View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: libpng-1.5.x entered stable - upgrade tips Reply with quote

Hi folks,

now that libpng-1.5.x was unmasked I found my systems being unable to do a straightforward upgrade to that new version.
In my case this was caused by some .la files still containing -lpng14 so here's a small hint how to get rid of errors like:
Code:
... cannot find -lpng14...

First make sure you already did the upgrade steps the libpng-1.5.x ebuilds are suggesting. If you want to have as much fixed as possible with the first run, modify the command suggested by the ebuild as follows:
Code:
revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14' -- --keep-going

When this command has finished you should already have most of the packages being fixed and linked against libpng-1.5.x. Now to the -lpng14 problem. Run the following command to get rid of those:
Code:
emerge -1av --keep-going $(find /usr \( -name "*.la" -o -name "*.pc" -o -name "*-config" -o -name "*.pm" \) -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -CSq | sort | uniq)
(qfile belongs to app-portage/portage-utils package so make sure to have it installed before running this command).
2011-Oct-18: IMPORTANT! The combination of find and grep in our stable tree seems to have trouble with multiple filename patterns finding files containing a specific string[1]. I modified the command to circumvent this problem. All stable users are encouraged to repeat the search with the modified command.
Simply run the revdep-rebuild command again and all should be settled. If no more compile errors occur you may remove the old /usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14 from your system.
If you still have compile errors try to run the above command several times until all errors are gone.
In case emerge prints some error message like "emerge: error: no such option: -," the find command didn't find anything containing png14 and thus emerge got called with an invalid parameter. This doesn't hurt your system and should just be considered some "cosmetic disadvantage" of the above command ;)

[edit]
UPDATE1! Package slots should now be taken into account as well. Added "--keep-going" option to last one-liner.
UPDATE2! Added some more files to the find search. Now .la files and *-config files are taken into account, too.
UPDATE3! Adjusted summary to reflect png15 being in stable now.
UPDATE4! Added a comment about emerge printing an error message when the find command doesn't find anything containing png14.
UPDATE5! Added perl modules to the find search.
UPDATE6! Modified the find command to circumvent a problem with stable find/grep combination.
[/edit]

[1] Thanks mephinet for giving the correct hints.

[mod]"Sticking" thread - Jorge (jmbsvicetto)[/mod]

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)

Last edited by Polynomial-C on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:55 am; edited 9 times in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wohoo, I sense adventures ahead ;)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: libpng-1.5.x unleashed into ~arch - upgrade tips Reply with quote

Polynomial-C wrote:
In my case this was caused by some .la files still containing -lpng14

A nice proof devs are speaking with each other.... :/
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-873099.html

And instead of providing that hack, you might get in touch with ssuominen to get the failing packages fix.
Not saying i'm not happy to get that fix for unstable users, but getting the packages that fail fix will help more stable users to avoid more troubles if possible.
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: libpng-1.5.x unleashed into ~arch - upgrade tips Reply with quote

Polynomial-C wrote:
Code:
emerge -1av $(find /usr -name "*.la" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -Cq | sort | uniq)

This works for the most of the packages, only dev-python/pygtksourceview and x11-libs/gtksourceview fail. I can build x11-libs/gtksourceview, but the build of dev-python/pygtksourceview fails. When I run find /usr -name "*.la" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -Cq | sort | uniq again, it always brings up those two packages.
omidxo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: libpng-1.5.x unleashed into ~arch - upgrade tips Reply with quote

lxg wrote:
Polynomial-C wrote:
Code:
emerge -1av $(find /usr -name "*.la" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -Cq | sort | uniq)

This works for the most of the packages, only dev-python/pygtksourceview and x11-libs/gtksourceview fail. I can build x11-libs/gtksourceview, but the build of dev-python/pygtksourceview fails. When I run find /usr -name "*.la" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -Cq | sort | uniq again, it always brings up those two packages.

Which SLOT is x11-libs/gtksourceview?
Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/pygtksourceview-2.10.1  USE="-debug -doc" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/clutter-gtk-1.0.2  USE="introspection -debug -doc -examples" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/gtksourceview-3.0.5-r1  USE="introspection -doc -glade -test" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] app-editors/gedit-plugins-2.32.0  USE="python -charmap -synctex -terminal" 0 kB

Total: 4 packages (4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] no

x11-libs/gtksourceview-3.0.5-r1 is wrong.

Type
Code:
emerge pygtksourceview clutter-gtk =gtksourceview-2.10.5-r1 gedit-plugins -1D

Every is ok.
omidxo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe clutter-gtk should be clutter-gtk-0.10.8 too.
Timbers2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: libpng-1.5.x unleashed into ~arch - upgrade tips Reply with quote

omidxo wrote:
lxg wrote:
Polynomial-C wrote:
Code:

Which SLOT is x11-libs/gtksourceview?
Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/clutter-gtk-1.0.2  USE="introspection -debug -doc -examples" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/gtksourceview-3.0.5-r1  USE="introspection -doc -glade -test" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] app-editors/gedit-plugins-2.32.0  USE="python -charmap -synctex -terminal" 0 kB

Total: 4 packages (4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] no

Type
Code:
emerge pygtksourceview clutter-gtk =gtksourceview-2.10.5-r1 gedit-plugins -1D

Every is ok.

Why is x11-libs/gtksourceview-3.0.5-r1 wrong? It's the current version. We need to emerge an old version?
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: libpng-1.5.x unleashed into ~arch - upgrade tips Reply with quote

omidxo wrote:

Good point!

Code:
emerge -1q "<x11-libs/gtksourceview-3" dev-python/pygtksourceview

That did it. :)
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: libpng-1.5.x unleashed into ~arch - upgrade tips Reply with quote

Polynomial-C wrote:
Now tho the -lpng14 problem. I ran the following command to get rid of those:
Code:
(qfile belongs to app-portage/portage-utils package so make sure to have it installed before running this command).
Now simply run the revdep-rebuild command again and all should be settled. If no more compile errors occur you may remove the old /usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14 from your system.

First - thanks for posting this and the tip!

Second, - I did my normal every other week upgrade world process. This came back with approximately 50 packages to upgrade. The resulting 'emerge @preserved-rebuild' directive came back with 125 packages to rebuild. I used 'emerge --keep-going @preserved-rebuild'.

A number of packages still failed with '-libpng14' failures.

When I run the command you suggest, the following packages on my system are selected:
Code:
rebuild   R    ] gnome-base/libgnomecanvas-2.30.3  USE="-doc -glade -test" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/guiloader-c++-2.21.0  USE="nls" LINGUAS="-ru" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] app-pda/gnome-pilot-2.32.1  USE="eds -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-cpp/libsexymm-0.1.9  USE="-debug -doc" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-cpp/pangomm-2.28.2  USE="-doc" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/gdl-3.0.2  USE="introspection -doc" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/pygoocanvas-0.14.1  USE="-doc -examples" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-vcs/giggle-0.5  USE="eds -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] games-board/ggz-gtk-client-0.0.14.1  USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/libgnomekbd-2.32.0  USE="-test" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-extra/bug-buddy-2.32.0-r2  USE="eds" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-extra/gnome-media-2.32.0-r1  USE="pulseaudio" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-extra/gtkhtml-4.0.2  0 kB
[ebuild  NS    ] x11-libs/goocanvas-2.0.0 [1.0.0] USE="-doc -examples" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.24.5  USE="-doc -test" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/gtkglext-1.2.0  USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-cpp/libgnomecanvasmm-2.26.0  USE="-debug -doc -examples" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-util/crow-designer-2.21.0  USE="nls" LINGUAS="-ru" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-cpp/gtkglextmm-1.2.0-r1  USE="-debug -doc" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] net-print/gnome-cups-manager-0.33-r2  USE="samba" 0 kB

When I tried to compile several of these individually, the individual packages I tried still failed with -lpng14 errors. Running this never got past the 'dev-libs/guiloader-c++-2.21.0' package.

However, if I may be so bold, perhaps a small modification {add the '--keep-going' option} to your tip is in order:
Code:
emerge -1av --keep-going $(find /usr -name "*.la" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -Cq | sort | uniq)

Depending on installed packages and individual existing installation issues there is, I believe, potential for circular dependency or ordering issues which will make any given packages installation success problematic.

What I did was take the above generated list and started attempting to install each one individually, the ones earlier in the list which failed would then be able to succeed.

More specificially, once I manually completed the libraries dealing with memory management ('mm' and 'canvas') packages, then packages like 'guiloader-c++' would complete whereas simply running the recommended order of packages would always fail. Just guessing, but perhaps pangomm and sexymm in particular?

Because 'emerge' selects random order when the correct emerge order can't be determined {due to conflicting/circular dependency issues}, different people will experience differing degrees of success. I will also note that this especially seems to be a problem with the 'gnome' universe of packages. {le sigh} So the above is not a surprise to me whatsoever.

In other words, because emerge order can't always be correctly determined, Polynomial-C's tip should probably be modified as suggested and don't be surprised if you need to run re-iteratively 1 or 2 additional times.

edit

I ended up executing:
Code:
emerge -1q "<x11-libs/gtksourceview-3" dev-python/pygtksourceview
emerge -1av --keep-going $(find /usr -name "*.la" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -Cq | sort | uniq)

I still have one package left with -lpng14' failure:
Code:
>>> Failed to emerge dev-python/pygoocanvas-0.14.1

libtool: link:  x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -shared  .libs/goocanvasmodule_la-goocanvasmodule.o .libs/goocanvasmodule_la-goocanvas.o   /usr/lib64/libgoocanvas.so -L/usr/lib64 -lresolv -lpixman-1 /usr/lib64/libdirectfb.so -lpng14 /usr/lib64/libXrender.so -lexpat -lEGL /usr/lib64/libfusion.so /usr/lib64/libdirect.so -lX11 -lxcb /usr/lib64/libXau.so /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.so -ldl -lz -lGL -lm -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 /usr/lib64/libatk-1.0.so -lpthread -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0 -lcairo -lpython2.7  -pthread -march=opteron -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-O1 -pthread   -pthread -Wl,-soname -Wl,goocanvasmodule.so -Wl,-version-script -Wl,.libs/goocanvasmodule.ver -o .libs/goocanvasmodule.so
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng14

Not being a programmer, I'm still trying different search strategies to stomp on this one. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited by dufeu on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, at least in my case @preserved-rebuild did quite a nice job but some more logic is needed in the way portage orders the package for merging, i mean, nautilus wouldnt build until cairo was rebuilt (IIRC) and so on.
it didnt catch all packages though and Polynomial-Cs trick showed 5 more packages that indeed were broken according to revdep-rebuild.

cheers
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unable to quash the 'pygoocanvas' issue so I cheated.

I approached the problem from the direction of "Do I actually need this?". I did an 'equery depends' check and it turned out I only need pygoocanvas for 'pitivi'. This is a video editor I was trying. Did an "emerge --depclean pitivi && emerge --depclean pygoocanvas" and successfully removed both packages.

I also, in the hopes that any possible regressions may have been found and fixed since I last did and 'emerge --sync', refreshed the portage tree. Indeed, there was a zlib regression effecting 'vlc'.

Everything is now up to date. There are no remaining @preserved-rebuild items. "emerge --depclean" reports no items to needing to be removed. All the '-lpng14' failures now appear to be resolve.

Huzzah.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you
Code:
find /usr/lib/ -name '*.la' -exec grep png14 {} +

?

This brought up libpangomm which wasn't caught by @preserved-rebuild - after rebuilding that, I also had a clean system.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These packages still fail to fix lpng14 error above despite all the tips in all forums:

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.32.1-r3  USE="bonobo eds introspection* networkmanager -doc" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] net-print/gnome-cups-manager-0.33-r2  USE="samba" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] app-office/dia-0.97.1  USE="cairo gnome python -debug -doc (-png%*) (-zlib%*)" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.32.1-r2  USE="libnotify policykit pulseaudio smartcard -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] media-gfx/pngcrush-1.7.17  0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] app-office/gnucash-2.4.7  USE="chipcard cxx doc hbci mysql ofx postgres python quotes webkit -debug -sqlite" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-lang/R-2.13.1  USE="X bash-completion cairo java jpeg lapack nls openmp png readline tk -doc -minimal -perl* -profile -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-extra/libgda-4.2.9  USE="berkdb gnome-keyring graphviz gtk introspection java ldap mysql postgres sourceview ssl -bindist -canvas -debug -doc (-firebird) -http -json -oci8" 0 kB
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should re-sync, R did build fine for me yesterday.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I just did and R compiled just fine. The rest do not, though. Thanks.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case the transition to 1.5.x was more painful than the transition to 1.4.x. My thanks go to Polynomial-C for his tips, to omidxo for reminding me that the couple of packages whose .la files I could not rid of the dreaded -lpng14 were slotted (I could kick myself for not realising sooner!), and to dufeu for mentioning pygoocanvas. I wonder in retrospect if the problem with pygoocanvas was due to goocanvas: I fixed that after removing pygoocanvas but, had I fixed goocanvas first, perhaps I would not have needed to remove pygoocanvas? Anyway, it's all good again now, after a couple of days of tinkering. :roll:

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your feedback.
I've updated the last command in my original post so that slots are now taken into account and --keep-going is used there as well. This should at least help those people to not have this command failing over and over again because portage isn't correctly ordering the to be recompiled packages.

my portage overlay

dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polynomial-C wrote:
Thanks for all your feedback.
I've updated the last command in my original post so that slots are now taken into account and --keep-going is used there as well. This should at least help those people to not have this command failing over and over again because portage isn't correctly ordering the to be recompiled packages.

Thank you! It was your original post which pointed me in the right direction to get a handle on solving my problems.

:D
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Althought OT
genstorm wrote:
Code:
find /usr/lib/ -name '*.la' -exec grep png14 {} +
I prefer
Code:
find /usr/lib/ -name '*.la' -print0 | xargs -0 grep -l png14
which should always be faster
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last detail: If you execute the 'emerge $(find' command and receive the following:
Code:
Usage: emerge [options]

emerge: error: no such option: -,

It means that no ".la" files which still wanted -lpng14 were found.

As it happened, all of my x86 based systems {which are, relatively speaking, lightly loaded with packages} did not have any packages needing -lpng14. Needless to say, I was perplexed by this for awhile.

:D
furanku
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for these instructions!

I think this topic should be moved to "Documentation, Tips & Tricks" as it provides valuable and time-saving informations for all ~arch users.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
ramaswamy@localtux ~ $ su
Password:
localtux ramaswamy # emerge -1av $(find /usr -name "*.la" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -Cq | sort | uniq)

localtux ramaswamy #

from above posts it was said no pckages need -libpng14
but i need it for graphviz
emrge error says

Code:
CCLD   libgvplugin_gd_C.la
   CCLD   libgvplugin_gd.la
 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng14
 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

what now?
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
Code:
ramaswamy@localtux ~ $ su
Password:
localtux ramaswamy # emerge -1av $(find /usr -name "*.la" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -Cq | sort | uniq)

localtux ramaswamy #

from above posts it was said no pckages need -libpng14
but i need it for graphviz
emrge error says

Code:
   CCLD   libgvplugin_gd.la
 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng14

what now?

Maybe this -lpng14 is coming from a pkgconfig file. You may try a slightly updated version of the one-liner:
Code:
emerge -1av --keep-going $(find /usr -name "*.la" -o -name "*.pc" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -CSq | sort | uniq)

Please report back if that helps so I can update my first post accordingly.

my portage overlay

SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polynomial-C wrote:

Code:
   CCLD   libgvplugin_gd.la

Maybe this -lpng14 is coming from a pkgconfig file.

It could be `gdlib-config --libs` so before building graphviz, you might need to execute `emerge -1 media-libs/gd`.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think all above solutions apply to portage-2.2 users.
first i merged portage-2.2.0_alpha60
then downgraded/remerged libpng-1.4.8-r2
then i got
Code:
ramaswamy@localtux ~ $ dir /usr/lib/libpng*
/usr/lib/libpng.so      /usr/lib/libpng14.so.14  /usr/lib/libpng15.so.15
/usr/lib/libpng12.so.0  /usr/lib/libpng15.so     /usr/lib/libpng15.so.15.5.0

after that graphviz merged ok
for libgdbm.so.3 i had to downgrade gdbm
now only i get preserved-rebuild libs
previous portage used to just remove old libs like lpng14 libgdbm.so.3 then i got into problems.
now it looks alright
thanks for reply
emerge -DNuav world picked up gdbm upgrade but not libpng15
probably nothing uses libpng15 in my system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: