Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Building Gentoo with GCC 3.1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
temperanza

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Building Gentoo with GCC 3.1 Reply with quote

Is this possible yet? If so, could anyone give me a rundown of what commands I'll need to execute instead of "emerge bootstrap"? Thanks! ^_^
lasse

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time trying this over the weekend. I decided to start from scratch and try to build a gcc-3.1 ext3-based system next to the Gentoo xfs-system I'm currently using.

Basically, I did exactly what I would have done to build a gcc3 system as discussed elsewhere previously except for making sure gcc-3.1 was used instead of gcc-3.0.4.

This is what I did:

1) Created new partitions (/boot, /, /var).
2) Booted off the Gentoo CD and followed the instructions up to the actual bootstrap. Since I have a low-bandwidth connection I mounted another volume where I already had the entire portage tree.
3) Replicated the default-1.0-gcc3 profile in /usr/portage/profiles and called it default-1.0-gcc3_1.
4) Unmasked gcc-3.1 and changed the packages file in the profile to point to gcc-3.1.
5) Changed my USE flags in /etc/make.conf to be suitable:
Code:
C[XX]FLAGS = -march=i686 -O3 -pipe

6) Changed /etc/make.profile to point to the gcc-3.1 profile.
7) Emerged gcc. This built gcc-3.1 very nicely. I could have done a bootstrap here but then I'd have to bootstrap again to recompile gcc and libs with athlon optmization flags. Emerging gcc so that 3.1 is used for the "live" bootstrapping should save a bit of time compared to bootstrapping twice.
8) Changed the compiler flags:
Code:
C[XX]FLAGS = -march=athlon-xp -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmx -O3 -pipe

9) Did the bootstrap:
Code:
cd /usr/portage
scripts/bootstrap.sh

Things chugged along nicely for a while but then the build failed whilst rebuilding glibc (can't remember the exact details but it was quite early on in the (rather large) build and was caused by a broken pipe).

Subsequently tried again a few times with different compiler flags (including keeping the first set of compiler flags the same all throughout and lowering optimization to -O2) but the build consistently failed at the same place.

I didn't really expect this to work but decided to have a go anyway since my current system has some, ahrrrrm, peculiarities that I can't seem to fix.

Anybody else having had any better luck?

/Lasse

Note: Apparently, the sse-flags I used are not a good choice as they change the ABI.
Spider

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: it works with i686 Reply with quote

Okay, to get this working, simply use i686 options for now, I'm not sure exactly where this bug is, but its somewhere (informing, ain't I?)

For more info on this, please followup in gentoo-dev@gentoo.org

//Spider at gentoo dot org
Klavs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem you mention, is that probably the one mentioned here:

http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:OgbxGW_Vtj0C:gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.1/issues.html+gcc+3.1+compiling+glibc+problems+x86&hl=en

(search for glibc in text - first hit)

If so, that would probably mean that if one downloaded the CVS version for gcc-3.1 or waited
until the next third-level gcc was released it would work, with a super-optimized glibc?

If any of you try it, please do tell :-)

Klavs Klavsen
Denmark

Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
who is carrying a .38.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCC3 to Other Things Gentoo.
intoxicated
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
GCC3 to Other Things Gentoo.
Is the thread still relevant? The last reply in this thread was posted when the GCC3.1-based versions of Gentoo weren't released yet :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: