Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Mark for solved threads
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like a "Solved Mark" for solved threads?
Yes, sure, why not?
89%
 89%  [ 127 ]
No, it would be too much problem for the sysadmins
9%
 9%  [ 14 ]
What this guy is talking about??? I cannot understand him!
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 142

NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this would be a nice addition to our board modifications. Without looking further into that mod though, it is tough to say whether or not it will integrate smoothly with our current mod scheme. In any case, excellent suggestion.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least for the time being, additional features are unlikely to be added, though that does not preclude later changes.

Merged the above five posts.
Maliwik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Forum Solved Functionality? Reply with quote

I've been thinking about different ways to minimize the number of unanswered posts on the forums and make searching easier. One idea I was thinking that stemmed from multiple people was possibly a Solved function which someone could edit their post and select it from a dropdown list.

It then could be filed as solved and would disappear from the "Unanswered" posts filter if someone managed to solve their problem without any replies. It could also further be incorporated into a checkbox when searching the website for posts that are marked as solved. (Maybe have it automatically give the post a new icon and a <Solved> tag in the title). This might help people find what they're looking for more efficiently.

Does this sound like a decent idea, and if so, what are the chances of one of the forum admins getting any free time to look into?

Edit 1: I'm thinking of something easier and more efficient than https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-720167.html for marking posts as solved.

Edit 2: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-721052.html is another good idea for search improvement.

Edit 3: Wow, I need to learn how to search myself... https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-15082.html is kind of what I was thinking, although slightly different. Instead of having it a moderator only function (like in that post), make it so the original poster can edit his post and mark a checkbox as solved. I'm not too certain of what this would entail. I think there probably would be some extra php scripts to integrate it with the search system, but as far as I can tell, I don't think it would be a huge undertaking (I could be wrong :P).
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've all had this idea many a time... I've made this post before, you'll see several similar posts if you simply scroll down the front page of GFF.

Hopefully they'll do it, but don't count on it - in other words, do it yourself and you'll see it implimented, ask for it and it won't get done.

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Maliwik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider possibly seeing about what this would entail and working on it if I knew that it wasn't such a far-fetched idea and if I knew I wouldn't be doing it for nothing (I don't want to do it if there's no chance of them implementing it).
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged three posts.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maliwik wrote:
I'd consider possibly seeing about what this would entail and working on it if I knew that it wasn't such a far-fetched idea and if I knew I wouldn't be doing it for nothing (I don't want to do it if there's no chance of them implementing it).
given the history, they'd be more than happy to implement it, assuming you do all the coding for it.

Would probably be pretty hard - add a whole new mysql entry for solved or unsolved, fix the search engine to check that, allow to change that, etc.

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Maliwik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
Maliwik wrote:
given the history, they'd be more than happy to implement it, assuming you do all the coding for it.

Would probably be pretty hard - add a whole new mysql entry for solved or unsolved, fix the search engine to check that, allow to change that, etc.

Considering there are so many modifications to the Gentoo forums already, I could only see this being done with help from an Admin (since creating something like this would have to be created around all the modifications already here).

That would be the most difficult part.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some things which you should probably consider before embarking on writing such a patch. What is likely to be the last revision of the current code base is being worked on now, so far as I know all changes are to update to match the current upstream release and to allow the forums to function in a newly mandated configuration. Once the updates currently being worked on are in place only changes that prove essential are at all likely to be implemented before further major changes are completed. Even then, changes to existing tables are less likely to be implemented as they are more likely to impede updating along with upstream releases. Given the database server we currently have access to, adding more queries for typical page generation is also likely to at least be deferred as reducing the load on that server is apparently a major concern of the infrastructure team.

Setting aside technical impediments to implementing this idea, flagging topics as solved is not a universally agreed on practice and it not required by forum guidelines, topics marked as solved frequently end up gathering similar problems to which the original solution does not necessarily apply, and this is something which can be achieved with current tools by editing the subject of first post and posting a reply describing the solution.

In short, if this sort of feature does get added it is not likely to be in the short term.
Maliwik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
snip

Good to know advice, Desultory. When and if you plan to accept and implement changes/features such as this, look me up :)
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: How to close a solved thread Reply with quote

Please add to the Guidelines how to close solved theads consistently.
There are many versions of [solved] [Solved] at the end or the beginning of the subject.
A flag to mark threads as solved like bugzilla has would be helpful and of course an appropriate search for this.

Regards,
Massimo
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for the guidelines part, but the internal search is completely useless. Such a flag might help a bit, but I would probably continue recommending people use google with site:forums.gentoo.org instead.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged previous two posts.

As you can see there isn't a consensus on this issue, personally I'm not a fan of marking topics as solved mainly for the reasons outlined by rac here and masseya here. For these reasons this feature isn't top of our TODO list.
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll: linux-solved.com
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pianosaurus wrote:
I'm all for the guidelines part, but the internal search is completely useless. Such a flag might help a bit, but I would probably continue recommending people use google with site:forums.gentoo.org instead.

off-topic about the search..: So why not implementing that google search into the search field? Lot of sites already are charging google for their internal search hoping that external engine will do a better job than anything selfmade... (Myself I don't understand why searching content internally would be such a problem to implement)
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massimo B. wrote:
off-topic about the search..: So why not implementing that google search into the search field? Lot of sites already are charging google for their internal search hoping that external engine will do a better job than anything selfmade...

Two main reasons 1) it costs money, a lot of money as we would come under larger business on there. 2) There are areas of the forums that we don't want Google to index but that still needs to be searchable by mods/admins.
machine slave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could somebody please update the forum rules and state whether we should mark our threads as [SOLVED]? If the answer's no, I think it should be stated as a comment below rules, including the reasons why (since many forums do require that). Now I can see some people set this mark and some don't, which is a bit weird.

Sorry I didn't read messages before, it's too much reading for a small question for me, but that's exactly why I think rules should be updated.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because (five posts above):
tomk wrote:
As you can see there isn't a consensus on this issue, personally I'm not a fan of marking topics as solved mainly for the reasons outlined by rac here and masseya here. For these reasons this feature isn't top of our TODO list.
- John
machine slave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
No, because (five posts above):
tomk wrote:
- John

"No" means that we shouldn't, or that the rules couldn't be updated? I wasn't talking about any feature, just asked to clear up whether we should change topic title to [SOLVED] or not.

Right now the topics are only sometimes marked, and with varying spelling, which in my opinion is worse than any decision.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No we shouldn't update the rules because there's no consensus on whether we should be marking threads when they're solved. Too many nit-picky rules can also be stifling. Sorry if I wasn't clear. :)

- John
machine slave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
No we shouldn't update the rules because there's no consensus on whether we should be marking threads when they're solved. Too many nit-picky rules can also be stifling. Sorry if I wasn't clear. :)

- John

Ok. Maybe a comment could be given below rules, for ones that don't have any opinion on this at all (like me). :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: