View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaplej
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: update old system to 10.0 or 2008.1 Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a gentoo server I have been left with to manage. It has not been updated in like 4-6 years. I ran emerge-webrsync and broke portage. I was able to get it fixed by downloading the precompiled version of python 2.6.5-r3, bash 4.1_p7 and portage 2.1.9.24 as described here.
http://blog.jolexa.net/2009/03/25/gentoo-tips-to-upgrade-your-really-old-installation/

I still was not able to get emerge to work correctly.
gcc-config -l shows
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4 *

I have tried to force GCC to reinstall with emerge to resolve a lot of circular dependencies with glibc and gcc but it keeps failing.
Code:
FEATURES=-sandbox emerge --nodeps gcc

Code:
* ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-4.4.4-r2 failed:
 *   failed to run configure
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line   56:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 4955:  Called toolchain_src_compile
 *   environment, line 5550:  Called gcc_src_compile
 *   environment, line 3101:  Called gcc_do_configure
 *   environment, line 2813:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       "${S}"/configure "$@" || die "failed to run configure";
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =sys-devel/gcc-4.4.4-r2',
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =sys-devel/gcc-4.4.4-r2'.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.4-r2/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.4-r2/temp/environment'.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.4-r2/work/gcc-4.4.4'

Here is the output from "emerge --info" too. One thing I do notice is after manually updating glibc it still shows the older version here.

Code:

Portage 2.1.9.24 (default/linux/x86/10.0, gcc-4.4.4, glibc-2.3.4.20041102-r1, 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r6-i686-Intel-R-_Xeon-R-_CPU____________5130__@_2.00GHz-with-gentoo-1.4.16
Timestamp of tree: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 01:45:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:     3.1_p16::<unknown repository>
dev-lang/python:     2.3.4-r1::<unknown repository>
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.9.4-r6::<unknown repository>
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17::<unknown repository>
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13::<unknown repository>, 2.65-r1
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6::<unknown repository>, 1.5::<unknown repository>, 1.6.3::<unknown repository>, 1.7.9-r1::<unknown repository>, 1.8.5-r3::<unknown repository>, 1.9.4::<unknown repository>, 1.10::<unknown repository>, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r7::<unknown repository>
sys-devel/gcc:       3.3.5.20050130-r1::<unknown repository>
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.10-r2::<unknown repository>
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.14::<unknown repository>
sys-devel/make:      3.80-r1::<unknown repository>
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r2::<unknown repository> (sys-kernel/linux-headers)
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks fixlafiles fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="acl berkdb bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cups cxx dri fortran gdbm gpm iconv ipv6 modules mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly openmp pam pcre perl pppd python readline session ssl sysfs tcpd unicode x86 xorg zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" PHP_TARGETS="php5-2" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga neomagic nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware voodoo" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

I would love to get this thing updated and working correctly if anyone has some ideas to try I am all ears.

Thanks.

Mod Edit: stuck - tomk
<mod="jmbsvicetto">Unstuck the topic</mod>
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, there have been a number of threads about updating old systems, but none with this problem.

By the looks of the error it is not portage but the build. You did use quotes for FEATURES="-sandbox" ... and it was only a typo in your post wasn't it?

Also in your emerge --info it is still showing old python and bash versions,... did you
Code:
env-update
source /etc/profile
after the changes?

I would try upgrading some of the toolchain pkgs first, like binutils which is a much needed one for gcc.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
You did use quotes for FEATURES="-sandbox" ... and it was only a typo in your post wasn't it?
Quotes are optional if the value to be set contains no characters which require quoting. For example, try running FEATURES=-sandbox env | grep FEATURES and FEATURES="-sandbox" env | grep FEATURES.
floppymaster
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't show us the actual error message; scroll up to see what configure failed on.

I don't see how you could have gcc-4.4.4 installed if your glibc version is still 2.3.4; gcc-4.4 depends on >=glibc-2.8. Did you manually unpack some other binpkgs?
yaplej
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was almost always an error "collect2: ld returned 1 exit status" somewhere in the logs. It was burried in there though. The most obvious message was "C compiler cannot create executables".

I was using the docs on manually fixing portage because when I first tried emerge-webrsync it borked portage.
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml

I was also using the notes on this blog to manually get emerge working again.
http://blog.jolexa.net/2009/03/25/gentoo-tips-to-upgrade-your-really-old-installation/

I finally figured out from another forum that binutils needed updated also. So I manually updated that using the same directions from the blog. Only they left out that I needed to eselect the new binutils.

So after I did
Code:

eselect binutils list
eselect binutils set 2
env-update
source /etc/profile

it is finally compiling.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to run python-updater later too.
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaplej

Quote:

The most obvious message was "C compiler cannot create executables".

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-294109.html
I've had this before, surprised others haven't picked it up.

The 3 packages you want emerged to kick things off are glibc, binutils & gcc. Your message above spells binutils.If you can't emerge that, you do have a problem. need to again emerge a re-emerged binary.
yaplej
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did run python-updater also. I am now in the process of getting all the required packages updated via emerge now that its working. gcc, glibc, binutils, bash and portage for the ones I am working no now. I hope after those get updated I can update the rest all at once.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it, there have been a few upgrade snags your likely to run across depending on the pkgs installed.

Don't forget to add the --keep-going option to the emerge command. It'll help get past failed merges, give you a list of failed ones at the end. Often they will merge the second time around (often due to mis-calculating the merge order, so deps are properly satisfied the second time).
yaplej
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok it looks like I might have broken it good now. I updated coreutils and apparently the kernel headers have changed enough that cause touch to break. So now I cannot emerge anything again.

The error I get is.
Code:

* ERROR: virtual/libintl-0 failed:
 *   IO Failure -- Failed 'touch .unpacked' in...

The recommended fix I found is to revert back to an old version of coreutils and update the kernel http://da.nmilne.com/?p=120 but there are not any older versions in http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/x86/sys-apps/ to revert to. I do have version 5.2.1 in /usr/portage/distfiles/.
jbouzan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching this thread out of interest, since two years ago I tried this with a box that hadn't been updated in 6 months. I'm amazed you got anywhere, mine stopped emerging for I forgot what reason after a couple hours working at it. I didn't even try to find a solution, at that point I decided that everything was telling me to install fresh.
yaplej
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to revert back to the snapshot before I started updating. I am going to grab a snapshot after each update so if one breaks it like coreutils did I can revert back. I am going to modify my strategy a little. While I was trying to update everything and then the kernel I think I will try to update the bare minimum then the kernel. I dont know how much I will be able to get updated without updating coreutils.
Dragonlord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: All emerge suddenly fails at "touch" step Reply with quote

logs:
Code:
>>> Emerging (1 of 2) dev-libs/elfutils-0.149
 * elfutils-0.149.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                                                                                                                  [ ok ]
 * Package:    dev-libs/elfutils-0.149
 * Repository: gentoo
 * Maintainer: toolchain@gentoo.org
 * USE:  bzip2 elibc_glibc kernel_linux nls userland_GNU x86 zlib
 * This profile has not been tested thoroughly and is not considered to be
 * a supported server profile at this time.  For a supported server
 * profile, please check the Hardened project (http://hardened.gentoo.org).

* This profile is merely a convenience for people who require a more
 * minimal profile, yet are unable to use hardened due to restrictions in
 * the software being used on the server. This profile should also be used
 * if you require GCC 4.1 or Glibc 2.4 support. If you don't know if this
 * applies to you, then it doesn't and you should probably be using
 * Hardened, instead.

>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking elfutils-0.149.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/elfutils-0.149/work
 * Applying elfutils-0.118-PaX-support.patch ...                                                                                                                           [ ok ]
 * Applying elfutils-0.148-bashifications.patch ...                                                                                                                        [ ok ]
touch: setting times of `/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/elfutils-0.149/.unpacked': No such file or directory
 * ERROR: dev-libs/elfutils-0.149 failed:
 *   IO Failure -- Failed 'touch .unpacked' in /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/elfutils-0.149
 * Call stack:
 *   ebuild.sh, line 2320:  Called ebuild_main
 *   ebuild.sh, line 2227:  Called dyn_unpack
 *   ebuild.sh, line  746:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *      touch "${PORTAGE_BUILDDIR}/.unpacked" || die "IO Failure -- Failed 'touch .unpacked' in ${PORTAGE_BUILDDIR}"
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =dev-libs/elfutils-0.149',
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =dev-libs/elfutils-0.149'.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/elfutils-0.149/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/elfutils-0.149/temp/environment'.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/elfutils-0.149/work/elfutils-0.149'

>>> Failed to emerge dev-libs/elfutils-0.149, Log file:

This happens with all emerging since today. Strange line is
Code:
touch "${PORTAGE_BUILDDIR}/.unpacked" || die "IO Failure -- Failed 'touch .unpacked' in ${PORTAGE_BUILDDIR}"

I can run this code
Code:
touch /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/elfutils-0.149/.unpacked

manually and it works. Seems like portage fails at it for some unknown reason though. Any ideas what portage could suddenly mess up?
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the output of emerge --info? What have you installed recently?
ewaller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you try sudo touch ??
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem seems to be triggered by some particular combination of sandbox, coreutils and (glibc/kernel headers),
though it's not quite clear what are the exact conditions.
Dragonlord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody mentioned something about udev having troubles with older kernels. That machine still has 2.6.19 running. Could this have an influence?
Dragonlord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What is the output of emerge --info? What have you installed recently?

Code:
Portage 2.1.9.24 (default/linux/x86/10.0/server, gcc-4.3.4, glibc-2.11.2-r3, 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 i686)
System uname: Linux-2.6.19-gentoo-r5-i686-Intel-R-_Pentium-R-_4_CPU_3.00GHz-with-gentoo-1.12.14
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 02:30:23 +0000
app-shells/bash:     4.1_p7
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4-r13, 2.5.4-r3, 2.6.6-r1, 3.1.2-r4
dev-util/cmake:      2.8.1-r2
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.14-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:    2.4
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13::<unknown repository>, 2.65-r1
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6::<unknown repository>, 1.5::<unknown repository>, 1.6.3::<unknown repository>, 1.7.9-r1::<unknown repository>, 1.8.5-r3::<unknown repository>, 1.9.6-r2::<unknown repository>, 1.10.3, 1.11.1                                                                                                                                           
sys-devel/binutils:  2.20.1-r1                                                                                                                                                   
sys-devel/gcc:       4.1.2, 4.3.4, 4.4.4-r2                                                                                                                                       
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1                                                                                                                                                       
sys-devel/libtool:   2.2.10                                                                                                                                                       
sys-devel/make:      3.81-r2                                                                                                                                                     
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.30-r1 (sys-kernel/linux-headers)
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks fixlafiles fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.mirror.solnet.ch http://mir1.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/ http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo http://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/gentoo/ http://ftp.lug.ro/gentoo/ http://mirrors.sec.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/gentoo/ http://mirror.pudas.net/gentoo http://pandemonium.tiscali.de/pub/gentoo/"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
LINGUAS="en de"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
USE="7zip acl berkdb bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cups cxx dhcp dhcp} dri foomaticdb fortran gdbm gpm iconv ipv6 ldap mmx modules mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly openmp pam pcre perl png pppd python readline samba session slang snmp sse ssl sysfs syslog tcpd tiff truetype unicode usb x86 xml xorg zlib {-X" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en de" PHP_TARGETS="php5-2" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga neomagic nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware voodoo" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

returnthis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the exact same problem on a linode:

Quote:

Portage 2.1.9.24 (default/linux/x86/10.0, gcc-4.4.4, glibc-2.11.2-r3, 2.6.18.8-l
inode22 i686)
System uname: Linux-2.6.18.8-linode22-i686-Intel-R-_Xeon-R-_CPU_L5520_@_2.27GHz-
with-gentoo-1.12.14
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:30:22 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.1_p7
dev-lang/python: 2.4.6, 2.5.4-r4, 2.6.6-r1, 3.1.2-r4
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.1-r2
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.14-r1
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.4
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.65-r1
sys-devel/automake: 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.20.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc: 4.1.2, 4.3.4, 4.4.4-r2
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.10
sys-devel/make: 3.81-r2
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.30-r1 (sys-kernel/linux-headers)
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/revdep
-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS=""
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks fixlafiles fixpackages news paral
lel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-log
s unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress
--force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclu
de=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
USE="acl bash-completion berkdb bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cups cxx dri fortran gd
bm iconv ipv6 modules mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly openmp pam pcre perl ppp
d python readline session sqlite sse sse2 ssl sysfs tcpd unicode x86 zlib" ALSA_
CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x
ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 triden
t usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy
dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear
meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODU
LES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default aut
hn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_use
r autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expire
s ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache m
ime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir use
rtrack vhost_alias" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap
syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garm
in garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncor
e rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICE
S="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk
hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en" PHP_TARGETS="php5-2" RU
BY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga neo
magic nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware voodoo" XTA
BLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip
fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude cha
os account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_A
LL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_R
SYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apperently newer coreutils does not like older kernels and breaks tuoch.

See this thread
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=348640
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged some posts above

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Dragonlord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping up the kernel fixes the problem. Seems to be incompatibility with old kernels. God had this been "the hate" hunting down all the symbols that moved around (broken NAT on a router server SUCKS! :/ ... especially if it takes like 5 recompiles to find all the illogical stray symbols).
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to understand why people neglect kernel versions on such updates.
I think that the right path is portage->glibc->binutils->gcc->portage->glibc->binutils->kernel+header->reboot->rest
Dragonlord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
I can't seem to understand why people neglect kernel versions on such updates.
I think that the right path is portage->glibc->binutils->gcc->portage->glibc->binutils->kernel+header->reboot->rest

Do this over SSH and then see how you swear if the kernel doesn't come up after reset while the server is literally "in another state".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: