Gentoo on XBOX 360?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crumbz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on XBOX 360? Reply with quote

so i heard it can be done, does anyone here have any experience with it at all? i am interested in how it's performance compares to a regular desktop.

i was hoping to use one for video encoding, but only if it were worth it.

Thanks.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, why use an xbox 360 for that? Is it particularly good at video encoding? It seems hard to believe that the top of the curve for a cost-performance ratio is a gaming machine made by microsoft, though I guess it's got to be pretty hefty inside -but also 5 years old or so, right?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to another gentoo user with gentoo on his xbox. It is stuck at using a 2.4 kernel. No-one has made patches for the 2.6 kernel. With that it is becoming harder to get software going as new versions are relying on 2.6 features.

See this forum thread.

Besides if it is just video work, that can be done even on little intel atom processor systems as long as it has a decent video card. You can get Nvidia based cards that have 1080p hdmi output for less than $100. The video processing can be directed to be done by the gpu on the video card. I personally have mplayer set to use vdpau so playing video on my quad core system barely shows any change in load. I can watch video even with emerge running full out. I get the occasional pause due to IO bottlenecks, but doable.

I would think a basic (cheap) board with a good onbaord video chip, an quad core AMD cpu, and you'd have a better system for nearly the same price. It will also not be limited in usability the same as a patched kernel dependent xbox.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Gentoo on Alternative Architectures as it fits better here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: