Going 64bit - keeping old home directory
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Going 64bit - keeping old home directory Reply with quote

Hi,

I just ordered me some ram and anyway, this is 2010 and people (like me) are still running 32bit? Sounds weird.
The question is: can I keep my old (from a 32bit install) home directory, so I won't have to do all those customizations to Gnome, Openoffice and other programs again?
Now it's time for the harvest
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use your home directory under a 64 bit system. If you have installed binaries there, you will need to have IA32_EMULATION enabled in your kernel to run them.
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Going 64bit - keeping old home directory Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
can I keep my old (from a 32bit install) home directory, so I won't have to do all those customizations to Gnome, Openoffice and other programs again?

Absolutely. I kept my old /home directory when I jumped to 64-bit, the customisations and settings for KDE, OpenOffice and everything else were preserved and worked properly.

Whilst setting it up I actually had two root partitions, one temporarily had my existing 32-bit install copied from the old hard drive and the other would have my brand new 64-bit install. Using GRUB I could select either one, the 32-bit when I wanted to do something and the 64-bit when I could leave it to compile stuff.

Both used the same /home directory (on a separate partition) and there weren't any ill effects at all swapping back and forth between 32-bit and 64-bit.
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there might be a problem with gtk apps not showing icons. it might not exist anymore but i had it a couple of times when switching between 32bit and 64 bit frequently.

if i remember right gtk or one of it's related libraries used to store list of some plugins with full absolute paths, and that confused 32bit systems. i had to wipe out few configuration files to resolve it. i think it manifested itself as gtk apps not showing icons on buttons, missing texts in menus, etc.

i think this has been fixed for a while, but you never know. aside from that everything else worked fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: