View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StinGer_Uesugi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Milky Way > Solar System > Earth > France > Paris > Home

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: [sys-libs/pam] unix_chkpwd[XXXX]: check pass; user unknown Reply with quote

Heya there !

I have just finished to install Gentoo at work and I've been struggling with a pam authentication issue for 2 or 3 hours now.

So here is the problem.
Firstly, any time I wanted to run a kdesu command, it failed complaining about the root password being false. But it was not. Then, I could not unlock my KDE session I had locked. So I looked whether it was pam related or KDE related. I tried a passwd command: my current password was not recognised. Bingo ! That was a pam issue. So I opened /var/log/secure and here, I found lines looking this way :
Code:
2011-04-08T17:03:19.089842+02:00 HOSTXYZ unix_chkpwd[nnnn]: check pass; user unknown
2011-04-08T17:03:23.008088+02:00 HOSTXYZ unix_chkpwd[nnnn]: check pass; user unknown
2011-04-08T17:03:23.008113+02:00 HOSTXYZ unix_chkpwd[nnnn]: password check failed for user (mylogin)
2011-04-08T17:03:23.008340+02:00 HOSTXYZ passwd[nnnn]: pam_unix(passwd:chauthtok): authentication failure; logname=mylogin uid=1000 euid=1000 tty= ruser= rhost=  user=mylogin

I took a look around to check files in /etc/pam.d and chmods on /etc/group, /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. Everything was right. In the end, I looked at /sbin/unix_chkpwd : it was 0711. I chmoded it u+s and... IT WORKED ! All my problems are gone !

Following are (probably) interesting info :
/etc/gentoo-release: Gentoo Base System release 1.12.14
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources: 2.6.36-r8
sys-libs/pam: 1.1.3

From that story, I have two questions. Firstly, did I do well to solve the issue ? Or should I leave unix_chkpwd 0711 ? But then, what should I do to solve the problem ? Secondly, has anyone had that same trouble ? Is that a real bug ? Or is it specific to my install ? (In other words, should I fill a bug report ?)

Thanks for your replies.

Gentoo ROCKS !
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: