Memory Tester Burnin Utility
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordicbeast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Memory Tester Burnin Utility Reply with quote

After a fun 12 hours of trying to figure out why my brand spanking new K8W was constantly getting kernel oopses and page faults and causing small fires up to 5 miles away, I got tired of swapping PCI cards, and decided to test my memory. Gentoo memory test didn't show anything, so I got the Microsoft memory tester. Lo and behold, I had a faulty dimm.

So, if any of you are running into strange errors, like unexplained kernel crashes, or your SCSI card mapping its memory to 0x0000, or other wacky problems that just should NOT happen, and gentoo memtest says all is well, try out the microsoft memory test utility:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

(and hit the 'Download Windows Memory Diagnostic' link)
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows only?

Too bad. Most of us here wont be able to use it. Good find though.
Elm0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about memtest86?

emerge memtest86

Apparently memory manafacturers use this to test modules that are returned to them for defects. I've used it succesfully to detect faulty memory from crucial twice now. Just mentioning memtest86 in your email to them seems to dispel any arguments about the nature of the fault in your PC.
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you refer to the 'gentoo memtest' that didn't find the RAM problem, do you mean memtest86?

If not, I can add here that I've gotten reliable results from memtest86 on many occasions. Its boot disk can be made from *nix or Windows.
nordicbeast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris27 wrote:
Windows only?

Too bad. Most of us here wont be able to use it. Good find though.

That's the great thing, it isn't for windows. It makes a boot disk for you and runs off that. Ofcourse, you need a win machine to put the image on a floppy.
nordicbeast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozonator wrote:
When you refer to the 'gentoo memtest' that didn't find the RAM problem, do you mean memtest86?

If not, I can add here that I've gotten reliable results from memtest86 on many occasions. Its boot disk can be made from *nix or Windows.

Don't know if that is memtest86 or not. I used whichever one is run when 'gentoo memtest' is used at boot.
nordicbeast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elm0 wrote:
Are you talking about memtest86?

emerge memtest86

Apparently memory manafacturers use this to test modules that are returned to them for defects. I've used it succesfully to detect faulty memory from crucial twice now. Just mentioning memtest86 in your email to them seems to dispel any arguments about the nature of the fault in your PC.

Yeah, I thought it was strange too that it didn't find anything even though the Microsoft one did. In all honesty, it was 5:30 am and I had been up for... well, for a while. Perhaps I tested the same stick twice instead of testing the bad one.
RJW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with memtest86 you can even create a file containing the currupt bits from your memory bank.
Then you apply a kernel patch which uses that file to exclude it from use by your system/kernel
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memtest86 has always worked for me, you have to make sure your system is running at full temp though.
the_highhat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Memory Tester Burnin Utility Reply with quote

This is O/T but I could use some advice.... I just picked up a Thunder K8W, but i cannot get gentoo installed... Problem seems to be with the sata raid controller (Silicon Image 3114, aka 6514).

Please tell me how you got this to work...

Are you using sata drives?

What kernel?

Building as x86-64 (amd64) or no?

Many thanx...

nordicbeast wrote:
After a fun 12 hours of trying to figure out why my brand spanking new K8W was constantly getting kernel oopses and page faults and causing small fires up to 5 miles away, I got tired of swapping PCI cards, and decided to test my memory. Gentoo memory test didn't show anything, so I got the Microsoft memory tester. Lo and behold, I had a faulty dimm.

So, if any of you are running into strange errors, like unexplained kernel crashes, or your SCSI card mapping its memory to 0x0000, or other wacky problems that just should NOT happen, and gentoo memtest says all is well, try out the microsoft memory test utility:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

(and hit the 'Download Windows Memory Diagnostic' link)
nordicbeast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory Tester Burnin Utility Reply with quote

the_highhat wrote:
This is O/T but I could use some advice.... I just picked up a Thunder K8W, but i cannot get gentoo installed... Problem seems to be with the sata raid controller (Silicon Image 3114, aka 6514).

Please tell me how you got this to work...

I'm afraid I'm using an lsi raid card, not the SATA stuff.

Good luck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: