[SOLVED] Qemu-kvm tap NIC error: SIOCSIFFLAGS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stonic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Qemu-kvm tap NIC error: SIOCSIFFLAGS Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a gentoo X86_64 host running qemu-kvm(0.13.0-r2). I am having difficulties getting a TAP interface on a gentoo guest to work.

I created a tap adapter for my guest VM, a network bridge on the host bridging eth1(LAN) and guest-tap adapter. I load up gentoo-amd64 live CD on the guest VM, eth0 is recognized on the guest and the correct network card is seen (using lspci). When I try to assign an IP address to the guest, it throws the SIOCSIFFLAGS: cannot assign requested address error and will not let me bring the nic up.

On the host I did the following:

Code:
brctl addbr br0
ifconfig br0 10.12.27.254/24 up

tunctl -b -u vxhost -t vxtap0

brctl addif br0 vxtap0
brctl addif br0 eth1

At this point I haven't done anything with the firewall, however.

eth1 looks like:
Code:
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 4e:a6:a6:c7:70:b9
          inet addr:10.12.27.1  Bcast:10.12.27.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

I run the VM as vxhost:

Code:
kvm -hda /dev/vx1/gentoo1 -vnc :1 -m 512 -net nic,macaddr=27:01:27:27:27:01 -net tap,ifname=vxtap0,script=no,downscript=no -smp 4 -cpu host -cdrom iso/install-amd64-minimal-20101118.iso -boot d

once the vm boots, I can see eth0 while running ifconfig -a (or ifconfig eth0 of course) but I can never bring it up with any address.

ex: ifconfig eth0 inet 10.12.27.15 netmask 255.255.255.0

Does anyone have any clue as to why this doesn't work? I have tried using many different NIC types as well with the same result. I also tried running the VM as root in case it needed access to a root node - same thing.

Last edited by Stonic on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out. It was the stupid MAC address I assigned to it - I don't really understand what's an acceptable MAC however. I just followed the KVM convention and changed the first 2 hex to 52:54 instead. Sheesh!!
nileshgr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonic wrote:
I figured it out. It was the stupid MAC address I assigned to it - I don't really understand what's an acceptable MAC however. I just followed the KVM convention and changed the first 2 hex to 52:54 instead. Sheesh!!

Bumping a rather old topic. Where did you find this information?!?!?! I have been digging on why my VMs won't get network and this solved it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: