Building Bitcoin
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Building Bitcoin Reply with quote

I try running Bitcoin under fluxbox and no gui shows, it does show under KDE, but I don't want to use KDE.
So, I figure I just have to build it as there must be an underlying library incompatibility.
For the life of me, it can't be that hard, but it is.
Firstly, I removed 'bindist' from my use flags so that -ec becomes a configure enabled option when building openssl, this enables the finding an include file in openssl.
Then, I find that I need to add a symlink in /usr/include/db_cxx.h to /usr/include/db4.8/db_cxx.h - in much the same manner as /usr/include/db.h has done so I can find the db_cxx.h file. Where is the right place to look for the file? Should this symlink exist? It strikes me that it should, in which case it's a defect in the sys-libs/db ebuild.
Then, I start getting conflicting types in default arguments and no matching function for call to
Code:
'std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(const wxString&)'

Surely, gentoo is a source based system and has been working for me for years. Is it that bitcoin is coded so badly or that gentoo is so un-standard?

Anyone managed to compile bitcoin on Gentoo? If so, I would love to know how you did it. Better yet, an ebuild.

I am running an up to date system, pretty much standard x86 with an occasional program in the ~x86 tree.

Last edited by lyallp on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From some people in the bitcoin irc channel, I've previously been told that the main dev is a windows developer, and that the linux build is indeed fairly crappy. This may not have been true at all, or have changed since. Anyway, I have managed to build it without much trouble before, however, this was against a 4.7 version of db, you might want to try that.

I'm also fairly certain that there's an ebuild posted on the forum somewhere, from around a year back or so. Might be worth finding that thread :)
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There also seems to be this java-version in early development: http://code.google.com/p/bitcoinj/
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found Bug 328391 which has an ebuild and custom makefile mentioned in it.
Had to unmask wxGTK and the GUI is not enabled by default.
Seem to be missing the init.d and conf files but seems to work as a GUI client.
step
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get it even compiling?
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on some fixes now…

It seems the problem is two-fold.

Firstly, wxStrings do not play nice with std::strings and C strings… there are no assignment operators, no cast operators, and no constructors to permit conversion between wxStrings and other types.

Secondly, the authors appear to have neglected this fact, and didn't bother to read the documentation when it said to use wxT to translate string literals. Evidently they are probably working with a non-Unicode build of wxWidgets.

So they blindly try to cast wxStrings as std::strings, assign const char* pointers to wxStrings, and other ridiculous combinations. Maybe it JustWorked for them, but it doesn't do anything of a sort here.

http://git.longlandclan.yi.org/?p=for-upstream/bitcoin.git;a=shortlog;h=compilefixes has some fixes that I'm working on. You can pull the code at git://git.longlandclan.yi.org/for-upstream/bitcoin.git — look in the compilefixes branch. When I collect enough together, I plan to submit this to the Bitcoin developers for them to fix their sources.

Ugh… actually, just had a closer look… that project is rife with global variables, random functions… it's a mess. I've put it aside for now, might be easier to begin afresh and write a clone.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
neofutur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then, I find that I need to add a symlink in /usr/include/db_cxx.h to /usr/include/db4.8/db_cxx.h

I also had this problem, fixed with the symlink, we really need to know if the problem is from the ebuild of from the bitcoind source.
Krellan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neofutur wrote:
Quote:
Then, I find that I need to add a symlink in /usr/include/db_cxx.h to /usr/include/db4.8/db_cxx.h

I also had this problem, fixed with the symlink, we really need to know if the problem is from the ebuild of from the bitcoind source.

Sorry to join in the necropost, but I also found a workaround. This is based on a clean download of bitcoin-0.8.3 from the upstream sources (either on Sourceforge or Github).

Edit the Makefile (autogenerated by "qmake", in your toplevel bitcoin directory).

Search for the line that starts with "INCPATH".

Add this additional directory to the end of the (very long) line: -I/usr/include/db4.8

This seems to work! It is not necessary to make the symlink. After much compilation, I now have a shiny new "bitcoin-qt" executable in that directory.

If it works for you, test your client by donating to 153qr2XRxcsJUdwtdyTHeXNUW9ffpUzU4M :)

Josh
Polyatomic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krellan wrote:
neofutur wrote:
Quote:

Sorry to join in the necropost, but I also found a workaround. This is based on a clean download of bitcoin-0.8.3 from the upstream sources (either on Sourceforge or Github).

Edit the Makefile (autogenerated by "qmake", in your toplevel bitcoin directory).

Search for the line that starts with "INCPATH".

Add this additional directory to the end of the (very long) line: -I/usr/include/db4.8

This seems to work! It is not necessary to make the symlink. After much compilation, I now have a shiny new "bitcoin-qt" executable in that directory.

If it works for you, test your client by donating to 153qr2XRxcsJUdwtdyTHeXNUW9ffpUzU4M :)

Josh

How you going man, still running bitcoind on Gentoo?. Did you compile boost and berkeley db4.8 from source also ? I can see there is a overlay but I would like to try and build it myself o,0
Krellan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyatomic wrote:

How you going man, still running bitcoind on Gentoo?. Did you compile boost and berkeley db4.8 from source also ? I can see there is a overlay but I would like to try and build it myself o,0

Yes, I'm still running bitcoind on Gentoo.

It's became substantially easier now.

Reason is, the Bitcoin build system completely changed, with the 0.9 release. It now uses more of a traditional build system, with configure scripts, instead of hardcoding many things on its own. You no longer need to change as much.

Since then, I've been able to build the Bitcoin source tree "out of the box", without having to make any changes at all! It just works.

I recommend against using the Gentoo overlay. When I last checked, it was substantially out of date, with respect to the upstream sources. Not only is it a public-facing network daemon, it's *money* as well, so it's doubly important to keep up with all updates, for security's sake!

I compile Bitcoin directly from my local GitHub clone directory, and it works fine for me. You can still test it by donating to 153qr2XRxcsJUdwtdyTHeXNUW9ffpUzU4M :)

Josh
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krellan wrote:
You can still test it by donating to 153qr2XRxcsJUdwtdyTHeXNUW9ffpUzU4M :)

Lul.
Polyatomic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Krellan wrote:

Lul.

No need to, thats what testnet is for..

Here you go anyway:
Txid
Code:
d36dc5836adc5059944478ea92195c2e36fa2129fd6f208a6dde92e34ba14af3
Krellan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyatomic wrote:
steveL wrote:
Krellan wrote:

Lul.

No need to, thats what testnet is for..

Here you go anyway:
Txid
Code:
d36dc5836adc5059944478ea92195c2e36fa2129fd6f208a6dde92e34ba14af3

Nice, thanks, it worked :)

Josh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: