[install] inet disconnect problem!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: [install] inet disconnect problem! Reply with quote

I don't know if you would call this a bug but I certainly would. I was installing the gentoo os from a stage 1 package on an old Pentium 2, 192Mb RAM. So the process took a long time. However, at the point in the manual where it instructs me to run
Code:
emerge system

the command took a very long time. In fact it was running for about 6 hours. Then I momentarily lost my internet connection (ADSL), it came back on after a couple of hours. However the install process aborted because it was unable to download the required package from the gentoo server. Considering the installation process takes very long, something should be done to avoid doing it all over again and losing 6 hours! At the very least a prompt to the user of what to do next (retry, abort etc). Or better yet, download all files at the start of the install process (or at least at the start of each new step, since each one seems to take forever) so that a user can safely disconnect and still continue with the installation process.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: [install] inet disconnect problem! Reply with quote

numerodix wrote:
Considering the installation process takes very long, something should be done to avoid doing it all over again and losing 6 hours!

emerge -f system

man emerge for more information.

--kurt
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you can use ccache so you wont lose anything if ur computer restartrs in the middle of a compile.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: