Rsync mirror basic question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Rsync mirror basic question Reply with quote

Just a simple, perhaps basic question. What rsync command is the best for synchronizing the Gentoo distribution files on a local private mirror?

Let me explain. I have one Gentoo box acting as a "central Gentoo mirror" This one has IP address 10.0.0.200 (i'm exploring LAN name resolution, so I must use IP addresses for the moment).

I have set up a separate partition for holding all the Gentoo distribution files, although that is not required; I just find it convenient from an administrator's viewpoint. Since all I want is to distribute updates to local clients (installation is done from LiveCDs) I only mirror "distfiles" and "snapshots" from the source mirror, as suggested by the official guide http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/source_mirrors.xml.

I also chose to set this mirror up both as an rsync- and FTP-server (not HTTP). For the rsync part I follow Grimthorn's guidelines (see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=59134), for FTP I've setup vsftpd and xinetd. So I've now edited all client's /etc/make.conf to contain the following extra lines:

Code:
SYNC="rsync://10.0.0.200/gentoo-portage"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://10.0.0.200/gentoo"

For the server itself, I use a slghtly different form, as a prelude to name resolution which I still want to implement om my LAN later (I've already read some threads about this, but any help would still be welcome...)
Code:
SYNC="rsync://localhost/gentoo-portage"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://localhost/gentoo"

After some experimentation I now use the following rync commands, where /mnt/rsync/gentoorsyncmirror/ points to my local mirror:
Code:
time rsync --update --verbose --recursive --stats --progress www.ibiblio.org::gentoo/distfiles /mnt/rsync/gentoorsyncmirror/gentoo
for the packages, following the official guide,
Code:
time rsync --update --verbose --recursive --stats --progress ftp.snt.utwente.nl::gentoo-portage /mnt/rsync/gentoorsyncmirror/gentoo-portage
for the Portage tree (since ibiblio.org does not mirror the Portage tree I chose the closest mirror), and
Code:
time rsync --update --verbose --recursive --stats --progress www.ibiblio.org::gentoo/snapshots /mnt/rsync/gentoorsyncmirror/gentoo
for the Portage tree snapshots, although I'm not sure why I would need them. Any suggestions for improvement?

Sorry about using the long form of command switches but since it's automated I prefer that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: