View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Watchmaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice will not run. Ever. Reply with quote

I've got Gentoo on my laptop, stage1 install with the following optimizations.

Code:
-O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -malign-functions=4

I also have USE="-gnome"

System has whatever gtk libs are dependencies for vim, xchat and gimp without gnome support.

I also have no printing support. I rarely, if ever, print.

With OpenOffice 641d (I still can't connect to the mirrors to grab 1.0) I get the following errors.

If I install regularly as a user into ~/OpenOffice and then run soffice, the splash screen appears, and the system pops a dialog up asking to sync my address book. I don't have one, so I hit cancel. The OpenOffice window then proceeds to hang, hard. The only way to get the window off the screen is a kill -9 in an xterm.

If I install with setup -net and then run the setup as my user to install just the stub in my home dir, the system complains it can't find /usr/local/openoffice641d, even though the dir is there.

I've tried the "run it as root first" trick as well.

Anyone ever experienced this?

Oh, and for the record, it did the EXACT same thing on the Redhat 7.2 installation that was on the laptop before I did Gentoo.
chip_s_ahoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: I have something for you to try!!! Reply with quote

I do have one improvement for you: I use "xkill", and click on the OpenOffice window when mine hangs exactly the same way. So much more convenient...

I really wanted OpenOffice to work, I have to work Word files often.
salimma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Video chipset? Reply with quote

I had problems on my old computer with onboard S3 Savage video chipset. For the life of me I could not remember how I managed to solve it ... it was worse than yours, it would crash during installation.

Regards,
Flake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you had to set an envirionment variable (also can't remember which one)

i also want tot try openoffice, but it is just too slow on a PII 350 , 64 mb ram. :cry:

why does word open in 5 seconds, and openoffice in 1 minute or so??
salimma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reason for slowness Reply with quote

.. non-standard toolkits. If OpenOffice was built on top of, say, Gtk+ or Qt+, that is shared with the rest of the system, performance would be much more bearable.

Note that the first time you load OO it will have to load all its libraries, whereas some libraries used by MS Office would already be in memory (to a lesser extent than the case with IE).

There are solutions for these - mozilla's turbo mode, galeon's server mode, and this applet for GNOME that preloads OO libs.

HTH,
Jamon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Well.. Reply with quote

I am having no real problem with it, though I am running 1.0 currently. (I was running 641 previous to this). I like to install with the /net switch into /opt, that way my users can each get their own profile and all run it. Even though I only run it with one user at a time (it's my desktop), I like to be able to have my root user with a clean profile to help me with troubleshooting. Anyhow, you may want to try the network install, as I have had much luck with it.

Jamon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: