mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabscic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically Reply with quote

Hail, good friends! I find myself in quite an uncomfortable situation here. Maybe it is something that will eventually plague my system, maybe it is just time-consuming paranoia in my head. Anyway, I am currently trying to install Gentoo using the minimal install ISO 'install-x86-minimal-20110308.iso', which I've downloaded just a few hours ago. I am currently loading the default gentoo kernel without any kernel parameters to start the live media. Right before the live media gives me the final prompt for the loaded system, I get the following message:

* Starting up RAID devices ... [!!!] -> ## these exclamations are in red
mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically

Indeed, no arrays should be found because I do NOT have any RAID configuration on my machine and I do NOT intend to configure any. I only have a single SATA 250 GB HD which I mean to use in a simple configuration, no RAID system set. The thing is, that message is quite annoying since it seems like some sort of initialization error to me, which it shouldn't be since I do not have RAID set up. So, what I am searching for is a way to tell the kernel it shouldn't bother looking for RAID devices. I've tried the parameter 'nodmraid', but the message still kicks in. In my searches through the net and forums I did find people getting the same message, but these people actually had some sort of RAID configuration on their machines. Any ideas as to how I can tell the system it shouldn't look for RAID configurations? Or should I forget about this message for now and keep up with my Gentoo installation? I just do not want my final (installed) system doing unnecessary work like that, if it is unnecessary at all. Thanks in advance.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go ahead with how it is right now. The installation media is configured to support as much as possible by default, so some extra messages like that aren't unlikely.

If it is still like that in your final system install, there is probably an init script you can turn off to disable it.
Raptor85
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can safely ignore that, the disk has raid support and it's just warning you that you have support but it didn't find any cards, when you install if you don't install RAID drivers and don't set any init script for it you won't have that.
gabscic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the answers and the enlightenment on the matter at hand. I'll keep up with my installation for now.
ghutzl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue on my installed system. I am actually using raid but the kernel seems to have configured that already before the init script has been run. I found the solution here:

http://forum.soft32.com/linux/gentoo-mdadm-arrays-found-config-file-ftopict332641.html

Just remove "raid" from this line in /etc/conf.d/rc:

Code:
RC_VOLUME_ORDER="raid evms lvm dm"

and the message will be gone.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: