Alpha EV5 boot question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
molander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Alpha EV5 boot question Reply with quote

I am attempting to install gentoo on an EV5 but I am not a alpha guru. My understanding is that to boot gentoo (or any linux) you need to have a BSD partition style layout setup with space in the front reserved for aboot. Is there any way to not use a BSD partion layouts? I had already started the install and I am ready to give a compiled kernel a shot however I am not sure how to get my machine to actually boot it. I read https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=71352&highlight=ev5 but they didnt go into much detail about the boot setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
backebergd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get a solution for this one?

I'm using the BSD partition format, with about 12MB free at the beginning of the disk for aboot. I discovered that aboot required ext2 (or ext3) to be able to boot the partition, which meant that both /boot and /etc (for aboot.conf) needed to be in ext2 format. I wanted reiserfs, so came up with a simple hack. Found the source file that pointed to /etc, and changed it to /boot. Now I have my entire disk on reiserfs, with the exception of /boot. Any ideas on how to get /boot on reiserfs are welcome. Maybe I could somehow link aboot with reiserfs libraries?
bogomips
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backebergd wrote:
Did you ever get a solution for this one?

I'm using the BSD partition format, with about 12MB free at the beginning of the disk for aboot. I discovered that aboot required ext2 (or ext3) to be able to boot the partition, which meant that both /boot and /etc (for aboot.conf) needed to be in ext2 format. I wanted reiserfs, so came up with a simple hack. Found the source file that pointed to /etc, and changed it to /boot. Now I have my entire disk on reiserfs, with the exception of /boot. Any ideas on how to get /boot on reiserfs are welcome. Maybe I could somehow link aboot with reiserfs libraries?

Simple hack? grr:-) More simple: You have to tell aboot where your aboot.conf is stored:
abootconf /dev/hda 2 //means 2 = part. b == /boot/etc/aboot.conf :-)
AFAIK Boot on reiserfs isn't possible, but who is interested in a bootpartition which is normally not mounted?

And to the previous poster: AFAIK if you use MILO you can have a "normal" partition table

Hope that helps a little bit
molander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up just using the BSD partitions. The Alpha runs very well however there are some issues with portage. They may be fixed now, I really haven't checked. I believe when I installed the alpha port really was supported/acknoledged. aboot doesnt read reiser yet but maybe in the future. I have actually ditched reiser because I keep getting corrupted filesystems with the alphas and x86s.
bogomips
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

molander wrote:
I ended up just using the BSD partitions. The Alpha runs very well however there are some issues with portage. They may be fixed now, I really haven't checked. I believe when I installed the alpha port really was supported/acknoledged. aboot doesnt read reiser yet but maybe in the future. I have actually ditched reiser because I keep getting corrupted filesystems with the alphas and x86s.

Hmm, I really don't know what people do to get corrupted fs with reiser??
I'm working with reiser since many years on a lot of (x86) machines without problems. Ok, if you shut down the system without a clean unmount then you will loose some files, but no corruption. For this case it's just a question of tuning the kernel so that it writes down all the data more regularly.
On my Alpha I have xfs but there are some troubles at the moment.
bogomips
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogomips wrote:
Hmm, I really don't know what people do to get corrupted fs with reiser??

Do they use heavily patched kernels? They should try a vanilla-kernel and see if the problem still exist.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: