EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System) Mini How-To
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddamian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System) Mini How-To Reply with quote

Here is a rough write-up on how I installed Gentoo 1.4_rc1 on EVMS, with the exception of the root partition. If you choose so, see the EVMS Howto for instructions on how to mount your root file system on an EVMS volume. I felt the hassle of dealing with a EVMS (or LVM, for that matter) root outweighs its advantages.

This is a very basic setup I used for my laptop. I only needed it so I don't have to worry about getting the partition sizes right from the beginning and to be able to adjust them with ease in the future. I've been using LVM with success but I couldn't find a way to resize the volume group itself. This, the fact that afaik there is no support for LVM in kernel 2.5.x and a new laptop needing a fresh installation made me try EVMS.

Please post your comments and suggestions; I might have gotten it all wrong :)

1. To start, follow the Installation Instructions until Step 6 - Set up partitions.

Create your non-EVMS partitions with fdisk as instructed. Leave the EVMS dedicated space unpartitioned. I suggest you use logical partitions for EVMS. For example, here is my setup (hit "p" in fdisk) after finishing this step:

Code:

Disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 3876 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

Device    Boot Start     End     Blocks   Id       System
/dev/hda1  *      1      833     6297448   7       HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2       834      838       37800  83       Linux
/dev/hda3       839     2771    14613480   f       Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5       839      873      264568+ 83       Linux
/dev/hda6       874      908      264568+ 82       Linux Swap

/dev/hda1 is XP (6G)
/dev/hda2 will become /boot (32M)
/dev/hda5 will become / (256M)
/dev/hda6 will become swap (256M)

The remainder of the drive, ~22G is unallocated space at this point.

2. Create filesystems on partitions. For example, in my setup:

Code:

cdimage root # mke2fs /dev/hda2
cdimage root # mke2fs -j /dev/hda5

3. Create and activate swap. For example, in my setup:

Code:

cdimage root # mkswap /dev/hda6
cdimage root # swapon /dev/hda6

4. EVMS:

Launch evmsn, the ncurses EVMS utility:
Code:

cdimage root # evmsn

If you get error messages about JFS keep hitting any key until they clear. At this point you will be at the Logical Volumes View showing the partitions we created in fdisk.

Hit F4 to bring up the Disk Segments View. Here, select hda_freespace1 and hit Enter to Create a New Segment. Select DefaultSegMgr, use the spacebar to select the freespace and hit Enter again. Hit spacebar twice to enter a size for your new segment (volume). Hit Enter to finish. You will notice a new segment , hda7 in my example.

Scroll down to the newly created segment and hit Enter; select Create EVMS Volume from the segment. Enter a volume name, I used varlv to become /var.

Using F4 bring up the Logical Volumes View. Select your new volume, eg. /dev/evms/varlv, and hit Enter; select Make File System and the type of the file system. If you pick ext2, journaling is enabled by default formatting the volume as ext3. There are other options available here, including expanding or shrinking the volume.

Repeat the above steps to create and format the remaining volumes.

When you are satisfied with the results, hit F5 to commit changes and F10 to exit evmsn.

4. Go to Step 7 - Mount partitions. Proceed as normal, except that for EVMS volumes mount them as /dev/evms/<Logical Volume name> instead of /dev/hdx.

5. Continue with the installation to Step 14 - Final steps: kernel and system logger. I used linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r9. Make sure you enable EVMS compiled into the kernel.

6. On to Step 15 - Final steps: install additional packages.
Code:

cdimage root # emerge --usepkg sys-apps/evms

This has the slight side effect of emerging X so be prepared for this to take forever and then some.

7. At Step 16 - Final steps:/etc/fstab edit it as usual but be sure to mount the EVMS volumes as /dev/evms/<Logical Volume name> instead of /dev/hdx.

8. Proceed with the rest of the installation as described in the installation guide.

After rebooting you should be able to see and access the EVMS volumes just like you would a regular volume.
ledskof
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried out using evms to do a Gento install...

I used evms to do all of the partition configuration, file system assignment, format, etc. The only work I did on the drives at the command line was mounting the partitions.

worked like a charm.
And you don't have to emerge evms to boot it up.

So unless you just truly want to emerge X before your first boot... skip the evms emerge part...

Led
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
derelm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to use evms2, is it the same route then?
i want to move my existing installation to evms2, has somebody experience with that?
btw: what kernel options do i need to use evms2?

in fact, will i have to patch the gentoo-sources?
thanks in advance
derelm
ledskof
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the Gentoo livecd doesn't have evms 2.0 on it yet.

so it's not an option yet.

I'm going to rebuild my Gentoo server at work over with EVMS to teach some folks about it, and then I'll experiment with evms 2.0... ill let you know how it goes ;)
derelm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

argh, i just noticed, that even kernels may have use flags - so having evms2 in your use flags patches it the way i want it!
really smooth!

edit:

argh - pitty it doesn't compile :(
msan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better to create a container on the remaining disk space and inside the container create stoprage region that convert in evms volumes.
leon_73
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derelm wrote:
if you want to use evms2, is it the same route then?
i want to move my existing installation to evms2, has somebody experience with that?
btw: what kernel options do i need to use evms2?

in fact, will i have to patch the gentoo-sources?
thanks in advance
derelm

Just don't forget to set
Code:
USE="evms2"
as I did, or you gonna loose a lot of time ;-)

Leo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to point out that the X dependency for sys-apps/evms is introduced by the gtk flag (for the gtk-based GUI front-end) and one can avoid it simply by typing:
Code:
USE="-gtk" emerge evms

You'll still get the ncurses one ;-)
nbrown
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add a note for those of you that are using /usr, /var partitions under EVMS2. I initially ran into an error getting the partitions active after i had run
Code:
rc-update add evms boot

The reason for this is that there is a dependency issue in checkfs. For more details see Bug 24064. This issue is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming baselayout, but till then, here's the link to the patch:
Patch
smouge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small note:

The first time I tried EVMS (not EVMS2) I could not add any new segments.

Reason: I had only two partitions before (boot & swap) before starting the EVMS partitions.

With the fourth it went wrong. Most probably because of the needed transition to extended partitions.

Therefore make sure you already on the extended partitions when adding the EVMS partitions.

After this it worked like a charm.
cybrjackle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work on the 1.4 cd??

When I first fired it up, It wouldn't activate so I

insmod evms

Ok, started up, but

"No Logical Volumes found."

Doesn't see anything.
cybrjackle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cd /lib/modules/2.4.21-gss/kernel/drivers/evms

insmod <all of them>

Now I'm getting some were
CaptainPuppydog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to note when doing the partitioning at the start. If you create an evms segment, and it will be the fourth on the list (i.e. you are following the gentoo docs and create hda1 as /boot, hda2 as swap and hda3 as '/'), you need to make sure that you set the first evms segment as non-primary (same screen as just before you type the size (in MB) of the evms segment, just set 'Primary=False' by cursoring down to the line and hitting <space>). Otherwise the remaining disk will be unavailable. :(

Also, use the DOSsegmentmanager (or whatever it is). The GRCblahblah doesn't seem to want to play.

cpd. ([tale_of_woe]who is reinstalling after typing pvcreate /dev/hda3 instead of pvcreate /dev/hda4 after gentoo not seeing lvm stuff on reboot after spending the last 2 days watching it install everyting nicely so he decides to go with evms... [/tale_of_woe] ;) )
CaptainPuppydog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msan wrote:
It's better to create a container on the remaining disk space and inside the container create stoprage region that convert in evms volumes.

I'll second this.. doing it as the first post says creates multiple partitions on the drive (one per segment) which is not optimal... Creating the container and then creating regions inside that container for each volume keeps everything in one partition (the container) and enables things like software raid. :)

cpd
cybrjackle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainPuppydog wrote:
One thing to note when doing the partitioning at the start. If you create an evms segment, and it will be the fourth on the list (i.e. you are following the gentoo docs and create hda1 as /boot, hda2 as swap and hda3 as '/'), you need to make sure that you set the first evms segment as non-primary (same screen as just before you type the size (in MB) of the evms segment, just set 'Primary=False' by cursoring down to the line and hitting <space>). Otherwise the remaining disk will be unavailable. :(

Also, use the DOSsegmentmanager (or whatever it is). The GRCblahblah doesn't seem to want to play.

cpd. ([tale_of_woe]who is reinstalling after typing pvcreate /dev/hda3 instead of pvcreate /dev/hda4 after gentoo not seeing lvm stuff on reboot after spending the last 2 days watching it install everyting nicely so he decides to go with evms... [/tale_of_woe] ;) )

So are you saying if i was following the Gentoo x86 install guide I would have the following:

hda1 /boot "primary"
hda2 swap "primary"
hda3 / "primary"
hda4 extend
hda5 EVMS <is that left as a "linux" type?

Or do I have that wrong?

With LVM I had

hda1 /boot "primary"
hda2 / "primary"
hda3 LVM "primary"
hdb1 LVM "primary"

With 1.4 and evms, how would you suggest my drive looks in fdisk.

thx,

p.s. I have to redo my system anyway because a little hose up with lvm2 ;(

Oh well, I see a new build coming with evms.
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
One question please:
any one could tell me why use EVMS and not LVM?
Thanks

MACPRO machine...
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System) Mini How-To Reply with quote

oddamian wrote:
...This, the fact that afaik there is no support for LVM in kernel 2.5.x and a new laptop needing a fresh installation made me try EVMS.

2.6 kernel has support for LVM.
Read this

MACPRO machine...
cybrjackle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybrjackle wrote:
CaptainPuppydog wrote:

So are you saying if i was following the Gentoo x86 install guide I would have the following:

hda1 /boot "primary"
hda2 swap "primary"
hda3 / "primary"
hda4 extend
hda5 EVMS <is that left as a "linux" type?

Or do I have that wrong?

With LVM I had

hda1 /boot "primary"
hda2 / "primary"
hda3 LVM "primary"
hdb1 LVM "primary"

With 1.4 and evms, how would you suggest my drive looks in fdisk.

thx,

p.s. I have to redo my system anyway because a little hose up with lvm2 ;(

Oh well, I see a new build coming with evms.

I think I have this wrong, if I'm going to use EVMS would I just leave what I want under evms "blank"? Under fdisk, just leave it as free space and not create "primary" or "logical" slice for it?

thx.
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm going to add my 2 bits to this guide.

Overall it was good except for trying to figure out where EVMS was being ran from in point #4. Was this a previous Gentoo install with EVMS support or a LiveCD or ??? In my case I installed a bare bones Gentoo with EVMS and a 2.6 kernel in a 10GB space on my first hard drive, setup my EVMS volumes on my main(2nd) hard drive, started installing on my main hard drive.

I heard that the experimental 2.6 kernel LiveCD has EVMS2 but only barebones support(correct Me if I'm wrong).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: