View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radio_flyer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the original stage1-style install back in 2003. Have /home mounted on a separate partition. Since then I've moved my system from Intel to AMD to Intel, to laptops and desktops, 32 and 64 bits, single to quad cores, by simply doing a minimal Gentoo boot on a cloned disk, re-configuring and re-compiling the kernel and gcc, and then re-compiling world. Do a few driver and Xorg tweaks, and my system is back like it was, only much faster on the desktop, or more portable on the laptop. Network settings, custom application setups, ebuild patches I've made to certain apps, real-time tweaks for audio work, all that and more come back like magic. WAAAYYY nicer than installing and reconfiguring a new distribution from scratch, or trying to clone an existing binary distribution onto a different architecture. And there's no 'friendly' GUI app or background daemon quietly changing my setup during the process.

I use my systems for embedded software development, hardware design (electrical and mechanical), and FPGA firmware development, as well as the usual office and home finance apps, on both desktops and laptops. Almost all are native linux apps, some purchased, some free. I have all of my old machines from the early to mid 90's still running, from Windows 3.11 to Windows 2000, an old Redhat 5, etc. All as VMWare virtual machines. With it I can still fire up my old copy of Borland C++ 3.1, or AutoCAD, or any number of other long-ago engineering apps, as just another window on my Gentoo desktop. On my home system I even have a number of my old DOS, C64 and TRS-80 programs running just fine under the dosbox, x64 and trs80 emulators respectively (although I rarely use them anymore).

Gentoo is great for that sort of desktop OS stuff, porting from an older version of a processor to a newer one, or even across certain architectures provided a live CD is available. But I haven't had much use for it as an embedded OS, or seen it used much in clusters or the like. Yes, it's a meta-distribution, but portage doesn't support cross-compilation all that well, it's a 'hefty' OS to install on an embedded system, and it requires more regular maintenance than I'd care to perform on a cluster. There are more specialized distributions for those applications. I like Gentoo for what it is, namely, an easy-to-customize desktop OS that lets me do things my way without requiring me to do the Linux from Scratch thing.

BTW, am I the only one who can't understand why the Gentoo forum spell-checker thinks 'Gentoo' is a mis-spelling :lol:
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radio_flyer wrote:
BTW, am I the only one who can't understand why the Gentoo forum spell-checker thinks 'Gentoo' is a mis-spelling :lol:

Hmmm... You will find in the minutes of the exceptional meeting Hobbes and I held today into the box of secrecy that we do suspect radio_flyer as being an avatar of Suzie Derkins ! :wink:
Get rid of OSS ! :P

Your beloved only true Dictator For life !
relkai
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it on my headless home server as a firewall / router / DNS server / DHCP server / Apache webserver / mail server / Squid proxy server / MythTV backend (stable x86).

On my laptop for daily usage: PHP script development, browsing, listening to music, watching videos, ... (stable x86_64).

Furthermore I've got two Nettops (Zotac ZBOX HD-ID33) configured as MythTV frontends (both stable x86_64).
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radio_flyer wrote:

There isn't a forum spell-checker, most likely it's your browser.
redwold
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switch to gentoo from linux mint because mint is boring . i use gentoo for browsing , listen music , some c programming projects of my college .
yellowhat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- A desktop for everyday use, unfortunately dual-boot with Windows 7 (for games and CAD software): AMD Athlon X2 5000+, 3GB RAM, Ati HD5770, ~amd64, gnome-light
- A laptop for testing: AMD Athlon 3500+, 1.5GB RAM, Ati x200, ~x86, fluxbox-9999
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old desktop computer at work runs Gentoo 32bit on an old Xeon-1 CPU with 1.5 GiB of memory. I am using Openbox with the most recent (stable) xorg-server and nouveau drivers for an nVidia 5200-PCI there. Main applications are:
  1. Konsole - I need a lot of ssh connections to our servers
  2. Eclipse - For Perl, PHP and XML
  3. Code::Blocks - For C/C++
  4. dolphin/kdesvn - For usage with our software repositories.

My companies laptop runs Gentoo 64bit on an i7 system with 4GiB RAM. There I have a full scale KDE-4.6.0 (currently upgrading to 4.6.1) desktop with full semantic-desktop and kdepim. Main applications are:
  1. kontact - for email, exchange calendars, newsfeeds and usenet groups (I am participating in comp.lang.c++.moderated, comp.std.c++ and de.comp.lang.iso-c++)
  2. OpenOffice - For Word/Excel files
  3. Firefox - well... uhm...
  4. Amarok - Yes, editing large XML-Files can be quite dull... Nothing against a good round of "Epica" or "Iron Maiden" in your ear then. ;)
  5. Eclipse and Code::Blocks for the same reasons as above, but more seldom, because:
  6. Geany - Most stuff I have to edit on my laptop are quick fixes, where geany is more than enough for

At home I used to use gentoo on an AMD PhenomII system, but currently I do most of my own private stuff on my laptop, too. Therefore the home desktop runs Windows 7 Pro 64bit for gaming reasons mainly. (Which means.. uhm... about 2 to 3 hours a week.)

...ah! Nearly forgot:
On my companies laptop I have three Gentoo Virtual Machines as a VMware Team to test High Speed Clustering with Gentoo.
Mr. M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo for everything... let's see

• Thinkpad T61: work while traveling, giving presentations etc.
  • Desktop at work (Dell Precision T1500, core i7 quad core, 3GHz, 8GB RAM): work (mostly running simulations in Matlab or Python, some 3D visualization)
  • Desktop at home (core i7 quad core, 2.6GHz, 6GB RAM) work from home, watching movies, some games, RC helicopter simulator

And last but not least:

• Old HP laptop converted to a digital picture frame (Gentoo installed on 4GB CF card): hangs around on the wall showing pictures
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main OS since early 2005, playground since 2002.

Currently using it on:
3x Workstation/Desktop
1x Laptop
1x Mobile phone
hamilito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...everything!

My setup is a SONY VAIO vgn-fw140e Laptop and I'm a Computer Science student so:

LAMP, VMs, web development, a lil bit of gaming, surfing, music, and since my newly acquired Nexus S (ohhh yeeaaHH) android SDK.

Been using Gentoo for about two years now (used Fedora - core 4 to F9 - before and have used Ubuntu which is cool but for no more than a few days) and when I started I got instantly hooked. The more I learned the more I liked it.
I take my laptop with me every day to college so yes I use it every day. Gentoo is a very flexible and versatile system. LOVE IT!

I have a Windows partition but it's been sooooooooo long since I last used it that the part of the hard disk in which the partition is located probably have rust by now.

Code:
emerge --lets-dominate-the-world NOW

--------Apart--------
I read in a few posts that you guys use gentoo for VIDEO EDITING and I'm interested in which software do you use, if you use a particular one.
You can PM me so not to change the subject of the thread.
-----------------------------------------------
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer 1: Internet, email, HTPC, games, and VirtualBox host for Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows 98, opensuse, and Slackware.

Computer 2: Server and second desktop.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
The best government is the government that governs least.
joaopft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 desktops (mine and my wife's), the family's laptop and one netbook. Also, my desktop at work.

I also have gentoo on a 400MHz PowerPC computer built on 1999, I ocasionally update it (with distcc, cross-compiling on intel hardware), just for the fun of it.
theMerge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently:
Dual boot gentoo lappy, win7 is getting a bit dusty.
Dual boot dell desktop, winxp is currently rusting.

In the future:
I'd like to put gentoo on my work compy.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dual boot something on my desktop here. Im not sure what the other thing is or if it even works :P otherwise its 100% gentoo desktop
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
steven300
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is gentoo?
^marcs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atm i use gentoo for maintaining gentoo :)
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

work:
large cluster of mail servers (more than a dozen, less than a hundred, the total is hush hush!)
smallish cluster of web servers (about a dozen)
The rest of our stuff is CentOS, but the systems we need to scale as well harden to all hell, they get the "Hardened Gentoo" treatment.

home:
desktop is gentoo + Host OS for 4 KVM guests (web, mail, irc, vpn - all gentoo)
two laptops, both dual-boot between gentoo and Windows 7. Only ever boot into Windows 7 when I need to do something in Office that's going to be viewed by the public, as OpenOffice doesn't quite format things in a way viewable by folks on Win*, OR, when I need to use Softerra (there simply aren't any LDAP browsers out there for Linux that do as well as Softerra).

basically, I drink the kool-aid
LukynZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main and only desktop OS at my main and only PC :)
dlmalloc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VPSs for shells and Minecraft server are running Gentoo Hardened.
Laptops all exclusively use Gentoo.
Primary machine dual boots Gentoo and Win7 (gaming machine) and secondard machine runs Gentoo. Linked via Synergy.

dlmalloc@irc.freenode.net
delan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Gentoo for almost a year now, since switching from Ubuntu, my first distro. I use it on all of my computers.

my main PC: a 2009 own-built tower with an Intel Q9650, which I use as my desktop
my netbook: a Toshiba NB500 with an Atom N550, which I bought yesterday
my VPS: an OpenVZ-based server which I use to host pretty much everything, including dovecot, qmail, lighttpd, git, transmission-daemon, tor, squirrelmail and more

Because my netbook is too slow to reasonably compile large amounts of packages, I point it to use distcc on my main PC so things go a little quicker.
segmentation_fault
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried gentoo on my netbook (switch from backtrak 3) a few months ago in order to get the best from its low hardware specs. I was so impressed by its upgraded performance (never built a kernel before, and got surprized at how fast it boots and responds), that I switched my tower PC from slack too. Both machines work for music listening, watching movies, tv, browsing and some C development for my university courses. I will try (after exams period) to be able to record audio (through a tascam usb soundcard) as I am also amateur guitar player, and hope I can get it working, as gentoo hasn't let me down yet :)
Also I use a kind of "monolithic" (meaning no-modular) kernel approach; the only thing built as module is bttv for my tv card, as I don't use it much often.

Edit: in case anyone is interested in hardware specs:
Tower PC: AMD Athlon 3500+ XP (single core @2.2GHz) 1.5GB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon X1950 Pro, Kworld BT 878 TV tuner (sucks, but got it for free)
Netbook: Acer Aspire One A150L, Intel Atom N270 (single core hyper threading @1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, Intel 945 vga
ArneBab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo on my Main desktop (with KDE and kmail2)

and on an OLPC via http://gentooxo.org , adapted to use only the shell most of the time with emacs for desktop-functionality which can easily be shared between OLPC and desktop by working in Mercurial repositories (given that emacs works with text files which are perfect for distributed version tracking). I build it in a chroot (folder) and sync on a USB stick via rsync.

pkgcore: So fast that it feels unreal - by doing only what is needed.
stelth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. We use Gentoo at work as the base OS for arcade games (old school coin operated games, the kind you cram quarters into for hours).
2. My development laptop (konsole + vim + cscope + ctags)
It's also a generic work machine (email, internet, office, etc)
jcTux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main desktop built by myself for everyday use and my documents storage:
- AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor
- 4 Gio RAM
- 4 hdds (boot raid1, root raid10, home raid10)
thalcave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Gentoo on:

* home server - AMD64 hardened - for DHCP server, SQUID, file server (via SSH)
* laptop - ASUS UJ35J (3GB RAM, Intel Core i370) - ~AMD64 with Fluxbox - laptop i use it to web browsing, music, movies, etc.

I have stared use Gentoo when I couldn't uninstall consolekit from my old Debian Sid.

I made my own dependents and I love it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: