uclibc stage3 2010 [for embedded]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
judepereira
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: uclibc stage3 2010 [for embedded] Reply with quote

Hi, I've rebuild the stage3 for uclibc-gentoo-x86, as all the other stages everywhere are outdated, so if anyone would like to have it, head over to my blog post, http://judepereira.com/blog/gentoo-linux-uclibc-stage3-2010-for-embedded/

Now you can successfully build tiny gentoo.
judepereira
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[going embedded with mGentoo], my basic guide to have a mini gentoo install, all under 20MB, and at boot, only 3MB of RAM being used...
http://judepereira.com/blog/going-embedded-with-mgentoo/
fantomas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLazy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly what I'm looking for, following the instructions now :)
One issue I noticed is here:

Quote:

# begin the installation
# install necessary packages

The little syntax highlighting box cuts off the complete list of things to be emerge'd.
It might not be a big issue but I though I'd mention it.
judepereira
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLazy1 wrote:
This is exactly what I'm looking for, following the instructions now :)
One issue I noticed is here:

Quote:

# begin the installation
# install necessary packages

The little syntax highlighting box cuts off the complete list of things to be emerge'd.
It might not be a big issue but I though I'd mention it.

Ah, thanks, will work on that, you need to click the view source button, right at the top-right corner, the third button towards the left, and the source can be viewed directly...

Will definitely work on the syntax-highlighter stylesheet...
cynyr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: stage3 Reply with quote

Care to share how you made the stage tarball? I'm wanting one for x86_64, for a via nano board. There is almost 0 doc on using catalyst for "exotic" systems.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: stage3 Reply with quote

cynyr wrote:
Care to share how you made the stage tarball? I'm wanting one for x86_64, for a via nano board. There is almost 0 doc on using catalyst for "exotic" systems.

I concur. Documentation regarding how the stage3 tarball was made would be excellent. It could be adapted to other platforms that are in a similar state, such as the ARM chips used in the Linksys NSLU2.
judepereira
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty simple...
Take an existing gentoo install, of whatever arch you want to, and then all you have to do is ROOT=/newstage3 emerge baselayout, and all the other apps you need, that are there in a basic stage3. You'll definitely need uclibc, for embedded, baselayout uclibc bash dropbear pam udev iptables coreutils nano util-linux shadow kbd net-tools grep procps gzip sed findutils mawk htop.
That's what I basically need, takes care of all authentication and all.
Don't forget to emerge portage, and the necessary tools.

Would publish a record of doing this, as soon as I have a fast bandwidth, to download all the sources.

If you have any questions, you can go ahead and ask!
Cheers :D
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would probably help with:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-816789.html

It will need some minor adjustments, but if cross-compilation is possible with just a few switches, then I imagine it will make going forward with getting Gentoo on the NSLU2 much easier.

Edit: I just found the following:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml

This is making things much easier. :D
cynyr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

judepereira wrote:
It's pretty simple...
Take an existing gentoo install, of whatever arch you want to, and then all you have to do is ROOT=/newstage3 emerge baselayout, and all the other apps you need, that are there in a basic stage3. You'll definitely need uclibc, for embedded, baselayout uclibc bash dropbear pam udev iptables coreutils nano util-linux shadow kbd net-tools grep procps gzip sed findutils mawk htop.

So setup crossdev, set CBUILD, CHOST, CTARGET, ROOT, PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT and then emerge {LIST_OF_STUFF_NEEDED}, then simply tar and gzip ${ROOT} and host the resulting tarball, and unpack like normal?
judepereira
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynyr wrote:
judepereira wrote:
It's pretty simple...

So setup crossdev, set CBUILD, CHOST, CTARGET, ROOT, PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT and then emerge {LIST_OF_STUFF_NEEDED}, then simply tar and gzip ${ROOT} and host the resulting tarball, and unpack like normal?

Absolutely, I don't see why such an easy thing should ever be made more complicated than it already is...
cynyr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judepereira wrote:
cynyr wrote:
judepereira wrote:
It's pretty simple...

Absolutely, I don't see why such an easy thing should ever be made more complicated than it already is...

Well in my case, getting x86_64-gentoo-linux-uclibc via crossdev is proving to be quite a hassle. AHHA! got it, i needed to switch my profile uclibc/amd64 briefly. now that i have the cross toolchain installed, it works just fine set back to normal.

Last edited by cynyr on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynyr wrote:
judepereira wrote:
cynyr wrote:
judepereira wrote:
It's pretty simple...

Well in my case, getting x86_64-gentoo-linux-uclibc via crossdev is proving to be quite a hassle.

I am having the same trouble with armv5teb-softfloat-linux-uclibc.
cynyr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
cynyr wrote:
judepereira wrote:
cynyr wrote:
judepereira wrote:
It's pretty simple...

Well in my case, getting x86_64-gentoo-linux-uclibc via crossdev is proving to be quite a hassle.

I am having the same trouble with armv5teb-softfloat-linux-uclibc.

Are you getting errors about ld not being able to find -lc? if so, try changing your profile to one of the uclibc ones, "crossdev -t ${FOO}" and set it back afterwards.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issues are related to VFP instructions:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6301247.html#6301247
jowr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The uclibc stage3's are appreciated, saved me a giant pain in the ass that is the cross compile process. Thanks!
cynyr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Fixed uclibc for x86_64 on amd64 multilib. Reply with quote

So I finally managed to get uclibc + GCC working on my multilib amd64 install.
see https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=244892#c11
short answer, you need to unforce multilib for cross-x86_64-gentoo-linux-uclibc/gcc and then make sure that USE="-multilib" is set for cross/gcc.
TheLazy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Removed, doesn't fit topic]

Last edited by TheLazy1 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
cynyr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try "linux32 xmerge --root foo" although i thought catalyst was providing "${TARGET}-emerge" scripts that set the root and profiles and such up for you these days. You would still need linux32 to make your x86_64 cpu look like a x86 one.
TheLazy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: uclibc stage3 2010 [for embedded] Reply with quote

judepereira wrote:
Hi, I've rebuild the stage3 for uclibc-gentoo-x86, as all the other stages everywhere are outdated, so if anyone would like to have it, head over to my blog post, http://judepereira.com/blog/gentoo-linux-uclibc-stage3-2010-for-embedded/

Now you can successfully build tiny gentoo.

Good work on the stage3, instead though of making tinygentoo I just used it to build a uClibc based system for a P1 133 laptop.
There are only a few issues though which I can figure out, one being udev and the other being a bunch of warnings on login.

It does have a low memory footprint though and Xorg seems to work fine. :)
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for something like this last year. Ah well.
TheLazy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless something was totally wrong on my end, why did you not patch uClibc to work with udev?
I needed this patch before it would work.

Which, of course I have to do again since I had not learned my lesson about backing things up. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: