Why let unregistered people post?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freefall
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Why let unregistered people post? Reply with quote

It doesn't take more than a minute or two to register.

I think it feels wrong to see all these "guest" posts. It doesn't feel like a community as much as it would if people were required to register.
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I know sometimes when I go to a forum and have just one question, seems like kind of a waste to make an account, I'll only use it once. I'm not sure about how many people actually come back each day to check on posts and actually assist others.

There are some very nice benefits to being a registered user, and I encourage everyone to register. What does everyone else think? Should I make a poll (or somebody else for that matter)?

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and if we require users to register they will be more likely to type an invalid email address and I end up catching the return to senders.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
tvon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: If its not broken.... Reply with quote

IMHO, there shouldnt be a need to require people to register unless anonymous abuse becomes a problem.

Granted, the way Gentoo is growing in popularity this will likely be a problem eventually, but I think it would be good to let the actions of the community dictate what happens, as opposed to imposing limits now.....

nitro wrote:

Yes, but I know sometimes when I go to a forum and have just one question, seems like kind of a waste to make an account, I'll only use it once. I'm not sure about how many people actually come back each day to check on posts and actually assist others.

I agree with this entirely. If someone is just going to ask a question, follow that thread and leave, then it is a waste of bits to make them create an account.

nitro wrote:

Oh yeah, and if we require users to register they will be more likely to type an invalid email address and I end up catching the return to senders.

That too.....people who normally post as anonymous will generally not want to give out thier email addres just to ask a single question.

-T

Python Powerd Web Hosting
http://www.etria.com/
Webware, Zope, CGI, More on request...
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitro wrote:
I'm not sure about how many people actually come back each day to check on posts and actually assist others.

I do! Well, I try to... I have to admit, it's getting harder every day. :)

tvon wrote:
IMHO, there shouldnt be a need to require people to register unless anonymous abuse becomes a problem.

Make these words mine... :)
niyogi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guests seem to be okay since i often fall in the same boat as nitro when i go to a forum and would like to use it as a means to a simple end and don't want to have to register for just one post.

of course, with gentoo, it's to the person's benefit to become a registered member as this forum will become a primary source of knowledge while getting through the operating system installation and maintenance.

-S
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: