these forums are great, but one suggestion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: these forums are great, but one suggestion Reply with quote

ive noticed many good things posted - very helpful tidbits of knowledge throughout these forums. has anyone considered some sort of system to archive the most useful stuff in a easily accessible place, so they dont scroll down to oblivion and become lost in an information entropy pool as the days pass by?

-brady
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is sort of already implemented. Check here.
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: these forums are great, but one suggestion Reply with quote

brady wrote:
so they dont scroll down to oblivion and become lost in an information entropy pool as the days pass by?

you werent paying attention
kanuslupus. the information is still there, but she said lost in a pool! which is so true. and while that search function is handy, it is by no means a thorough search tool. i could type "courier not logging in" and it's search every document with the words courier, not, logging, and in. no matter what. sure, i could tell it to search the title text only but that's not very useful as people dont always label their topics properly.

and when you've gotta ton of posts in the archives... it gets a bit frustrating.

perhaps im wrong though... maybe im the only one with the search engine problems....

ryan
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is usually my first line of defense. If something suddenly breaks that was working two days ago, then the mailing list archives are my second line. Then I come here. I agree that there's a lot of stuff to sort through no matter how you write out your search. The idea of an archive of useful or knowledgable posts would be much better done by someone who has a lot of free time cataloging problems and saving them to some sort of massive FAQ/Howto (a la Life With Qmail) than something handled by the message board. That would be super neat, but you'll probably have a hard time finding someone willing to do it... maybe if we split it up by forum...? I'd be willing to chip in for a small part like that. I've got a lot of dead time while I'm at work these days. Anyone else?
TheWart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the only thing i can think of is making the thread a 'sticky' thread, but then again, what one mod thinks is a cool tip, some people may seem as a waste of bandwidth.

On the box it said it was designed for Win XP or better, so why won't it work with Linux?
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

handsomepete wrote:
I'd be willing to chip in for a small part like that.

Then join us here! :)
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybee:

when a usefull thread gets locked, then maybee someone could get the info out of it and compile it in a readable form, and repost that in a "forums archive" or "faq" section somewhere.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syadnom wrote:
maybee:

when a usefull thread gets locked, then maybee someone could get the info out of it and compile it in a readable form, and repost that in a "forums archive" or "faq" section somewhere.

Or, as I have been suggesting for a while, repost it into a knowledge base system. Of course, I've not seen software that would fit the needs of the Gentoo community in that regard.

...but then again, neither did Mozilla, and that's where Bugzilla came from.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: