YET another *tiny* FOO overlay with aufs2 and *GIT* sources
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: YET another *tiny* FOO overlay with aufs2 and *GIT* sources Reply with quote

Hi or hey gentooligans,

I'm just pushing a lit'le post to announce the birth of yet another bar-overlay with one or two, well, maybe three or so, ebuilds,--notably aufs2-{standalone,util} as separate packages because I'd rather update as soon as possible the module ebuild as fast as sfjiro release a weekly fix that interest me, and build the module ASAP, rather than wait til', and forget the FS util;--and {exfat-utils,fuse-exfat} because I have still backup drives with FAT64 FS(!); *-git* sources--git as pulled by git, because I decided to keep a 'bar' repo clone of the latest stable mainline than downloading a 72MB tarball archive each time...;--(zen-sources-2.6.3{8.8,9-4} but I'm dropping the hot potato! I've just had a headache trying to compile .9.4 because of aufs2 module and found a patch for a single (long fixed) issue and wondered what was going without forgetting the single aufs2.1-$KV_PATCH which did not give any info about which release date it was/is--vanished as a voodoo thing in the compiling maybe--); and a few, maybe useless for many people out there, ebuilds that I'd rather *emerge* (and unmerge cleanly) rather than merge manually.

And that's all. I've said that I'd be short! And here the link for the foo-overlay.

Currently, the -git ebuild will pull
  1. a bar linux.git for mainline--or linux-3.0.y.git for the stable branch--clone which is *only* ~450MB of size instead of a nearly 1GB for a no bar clone;
  2. the current TuxOnIce for 3.0 if the tuxonice USE flag is set;
  3. a no bare aufs3-standalone.git clone (~2MB) and clone the latset aufs3.0 patchset for the stable branch or aufs3.0-rcN for mainline;
  4. pull genpatch extras v3 if fcondecor USE flag is set;
  5. ADDED 20110812: added {ck,bfs,hz} USE flags to add the whole -ck patchset or bfs/hz[+preempt] to the patch stack;
  6. clone and merge the latest 3.0.N stable tree or the latest 3.1_rcN.

That's all pals!

To finish, the overlay can be cloned from 'git@github.com:tokiclover/bar-overlay.git' or by 'https://github.com/tokiclover/bar-overlay.git' if you prefer https.

NOTE: I'm hesitating to set up a header USE flag for aufs2-standalone and avoid merging the header file if it's not necessary, but still not decided to add it or not. [ALREADY DONE]

EDIT: Now that aufs2.1 is deprecated in favor aufs2.2 for kernel 2.6.35-2.6.39 and aufs3 for 3.0 kernel, the introduction should be rewritten slightly to make it clear that aufs2.2 would be merged if and only if it is built against a kernel .35-39 or aufs3.0 for kernel >=3.0; And that aufs2-standalone and aufs3-standalone, after a day of cohabitation--those ebuilds can be retrieved with a `git checkout <commit>' if needed,--have been merge into a single aufs-standalone ebuild to make it easy to manage file collisions; And that aufs2-util and aufs-util have been merged into aufs-util ebuild for the same reason.

Last edited by tclover on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just went through the first major clean up to make the overlay usable for gentooligan <xyz> without much effort and hard masked a few unstabe packages. Darn, it was painfull, I did not expect to have that many packages on my local overlay :D. Now, sys-power/acpi_call-9999 (a Linux Hybrid Graphics module for those who do not have VGASwitcheroo or who don't manage to get it working, hosted on github,) is fully mergeable. And I updated oss-4.2.*.ebuild as well. Other ebuilds might not interest anyone but a few e17 users. I still have to clean up x11-themes category which won't happen any time soon--I had enough with what I've already done.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Unsupported Software as overlay ebuilds are not officially supported.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: commit b2a540c..64066f8 - adding sys-kernel/git-sources-3.1_rc1 for the more adventurous ones with liitle changes of the main ebuild, 3.0.2-stable will be released very soon with almost 80% of drivers fixes, stay tuned! lkml link

EDIT: And yeah, as -rt devs are very active the time, I could easily add a git-sources-${PV/r[0-9]*/rt11}.ebuild (-r1 -> -rt11) if some people are interested! I wouldn't test the kernel though... however, knowing the instability of that new -rt kernel, I'd move aufs2 as a USE flag (aufs) dependent feature and make -rt patchset as the built in patch stack on the 3.0.1-stable (vanilla) tree. Of course, I'd try to add everything/enable all the USE flags/ to see if everything goes as expected, so, will remain the `make' and running issues introduced by the -rt patchset but the support of those is good right now as the 3.0 -rt patchset is not yet stable.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three commits related to aufs3-standalone and aufs-util for kernel >=3.0 following today sfjiro release: sys-kernel/git-sources have been updated to follow aufs3-standalone.git; sys-fs/aufs{3-standlone,util} made their way into the tree for kernel >=3.0; and sys-fs/aufs2-* ebuild have been update to take into account these changes.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEXT COMMIT FIXED ALL THE PREVIOUS MESS:
Quote:
now with the changes introduced by aufs3, I couldn't possibly leave multiple different pkgs based on the same src which install the same files without considering file collisions--I leaved it to the user in the three previous commits. I went to merge aufs{2,3}-standalone together and merge aufs{,2}-util together to have a single package for each. Now, I had to make use of a trick whiwh is not that clean, but wait there's nothing wrong fixing version strings related stuff to the main ebuild... I'll try to move as many things in pkg_setup() later. And aufs{2,3}-standalone and aufs2-util will be removed later because now sys-fs/aufs-{standalone,util} manage all the version stings related stuff.'

EDIT: do not make use of aufs3-standalone or aufs-standalone with kernel >=3.0 because there's a bug--a missing exported symbole--which whould be fixed in the next release. Or else, you can patch the required file because it's not a big deal... or try aufs2-standalone but I don't guarantee anything because I don't knwo if sfjoro remove the 3.0 branch--that branch is rename aufs2.2-3.0-don't use so...
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LATEST COMMIT FIXING A MAJOR ISSUE FROM sys-kernel/git-sources:
commit a4d97e7..cb4fc5c wrote:
sys-kernel/git-sources critical update: i've just noticed trying to bump version 3.0.1-r1 to 3.0.3-r1 that the git link was not stable linux-3.0.y.git but mainline linux.git, so, actually the 3.0.1-r1 was pulling in linux v3.0 release from mainline but not from the stable repository. now this is fixed with this commit. version *_rc2 went to a mjor fix i do not think one could make use of it without editing. now everything should be fine and pull in the intended linux-3.0.y.git stable branch or pull in mainline linux.git for the rc ebuild. there is still the aufs3 export symbol that is missing. i might fix it to merge 3.0.3-r1 asap or else... wait for sfjiro release of next monday. let me see if i can find the mail in question...
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

commit 5ad9...9f19 wrote:
sys-kernel/git-sources update...again: adding EXPORT_SYMBOL(cap_file_mmap) patch till it get fixed, easily done.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, after several commits, the overlay went to a major cleaning--almost every ebuild should behave, even the annoying x11-themes went into the same process, well I gave up on a issues with elementary-gtk-theme which is, actually, failing due to a gtk-3.0 symlink. I could fix it or rather make a mercurial live ebuild because I have no clue on why src_unpack() fails at that, just for a directory check.

Anyway, every single ebuild should behave as expected and I may add sys-boot/initramfs-ll-9999.ebuild (git based repository) ebuild for building an initramfs with LUKS+LVM2+crypted keyfile+AUFS2+SQUASHFS+TOI if I feel like it. There's a thread on Tips & Tricks about it. That thing have an init service to manage squashed dirs and a script for [re]building squashed images if one use aufs2+squashfs. Else, one can use it as base to boot an unencrypted rootfs with or without aufs2+squashfs OR boot from encrypted PVs with/whithout LVM2 and with/whithout TuxOnIce from a swap file|device (host device shall be encrypted with LUKS for TOI!).
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: git-2.eclass update and more! Reply with quote

YET another important upate!
latest commit wrote:
git-2.eclass major fix to make it possible to merge from EGIT_TAG only which git-sources-3.0.y-rN.ebuild was relying on since commit 1c2e82bdefa3bec39891 (2011-08-22) because EGIT_COMMIT were commented out. EGIT_COMMIT are commented in again but one probably could not merge git-sources-3.0.y-rN.ebuild stable builds (with the officla portage git-2 eclass) as official git-2.eclass cannot switch branch from (EGIT_TAG) a tag, hence the custom git-2.eclass. this issue just pop out after checking an ebuild (gmusicbrowser-1.1.7.ebuild) introduced by the previous commit and noticed the epic failure to switch branch relying only on EGIT_TAG--git-2.eclass required an extra fix!

I've just noticed that issue after pushing an update to media-sound/gmusicbrowser--cause now the (latest) live|stable|beta rely solely on git-2 eclass--and had to fix asap git-2 eclass which wasn't difficult to do... still noticing it wasn't obvious as i commented out EGIT_COMMIT on the stable git-sources ebuilds (git-sources-3.0.y-rN.ebuild) after merging v3.0.3-r1.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added an ebuild for sys-boot/initramfs-ll-9999 (git based repo) the other day. I have just commited a fix adding tuxince and splash USE flags. That thing pull in cryptsetup, v86d as minimal requirements if i remember correctly and lvm2/toi-userui/splashutils with USE flags. And yes, one can build anb intramfs with AUFS2-SQUASHFS/LUKS/LVM2/crypted keyfile(s) (GnuPG/LUKS)/SPLASH/TOI easily, did i forget something? running $script -h|--help may help i think for options related stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: