emerge sync freezes *every* time
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: emerge sync freezes *every* time Reply with quote

Hello, n00bie question here so I apologize in advance if I'm vague or plain ignorant.

Ok, I've installed gentoo successfully, and I try to "emerge sync" to update my portage tree. It contacts the rsync mirror, gets the file list correctly (I think about 67000 files or something?), and then, at some point, freezes. Sometimes it's at one point, sometimes another, although always soon (generally somewhere on app-admin).

I've tried searching the forums and applying the solutions I found: I've deleted my portage tree, so that "emerge sync" created it anew, still the same problem. I've tried using another kernel (gs-sources instead of gentoo-sources), still the same.

Any tips? If you need more specific information please tell me and I will post again.

Thanks in advance,
Pedro
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've been reading through some posts of people who had the same problem as me. Some of them it seems were able to fix it by syncying with specific mirrors (don't ask me why) and after the portage tree was correctly updated, they didn't have the problem again.

I've noticed that, when I "emerge sync" sometimes it does it to one mirror and sometimes another, even though my /etc/make.globals only lists one SYNC mirror. So my question is, how do I specify -which- SYNC mirror to use, instead of letting portage determine it itself? It seems I can't just put SYNC="the.mirror.i.want.to.use" on /etc/make.conf because that would download the whole mirror, so... what can I do? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after figuring out how to select a mirror with mirrorselect -r -i, I tried all mirrors on the list. The one people mentioned in other posts as solving their problem (some mirror in Sapporo, Japan) wasn't on the list, but I tried all the rest.

In all of them, I get to #n files to consider...Then I see the first, like app-admin/, and after processing a few (anywhere from 1 to 10 depending on the mirror), it freezes.

Any ideas?
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: SOLVED Reply with quote

Ok, the problem is solved - I post just in case anyone has the same problem as me.

I'm using the eciadsl drivers for Globespan ADSL modems. The documentation for it says you need UHCI and UHCI-alt support in the kernel - that isn't necessarily correct. After asking for help on the hardware forum, I recompiled the kernel with only UHCI support, and everything now works correctly. So if this also happens to you, check just in case...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: