Fdisk problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austinramsay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Fdisk problem Reply with quote

Hey guys, this is my first install with gentoo. I'm on my sunfire v100 (SPARC64 arch). During the partitioning of the disk, it's not letting me specify the correct amount of sectors and the interleave factor. The units = cylinders of 4080 * 512 bytes turns into something like 1024 * 512 bytes or something like that. Any reason why this would be happening? Thanks
austinramsay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone help me please?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on Sparc.

You may get more exposure here. Also try IRC #gentoo-sparc on irc.freenode.net

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something like that happen to me when setting up my 'Blade 2000. You need to rewrite the sun label before you can create partitions. Hope this helps.

Linux - the best text adventure game ever.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Try cfdisk ? Reply with quote

FWIW: I think I read something somewhere by Mr Knopper (of Knoppix fame) saying that cfdisk is better at handling converting requested partition start/size into numbers that agree with hardware alignment requirements. It's a while back, and I've no way of knowing if it made any difference, but I've always used cfdisk since and it's worked OK. But then, so probably would fdisk. Whatever, cfdisk has a nice (curses?) UI.
austinramsay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the new sun disk label, still had the problem. I'll stick with Solaris 10 if I can't get it to work, so if I can't find a solution I'll be okay.
wanne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Try cfdisk ? Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
FWIW: I think I read something somewhere by Mr Knopper (of Knoppix fame) saying that cfdisk is better at handling converting requested partition start/size into numbers that agree with hardware alignment requirements. It's a while back, and I've no way of knowing if it made any difference, but I've always used cfdisk since and it's worked OK. But then, so probably would fdisk. Whatever, cfdisk has a nice (curses?) UI.
fdisk about itself:
Quote:
There are several *fdisk programs around. Each has its problems and strengths. Try them in the order cfdisk, fdisk, sfdisk. (Indeed, cfdisk is a beautiful program that has strict requirements on the partition tables it accepts, and produces high quality partition tables. Use it if you can. fdisk is a buggy program that does fuzzy things - usually it happens to produce reasonable results. Its single advantage is that it has some support for BSD disk labels and other non-DOS partition tables. Avoid it if you can. sfdisk is for hackers only - the user interface is terrible, but it is more correct than fdisk and more powerful than both fdisk and cfdisk. Moreover, it can be used noninteractively.)

But I never had any problems with it.
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

austinramsay wrote:
I did the new sun disk label, still had the problem. I'll stick with Solaris 10 if I can't get it to work, so if I can't find a solution I'll be okay.

Hmm, odd. It did the trick for me when one of my disks didn't match the other exactly.

Linux - the best text adventure game ever.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: