running two Guild Wars
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: running two Guild Wars Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone has tried, and succeeded, but anyone know how to get two different Guild Wars games running? I know in windoze, you've got to make 2 folders, run xvi32.exe on the gw2.exe file, edit registry etc etc blah blah....but how would that work here, if at all? I have no clue where to start other than making the two folders and editing the Gw2.exe with xvi32 (God bless wine!!)

Any suggestions, hints, tips?
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you just run it again, while one instance is already running?

A trick to run a second instance with its own simulated desktop is to run:

Code:

$ wine explorer /desktop=0,1440x900 "C:\Program Files\...\gw2.exe"

Change the "1440x900" to the preferred window size. You can create more simulated desktops by naming them "1,1440x900" etc.

If this is not enough, or a window'ed game is not what you want, there is the WINEPREFIX environment variable which contains the path to the base folder for the emulated windows installation (default "~/.wine"). You can set the variable to another folder for your second game, but you will have to reinstall/copy the game to the new prefix. PlayOnLinux can manage several wine prefixes.
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that almost works. It brings up another window with Guild Wars in it, it's still looking in the "........./Gw.exe" for the first one, not the second. Ill keep trying once I get some time later.

Any more hints?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the client refuses to start more than one instances as I'm assuming it does, the same trick should work what works in window$ I think.
However yeah, there are "less h4x" ways as well as mentioned by Apheus.

In simple steps, I'd try something like this, which basically is like running the application as a different user and it's how I've done it with other app(s).
Do read it to the end, the first way is how I do it due to, well, being me, but in the end things might be more simple and work better for you.

Code:
WINEPREFIX="/name-of-your-second-wine-folder" winecfg

#  Just creating a new Wine folder by updating the configuration there.  I think one could run any application or whatever and it would do this, but might as well set some options set while at it.  By the way, I don't know if it matters at all, if the Wine folder is a .folder like the default one is (.wine), but it seems to work without it just as well as I just tried it.  However, the one with the applications I've actually used with is a .folder.

cp -r /gamefolder1 /gamefolder2

#  Copying the game files.

wine regedit

#  Export everything and I mean EVERYTHING (have the "My Computer" selected) into a registry file.

WINEPREFIX="/name-of-your-second-wine-folder" wine regedit

#  Import the registry from the above mentioned.

Now you should have 2 copies of the game folder and two Wine set-ups with identical registry.

To run the games:

Code:
wine /gamefolder1/app.exe

WINEPREFIX="/name-of-your-second-wine-folder" wine /gamefolder2/app.exe

Before the second one would work this way, though, you would most likely need to edit the install paths for the second registry as you might have thought. If not, the game would probably run just fine from the first folder.
Moreover, you would need to make sure you have the drives set-up in the Winecfg properly, if your app was installed in a non-default drive.

Alternatively, I guess you could just run the installer as normal, but with the prefix.

Code:
WINEPREFIX="/name-of-your-second-wine-folder" wine setup-of-whatever

Now, what would make everything more simple and all, would be if you simply had the application installed in the default "drive", like so:

Code:
/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Games/GuildWars/

/home/username/.wine-the-second/drive_c/Games/GuildWars/

This way, the install path should still be the same to the win-apps without the need to manually edit the registry (after importing) nor install with the installer.
In other words:

Code:
WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine-the-second" wine /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Games/GuildWars/GW.exe

#  Creates the Wine folder.

cp -r /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Games/GuildWars home/username/.wine-the-second/drive_c/Games/

#  Copying the game folder.

wine regedit

#  Exporting registry to a file.

WINEPREFIX="home/username/.wine-the-second" wine regedit

#  Importing registry from a file.

I was distracted a lot while writing this so I'm sorry if it seems confusing and if there are mistakes but I do hope this helps!
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will definetly be trying that out today. I will post later and let you, or anyone else who cares, know how it went. Thank you
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was messing around with it just now a bit more, still new to myself as it is, so bear in mind I'm no expert on this and one should not blindly follow my instructions. ;^^
Anyways, I thought I'd add some more to what I already posted, I do hope it helps!

If you have the regular one installed somewhere else than the default path of wine, you could easily still put the second one anywhere you wanted, if you just make the second wine point to the folder with the same paths and drive letter what the first one has.

Let's say the first one has the game installed at

Code:
X:\GW

or in other words: "/mnt/asd/X\GW" and the drive setting in winecfg is

Code:
Letter    Drive Mapping
X:        /mnt/asd/X/

You could do it like so for the second one:

Code:
Letter    Drive Mapping
X:        /mnt/asd/X/SecondWineStuff/

And the files would be in

Code:
/mnt/asd/X/SecondWineStuff\GW"

It could be of course anywhere, as long as the drive letter and the paths shown to "windoze" are the same as for the first one.
Could be a different mount point for example, or a different drive altogether, whichever works the best with ones set-up and all. Only thing that really matters is that "window$" sees the path as "X:\GW".

This way the registry settings and everything will work as if it was installed regularly and would be a lot better than manually changing all the paths in registry as it can depending of the application be a LOT to do and while just installing the game with WINEPREFIX can work just fine, too, it can be problematic due to the various settings one might have had when doing the first one and it might not even install with just the default settings.
Of course this is no problem if the person knows exactly what was done heh.

I don't know about the Terms of Service of Guildwars what comes to multiclienting and all, but it's not really my business, either. This is just something I've recently learned about Wine. :]
I will look back in here so if there's any questions you'd like to ask or something doesn't work or I made a mistake while typing this, do tell. ^^
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I greatly appreciate all the help Chiitoo. Unfortunately, I have made the mistake of not paying close enough attention when installing Gentoo the other day and not adding ext2 support into the kernel, so Guild Wars stuff has fallen to the wayside for the time being. As soon as I am able to get that problem resolved, which will be soon, hopefully, I will jump right back on this and see what I can do to figure it out.

I will make sure and post any updates as far as this works, this doesnt, etc as soon as I see them :D
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have gotten a semi-fix for this adding
Code:
[exec] (Guild Wars 2) {WINEPREFIX="/home/sinister/.wine2" wine /home/sinister/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Guild\ Wars/Gw.exe}
to fluxbox menu. Only thing to fix/change is I have to reset the resolution each time I load it, but its a quick fix, that will be good enough for the time being until I have more time to tinker with it. Thank you again for the help/insight.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could be of any assistance. ^^
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinisterdomestik: thanks for the fluxbox menu entry - should allow me to get my GW working along with several other games that I'll be installing into wine later.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: