Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I can't modprobe my sound module...............
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 6:03 am    Post subject: I can't modprobe my sound module............... Reply with quote

I have just been taking the steps to get sound working and got the the point where it says to either reboot or modprobe the modules and modprobe can't find the module. I am positive that via8233.o is the module that I should be using cause I have an MSI KT3Ultra MB with intergrated sound by via. If thats not the right module then what is? Please help :D

Oops, just found out that the sound is realtek ALC650, don't know if thats supported. brb.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't get my sound card installed. There is supposed to be support of some kind from what I have found on the net.

This is the best info I could find but its a patch for the 2.4.17 kernel:
Kernel: 2.4.17
Hardware: ALi5451+ALC100P
Module: sound/ac97_codec.c

The following patch adds the ALC100, ALC100P, ALC101, ALC201, ALC201A and
ALC650 codecs to the list. It was tested with a mother using ALC100P. The rest are from information found in Realtek's datasheets (ALC=Avance Logic, now absorved by Realtek).
The patch not only adds the entries but also changes the structure a little bit. That's needed because according to the datasheets the lower 4 bits are reserved for the revision number (0000==rev A). In fact the chip I have returns 6 as revision number. For this reason I added a field to indicate a mask to filter some bits.

diff -ru linux-2.4.17.ori/drivers/sound/ac97_codec.c
linux-2.4.17/drivers/sound/ac97_codec.c
--- linux-2.4.17.ori/drivers/sound/ac97_codec.c Mon Nov 12 15:02:54 2001 +++ linux-2.4.17/drivers/sound/ac97_codec.c Tue Jan 8 21:54:34 2002 @@ -31,6 +31,8 @@

So according to this (I hope) I should be able to use the ac97 module. Guess it can't really hurt to give it a try ehh. If anyone knows the deal on this for the love of god help me out :D
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fled the crowds in Desktop Environments for the wide open spaces of the new Multimedia forum.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: