No more rc-vanilla-sources?[YEP - use git-sources instead]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: No more rc-vanilla-sources?[YEP - use git-sources instead] Reply with quote

I think there was an announcement after Dec 7, 2010 which I must have missed. I can't find any mention on the gentoo home page, in the forums nor in gentoo bugzilla. Of course, that could be because of the search terms I chose. But ...

I guess there will no longer be any vanilla-sources release candidates because all the /usr/portage/sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.##_r# release candidate packages have gone 'poof'. The last one I installed dates from Dec 7, 2010 and is 'vanilla-sources-2.6.37_r4'.

I'm guessing I'm supposed to be using 'git-sources'. But without a little more info, I'm not sure what's happening here nor do I understand the significance of the multiple versions {-r1, -r2 .. -rn}.

Could someone please point me to the announcement or explain what I need to know?

I'm actively using the 'btrfs' file system on 3 of my PCs in different configurations and I've been keeping more or less up-to-date with btrfs changes by installing the vanilla-sources release candidates to test with.

Thanks!

Last edited by dufeu on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my understanding, git-sources are just snapshots from Linus' Git tree (if they are tested, is another matter)
The normal release cycle has a 2 week merge window, followed weekly rc releases untill it stable enough for a next full release.
between those rc releases are daily git-snapshots, which are - to my knowledge - just numbered -r1... -rX in gentoo.

I agree, the removal of the rc-vanilla-source is an inconvenience/annoyance, but from a developers/maintainers point of view, it reduces the number of service calls/bug reports.

HTH
V.
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veldrin wrote:
To my understanding, git-sources are just snapshots from Linus' Git tree (if they are tested, is another matter)
The normal release cycle has a 2 week merge window, followed weekly rc releases untill it stable enough for a next full release.
between those rc releases are daily git-snapshots, which are - to my knowledge - just numbered -r1... -rX in gentoo.

I agree, the removal of the rc-vanilla-source is an inconvenience/annoyance, but from a developers/maintainers point of view, it reduces the number of service calls/bug reports.

HTH
V.

I have no problem with the removal of the rc-vanilla-sources. I was usually masking the release candidates anyway until I actually wanted one.

If git-sources without the -r# are the same as the original rc-vanilla-sources, then this definitely works for me and is actually easier for me to use. I'll just have to mask out the -r# one time.

Except .. I'm not sure how to write the mask for this ...
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like, due to the way the portage 'atom' syntax works, I'll need to adjust /etc/portage/package.mask with something like:
Code:
>sys-kernel/git-sources-2.6.37_rc7
<sys-kernel/git-sources-2.6.37_rc7

I had wanted to do something like
Code:
!=sys-kernel/git-sources-2.6*-r*
but that's not correct syntax. i.e. I wanted to let portage update git-sources with the base line release candidates but alway exclude the daily snapshots.

{sigh}

If someone knows of a better way to achieve this, please feel free to let me/us know!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: