mrouted, bridge and iptables nat table
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bircoph
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: mrouted, bridge and iptables nat table Reply with quote

Hello,

I have successfully setup a multicast router between multiple networks using mrouted,
but I need to implement some "advanced" features concerning multicast routing and I
struck with them.

1) I have a bridge interface br0 connected to mrouted. When there are subscribed
multicast users on this interface, I want mrouted to send multicasts only to those bridge
port(s) where these subscribers are, not to the whole br0 interface. How can I achieve this?

2) This is peculiar, but after mrouted is started, multicast packets do not traverse nat table
in the iptables (-j TRACE shows that nat table is not affected at all by multicasts after mrouted
was started). I want to do some fancy things there (and as to my knowledge ip source
mangling can't be done in any other table). So I need either to make multicast somehow
traverse the nat table, or mangle ip source in another place.
AngelKnight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: mrouted, bridge and iptables nat table Reply with quote

Bircoph wrote:
Hello,

I have successfully setup a multicast router between multiple networks using mrouted,
but I need to implement some "advanced" features concerning multicast routing and I
struck with them.

1) I have a bridge interface br0 connected to mrouted. When there are subscribed
multicast users on this interface, I want mrouted to send multicasts only to those bridge
port(s) where these subscribers are, not to the whole br0 interface. How can I achieve this?

CONFIG_BRIDGE_IGMP_SNOOPING

Bircoph wrote:
2) This is peculiar, but after mrouted is started, multicast packets do not traverse nat table
in the iptables (-j TRACE shows that nat table is not affected at all by multicasts after mrouted
was started). I want to do some fancy things there (and as to my knowledge ip source
mangling can't be done in any other table). So I need either to make multicast somehow
traverse the nat table, or mangle ip source in another place.

Not sure about this bit, maybe someone else has a better idea. Perhaps Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control can shed some light?
Bircoph
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: mrouted, bridge and iptables nat table Reply with quote

AngelKnight wrote:

CONFIG_BRIDGE_IGMP_SNOOPING

It was already enabled:
Code:

CONFIG_BRIDGE_IGMP_SNOOPING=y

but nevertheless tcpdump shows what I wrote before.

Quote:

Not sure about this bit, maybe someone else has a better idea. Perhaps Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control can shed some light?

Oh, no. This is the first document I started to read when I was curious about multicast. And it is extremely poor about multicast (but good in other subjects).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: