3.5.0, Fluxbox 1.3.1, XBMC 10.1 Awesome 3.4.10, and LXDE-Meta 0.5.5.
  • Office, graphics, and productivity applications include: LibreOffice 3.3.3, XEmacs 21.5.31 GVim 7.3.244, Abiword 2.8.6, Scribus 1.3.9, GIMP 2.6.11, Inkscape 0.48.2, Blender 2.57, XSane 0.998, and much more.
  • Web browsers include: Mozilla Firefox 5.0, Chromium 13.0 Arora 0.11.0, Opera 11.50.1074, Epiphany 3.0.4, Seamonkey 2.2, and other favorites.
  • Communication tools include: Pidgin 2.9.0, Quassel 0.7.2, Mozilla Thunderbird 5.0, Claws Mail 3.7.9, QTwitter 0.10.0, Irssi 0.8.15, and many more.
  • Development applications include: KDevelop 4.2.3, KDESvn 1.5.5, Qt-creator 2.2.1, Bluefish 2.0.3, and many more.
  • Multimedia applications include: Amarok 2.4.3, MPlayer 1.0_rc4, MPlayer2 2.0, DVDAuthor 0.6.14, LAME 3.98.4, FFmpeg 0.6.90, GNOME-MPlayer 1.0.4, SMPlayer 0.6.9, and several others.

For those that want an early test drive of the images, you can fetch them from http://77.110.8.68/gentoo10 or wait until they are at official mirrors.

x86 package list: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/453554/
amd64 package list: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/453555/

x86 kernel config: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/453556
amd64 kernel config: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/453557

Enjoy and send your feedback, suggestions and bugs.
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files have been moved from http://77.110.8.68/gentoo10 to the official mirrors;
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml
This is a really nice live dvd, likewhoa did a stellar job | direct rendering works on ati, intel and nvidia cards for GNOME3 and KDE 4.7 for your testing pleasure.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems i can't find rtl8192se kernel module on the disk, portage reports that it's installed but... :?
Latinvs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehr... did you smoke something "weird" when decided that in the Live-DVD (international), basque, kazakh LINGUAS flags were more necessary than spanish, french, chinese or german? xDD!
Ok, excuse the bad joke, and not that small languages don't deserve to be present, all my respect to them, but I think there are a couple of milliard people on earth that would think that their big languages do deserve it as well and have probably stared in awe at the KDE system settings when they (we) have seen how nicely they (we) can change the language from english to indonesian, kazach, basque, catalan or galician (all the languages of Spain excepting the national one). Perhaps you can take it into account for the next release?

Best regards.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latinvs wrote:
Ehr... did you smoke something "weird" when decided that in the Live-DVD (international), basque, kazakh LINGUAS flags were more necessary than spanish, french, chinese or german? xDD!
Ok, excuse the bad joke, and not that small languages don't deserve to be present, all my respect to them, but I think there are a couple of milliard people on earth that would think that their big languages do deserve it as well and have probably stared in awe at the KDE system settings when they (we) have seen how nicely they (we) can change the language from english to indonesian, kazach, basque, catalan or galician (all the languages of Spain excepting the national one). Perhaps you can take it into account for the next release?

Best regards.

please file a bug report regarding this and assign it to ten@gentoo.org. thanks in advanced.
Ariya
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: How do I get into the Internet? Reply with quote

It is Gentoo live DVD 11.2.
Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)

ifconfig shows only lo, not eth0. Wicd says that there is no wireless.

How do I get the connection?
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: How do I get into the Internet? Reply with quote

Ariya wrote:
It is Gentoo live DVD 11.2.
Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)

ifconfig shows only lo, not eth0. Wicd says that there is no wireless.

How do I get the connection?

please file a bug report regarding this and I will take care of adding support on the next release. Thanks in advanced. the missing driver is CONFIG_ATH9K_PCI for the wireless card.
ptrkmj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get into the Internet? Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:
the missing driver is CONFIG_ATH9K_PCI for the wireless card.

Ouch! I was just about to try livedvd out and I have exactly the same network setup as Ariya (probably the same laptop model). There was no ATH9K_PCI option in 2.6 kernel.

So it seems we're out of luck until next release (?)
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get into the Internet? Reply with quote

ptrkmj wrote:
likewhoa wrote:
the missing driver is CONFIG_ATH9K_PCI for the wireless card.

Ouch! I was just about to try livedvd out and I have exactly the same network setup as Ariya (probably the same laptop model). There was no ATH9K_PCI option in 2.6 kernel.

So it seems we're out of luck until next release (?)

I will update the livedvd today and post link to a beta iso which will have updates and these drivers enabled, keep in mind you might need to manually download a firmware then copy to livedvd environment to get wireless working. stay tune.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get into the Internet? Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:

I will update the livedvd today and post link to a beta iso which will have updates and these drivers enabled, keep in mind you might need to manually download a firmware then copy to livedvd environment to get wireless working. stay tune.

I was wandering : Is it possible for you to wait for few days till 3.1 comes out?
We already have dvd with 3.0 kernel :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: