Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty!
Bootsplash works with grub, although I still have the /sbin/splash complaints during the init scripts.
reiser4 works! I hacked the BMG ebuilds to use the new libaal and reiser4progs versions, built, mkfs'd, mounted, and did some copying with no problems. umount segfaults with an oops in dmesg, but hey! It works :D

I'm throwing everything together now, and will release soon.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCK ON bssteph !!
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCK ON bssteph !!

Nick 19a is out btw.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prettier than ever before! Faster than a charging penguin! Stronger than ... a charging penguin!
From the edge of the world comes test9-love3!

http://bssteph.irtonline.org/linux/patches/2.6/2.6.0-test9/2.6.0-test9-love3/2.6.0-test9-love3.patch.bz2
http://bssteph.irtonline.org/linux/patches/2.6/2.6.0-test9/2.6.0-test9-love3/2.6.0-test9-love3_notes.txt
http://bssteph.irtonline.org/linux/patches/2.6/2.6.0-test9/2.6.0-test9-love3/love-sources-2.6.0_beta9-r3.ebuild

Starring Nick Piggin's scheduler, bootsplash, and all the favorites you've come to know and love!
Featuring the long-awaited return of the latest phenom from Hans, Reiser4!

Can your compiler handle the love???

A Lovechild/Bssteph Production

--

Okay, as you can tell, I like this release. Bootsplash is better, reiser4 works, there's a new mm... all is good. On a down note, I removed kexec in an attempt to help with the ACPI shutdown issues.

Enjoy!
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrgh. double post!

19a is in love3, thanks to PrakashKC.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)

Compiling right now. Getting ready for love...
thundersteele
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerged
compiled
booting
great!

bootsplash is working now with grub, only the progress bar in silent mode doesn't move. Again, great work. Love sources rock!

Thanx.
wdreinhart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot d#mn! Bootsplash + nvidia-kernel works in this version. I don't know what the problem was before, but the latest bootsplash patch seems to have fixed it.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Cautionary Tale About Mounting

As I said above, I had an oops when I tried to do a reiser4 umount before. I sluffed it off as nothing important, but then nothing would umount.

Which, as you can probably guess, is a problem.

I couldn't kill new mount/umount processes if they hung, which is beginning to sound familiar, eh? So in the end I had to punch the ol' Red Button. Then, after the reboot, I tried mounting the same disc (a dvd) as last time, and that worked. So, the cautionary: only mount reiser4 if you're sure you want it. And be prepared when that doesn't umount.

Prepared, you ask? Well, there's a safer way of shutting down than -just- pushing the button, even if you can't reboot proper.

When you normally want to shut down:
Code:

root # telinit s                           # drop to single user mode
# mount -o ro,remount /home                # and all your other mount points

I've just started looking into the cause... keep in mind my problems were triggered by a failed reiser4 umount, and otherwise my umounts (even the ones at shutdown, i think) are working fine... but if anyone else can help narrow down some more, that'd be dandy.

A tester friend of mine just reported that on the latest bk + reiser4, reiser4 worked fine, when he couldn't rm files from love3. And he's been having the shutdown umount problems (which he still has in the latest bk).
Grr.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, got bootsplash working, but I have no one problem:

When each service gets started, I get a annoying message:
Usage: splash logstring
splash -s [-u unit] -n [cfgfile]

Have I missed anything? I would really like to get rid of it...
Dinini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splash usage errors come from devfs messing with /dev/fb0, you are not missing anything and it does not happen if devfs is not used (it's not standard for SuSE who produces the patch)

Been emailing back and forth with Stefan trying to figure a way around it.

EDIT The above is wrong. Stupid init scripts were updated on the test machine without my knowledge and I was barking down the wrong path, sorry to have dragged you along with me.

I thought I had been testing against the earlier init scripts which did not play with /sbin/splash until you actually got to the /etc/init.d/bootsplash script. This is not the case in the current test version.

Last edited by Dinini on Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was strange: I accidently booted with worng screen size of 1024x768 instead of 1280x1024 and then bootsplash didn't show, but I had none of above messages as well. But using my correct resolution (regardless of passing the kernel the initrd) I always get those messages now. Hmpf.

BTW, bootsplash works nicely with the vesa patch, so better use 0x5XX instead of 0x3XX screenmodes. :)
Dinini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong resolution, then /proc/splash doesn't get created and no problem with the init scripts.

Rofl, now i've lost the stupid vesa patch :) more forum searching for me. (this changing between machines gets confusing).

Edit: no devfs on other init systems and no problem, no devfs on gentoo init scripts and you get the annoying message that you need devfs and the usage messages keep popping up. more testing to follow, I really need a bigger harddrive for all this multibooting.

Last edited by Dinini on Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:32 am; edited 3 times in total
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinini wrote:
splash usage errors come from devfs messing with /dev/fb0, you are not missing anything and it does not happen if devfs is not used (it's not standard for SuSE who produces the patch)

Been emailing back and forth with Stefan trying to figure a way around it.

Another reason to push for the adoption of udev...

What is it that devfs is doing wrong? The fb0 -> fb/0 symlink?
Dinini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, the init scripts are badly constructed to handle bootsplash in baselayout 1.8.6.12, you'll get the stupid usage errors even when using a splash screen with kernel 2.4.x. It is not caused by the bootsplash patch in love sources. Until this gets sorted out you might want to drop to a lower version without the bootsplash code. (1.8.6.10-r1 is the last stable release so that's what I shifted back to, it's what you should have installed unless you enabled unstable builds by "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"" or similar.)

Code:
emerge /usr/portage/sys-apps/baselayout/baselayout-1.8.6.10-r1.ebuild

(this also kills silent bootsplash so if it's not causing you an annoyance skip this)

The adventurous can start tracking down the bootsplash calls in /sbin/functions.sh and /sbin/rc to try and find the source of the badly formed bootsplash calls but I havent' the time to do this atm.

Note: This also clears up the problem with reiserfs not being cleanly unmounted on my test system. I once again have the the cleanly unmounted message at boot.

I would have saved myself a few hours of headaches by searching on bootsplash instead of baselayout (why baselayout changes should be only marked as bootsplash I don't know). At any rate Usage bug reported at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31633 which is marked as a duplicate of https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21019 where someone is suggesting init script changes to allow for a progress bar at boot. It looks like there is still much work to be done and the current baselayout is a work in progress.

Last edited by Dinini on Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Dinini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vidar wrote:
I'm not sure what happened, but I think love-sources killed my system. My parition is reiser3, and basically, I never noticed it, but in test9-love2 at startup it would always say the drive was NOT cleanly unmounted. Shutdown messages appeared normal, so I didn't give it a second though. Well, yesterday when I tried to boot, reiser finally checked the tree this time and it found some errors (unfixable). It won't let me finish booting without going into "maintance" mode.

I never had any problems like this with any other sources even with test9-love1.

Nothing important was lost, so I'm not mad or anything... all my data is on a seperate drive. I'm just kind of frustrated now, that this weekend, I have to re-do everything.

Anywone else experience this? What could have casued this?

Yes, I think I've found it when trying to track down the baselayout changes. It's a buggy halt script in baselayout 1.8.6.12. Try the halt script attached to the bug report at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33271 if you are still using that version of baselayout.

The new baselayout came out at about the same time as love2 so I can easily see the confusion leading you to suspect the kernel.
Vidar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, interesting.

However, the damage is already done, and my linux partition won't boot without going into "maintanace mode" because there are unfixable errors. Does anyone know a way to force it to boot? If not, guess that means I have to reinstall, and I don't have enough free time to do that until early december.
Dinini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bssteph wrote:
Another reason to push for the adoption of udev...

What is it that devfs is doing wrong? The fb0 -> fb/0 symlink?

If /dev/fb0 or /proc/splash are changed then you could see the sort of errors we are getting in the current init scripts.

I had suspsected devfs because I had not seen the error on another distribution where I do not have devfs set up AND the first appearance of the Usage error immediately followed the devfsd message in the init sequence. But that was NOT the case. Apologies for the confusion and any misinformation.

I miss having a spell checker on this board :)
antisthenes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To force ReiserFS to get over it (I had to do this a whole lot when I had bad ram):

Boot into the livecd or knoppix.

Do reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/(your_partition). Make sure you have DMA turned on, or else it takes really long. Say yes when it prompts you.

It's not that hard.
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Lovechild, Bssteph :o

I finally upgraded my notebook from 2.4.20 to test9-love3 and it has so far been a huge leap, and I never knew a Celeron could feel this fast. It's been very stable so far, but I'm not using many experimental features like reiser4 yet. The biggest surprise was that ACPI and the power meter worked on the first try.

Thanks again :)
Skrot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sorry if this is way off-topic, but I have a question. It is thus: Is there working HPTRAID in any patch sets of any 2.6 kernel? I haven't gotten it to work in any that I have tried. It is not strictly a problem as linux is installed onto a basic 30gig IDE drive, but all of my music and movies and such is on the windows NTFS RAID partition. If it is working, can someone point me to instructions or somesuch thing which tells me how to get it working? I have searched the forums, but can't find anything but someone saying it's not working in 2.6 at the moment.

Another question, about alsa sound. Is there a way that I can get a symlink for /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp to point to the right place? I have looked around in /sys and I can't find anything which makes sense to me. Is this possible to do? By the way, ALSA does work for me in 2.6, as xmms works etc, it's just that programs that go straight for /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer can't find it and don't play any sound.

Thanks, and if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Dijon
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bssteph,

Have you thought of changing the name now that you're in charge? I've tried love sources and like it but my computer balks at the thought of running a kernel with 'love' in the name. :D

How about a kernel named 'evil' or 'dangerous' for us Gentooers who favour style over substance! :twisted:

Andrew
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I found a dirty workaround for the messages:

In functions.sh in the function splash_update() {

I commented out both

/sbin/splash "${myscript}" "${action}"

and then no more hassle. Apparently this is no solution, as it seems the variables myscript or action are wrong when this function is called. Anyone?
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me? For me this kernel seems a lot less "fluent" then previos one. Using cfq mozilla takes forever to load while doing an emerge in the background and using as it is somewhat better. Nevertheless it feels much less responsive than love2. Esp as now XMMS skips while emerge is running.
genmich
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forcedeth v16 released:
http://www.hailfinger.org/carldani/linux/patches/forcedeth/

Update
v17 is ready
/update

Please update

Last edited by genmich on Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: