View previous topic :: View next topic  
drizek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: big dave
Topic: libtards won't stand up against TSA molestation
Reason: libtards is a derogatory term.

I'd say this comes under OTW Guideline #2 - tomk (a fellow libsomething)

What about "teabaggers"? Because that apparently is too derogatory for rule #2 of the OTW Guidelines (but not rule 1 of the Internet Guidelines)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
What about "teabaggers"? Because that apparently is too derogatory for rule #2 of the OTW Guidelines (but not rule 1 of the Internet Guidelines)
I've seen it thrown around a lot.

Also, "libtards won't stand up to the TSA" is typically not considered a personal attack while "You're a libtard" would be.

Is that really the game you want to play? Please let's not go down the road of Mom-Johnny-won't-stop-looking-at-me.
drizek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I've seen it thrown around a lot.

I used to throw it around a lot, until a mod threatened to ban me. I don't want to play any games, I just don't appreciate the blatant double standard, particularly when the threat is motivated by the moderators own political views.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from the report topic.

Other than the OTW guidelines the point that pjp made is an important one, it's not really about what particular word is used it's how it's used. Personal attacks and/or abusive language will get you banned, other than that we'd prefer to see OTWers play nicely together so that we don't have to intervene. We're not going to define a list of what words/terms are allow or not, we've got better things to do.

In terms of moderation, all moderators must abide by the Moderator Guidelines and other Gentoo developer/staff guidelines. Their political views should have nothing to do with the way that they moderate, but we all all human and as with any electronic medium tone is not easy to convey so may sometimes be misunderstood. I sincerely hope that none of the moderation team moderate in any politically motivated way and I have not seen any instances of this.

Remember that the forums are primarily a place for getting support with Gentoo Linux, OTW is a nice extra where people can discuss other topics but if it takes up too much of our time then we can live without it.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been called a "libertard" more times than I can count.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen "dbag" used a lot too, reminds me every time why I don't wanna go near OTW anymore.
drizek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
I've been called a "libertard" more times than I can count.

I've only ever heard libertardian. THat seems to imply that you hold libertarded views rather than saying that you yourself are libertarded.

Actually though, now that I think about it, I think people mostly just say lolbertarian, which I think is actually kinda funny.

Anyway, yes, the constant use of the term DBag by some people was part of the motivation for this.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
I've only ever heard libertardian. THat seems to imply that you hold libertarded views rather than saying that you yourself are libertarded.

You're right, it's "libertardian."

Quote:
Actually though, now that I think about it, I think people mostly just say lolbertarian, which I think is actually kinda funny.

Yeah I give a free pass to anyone who is genuinely funny. And at least lolbertarian doesn't sound malicious. Libertardian does sound malicious.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said Libertardian. :lol:

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to force myself to use the word "libertarian", there is so much wrong with the term alone, that I don't even want to start listing my reasons. It might be better to try to restore the meaning of "liberal" instead of inventing a new word that will inevitably receive the freedom-treatment again within a few weeks' time. "Libertardian" enables me to talk about certain topics with a hint of sarcasm instead of going into full rage mode. So I think it does a lot to keep conversations in OTW relatively civilized ;-)
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Sheldon]Fascinating: People on the interwebs can feel hurt when a combination of letters is presented in front of their eyes, although they most probably have no (personal) relation to each other.[/Sheldon]

Do you really give a (please input word which offends you the most) if others you don't even know are calling you names? If so, please write a short essay was zur fortfplanzungstätigkeit the big fuzz is about.
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadako wrote:
I've seen "dbag" used a lot too, reminds me every time why I don't wanna go near OTW anymore.
8O
I recall "douchebag" being a stand-in insult from about 4th grade up to maybe 10th. After awhile these things lose their sting.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forkbomb wrote:
Sadako wrote:
8O
I recall "douchebag" being a stand-in insult from about 4th grade up to maybe 10th. After awhile these things lose their sting.
Right, it's a fairly tame term, however one particular user has been extensively using the term "dbag" in place of "democrat", thereby essentially calling anyone who considers themselves a democrat (or a "liberal" in the screwed up U.S. use of the word) a douchbag...
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Lemocrat (portmanteau of lemming and democrat); less vulgar and much more to the point. :P
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadako wrote:
forkbomb wrote:
Sadako wrote:
8O
Right, it's a fairly tame term, however one particular user has been extensively using the term "dbag" in place of "democrat", thereby essentially calling anyone who considers themselves a democrat (or a "liberal" in the screwed up U.S. use of the word) a douchbag...
I think the person in question is reserving the use of dbag for big "D" US Democrat Party members.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
derogatory term

This is kinda like going to the zoo, climbing into the monkeys' enclosure, then moaning to the zookeeper that the monkeys are throwing excrement at each other, and some of it is hitting you :lol:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
drizek wrote:
derogatory term

This is kinda like going to the zoo, climbing into the monkeys' enclosure, then moaning to the zookeeper that the monkeys are throwing excrement at each other, and some of it is hitting you :lol:

:lol:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
I used to throw it around a lot, until a mod threatened to ban me. I don't want to play any games, I just don't appreciate the blatant double standard, particularly when the threat is motivated by the moderators own political views.
drizek wrote:
Anyway, yes, the constant use of the term DBag by some people was part of the motivation for this.
AFAIK, I've "coined" the term Dbag and I have never threatened to ban you.

If I see some discussion getting way out of hand -- meaning really bad since I have no interest in banning anyone other than spammers -- then I'll offer advice on toning it down to prevent other moderators from banning someone.

Sadako wrote:
Oh, you've got to be kidding me. Out of all that has been written in OTW, Dbag is what finally put you over the edge? Bullshit.

As for the use of the term, it was in direct response to people ignorantly (or deliberately) using the word teabagger without having a clue what a supporter of the movement actually was.

I'm reminded of the term liberal which people generically of the left decided was offensive and changed to preferring progressive. Liberal has a meaning. If you are one, you should be OK with that. It is what it is and is not derogatory unless being one is derogatory.

I fail to see why people can't ignore a discussion they don't want to participate in or don't care for the tone someone takes in a discussion. Ignore the whole thread or just specific posters. Other than making sure nothing is really crossing the line for needing moderation, I do it a lot (and I'm sure others ignore my comments for similar reasons).

I'll even admit to having seen some things which probably ought to have been given a warning, but I've ignored it and pretended I didn't see them.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most egregious over-stepping of the boundary is ichbinsysphos' repeated reference to forum members from the U.S.A. as "Americunts":
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-859282.html
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't noticed it in a while, I do believe eurofag or something similar predates that one.

I have used the term, but not much (I don't think). I've preferred effete as it is accurate to the stereotype without necessarily being "bad" (hey, if some see value in it, then it can't truly be bad IMO).

What about EUbagger? :D

(Eubagger can be a broader net)
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but "fag" is commonly used in day-to-day speech in public. People say, "You fag." to somebody for just about anything. It's not considered a serious insult.

They don't, on the other hand, go around calling each other "cunts". And if they do, it's considered a serious insult.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fag is the new N word. Homosexuals can use it at will, yet it is taboo for a straight person to use. And speaking of fags, I would never call BoneKracker a cunt.

George Orwell
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You... you... iconoclast!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: