Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pappy's Kernel Seeds Part III<Closed. Please use new thread>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably could be made to happen, but I'm not a coder, so I can't say for sure. Learning to code is on my list of things to do when I get rich and can afford to go back to college to see how much more I know now than do my professors, or to learn...whichever.

If you can get others interested in the idea, or can find something to borrow from another distro that does this thing, then by all means, have at it. If you want to code it yourself, even better. I get the feeling though that this might be a more intense project than it appears to be on its face.

If you do decide to pursue this idea, start a new thread for it, and post that thread here so interested parties could follow your progress.

Cheers,
Pappy
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue,

There would be a huge maintainence burden keeping up with kernel changes and hardware database changes.

You should find that after you have made a seed and got it to work, migrating it to new kernel versions is fairly trivial.
Do you know what
Code:
make oldconfig
is for ?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem being making a "happy" kernel to begin with. Since I started messing with my i7 I haven't really made all my hardware happy at the same time, and it's getting worse rather than better.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, it's got a specific purpose. Back in the day, though, it took a short time to figure out what all the kernel options were for and whether they pertained to my system. Adapting the kernel to support all my hardware was the easy part. No longer I guess. I can read the help on every option and still get it wrong.

When I have time to mess with it again I'll start a separate thread for this.

Thanks.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the case, then send me what you have as a .config at the moment, your /etc/fstab file, and the results of lspci -n and cat /proc/cpuinfo, and I will set you up. Once that is done, you can then analyze it versus what you have...and along with the settings pages, you can figure out what works and what doesn't.

Please, when sending the .config, use pastebin.com. See my sig for the link.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some waiting, at last, the latest zen-sources kernel is out, albeit presently only available to those with the git archive. It hasn't hit portage, yet.

Lots of other things popped up today as well. I've uploaded .configs for 2.6.27.52, 2.6.32.20, 2.6.32-gentoo-r14, 2.6.34.5, 2.6.35.3, 2.6.35-tuxonice, and 2.6.35-zen1 in x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if to wish me a happy birthday, the hardened-sources folks came out with some new goodies today. I've uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r12, 2.6.32-hardened-r13, 2.6.32-hardened-r14, 2.6.34-gentoo-6, and 2.6.34-hardnened-r2 in x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

If anyone would like to wish me a happy birthday with cash, and find your name on the Above and Beyond Page as a result, that would make me a happy Pappy. http://www.kernel-seeds.org/donation.html If not, a happy birthday works, too.

Cheers,
Pappy
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah happy birthday Pappy :P
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Cheers,
Pappy
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy day!
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It's been a strange but interesting day. Just the kind of birthday I like...low key.

Cheers,
Pappy
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any ETA on a 2.6.35-gentoo-r4 x86_64 kernel seed pappy? or should i just grab the 2.6.35-gentoo-r2 one and let it use that, guessing there shouldnt be that many if any changes between it
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding a tool to help configure a first kernel for new hardware, two thoughts come to mind:

1. Since the lspci -n tool already gives you the input to the Debian database, and the database is already online, it should be a peice of client-side web-scripting birthday cake (!) to leverage that into a tool that just reports the drivers you need. It might even be posible to insert those into the config file before invoking make menuconfig or whatever tool you prefer.

2. Since you, Pappy, have expert knowledge on configuring kernels based on looking at several output files such as lspci -n, dmessg, etc., then it ought to be within the realm of possibility to build an expert system that does the same thing. A Knowledge Engineer would have to interview you (via forum, email, IRC, etc.) to do this, but it would help more than just the Gentoo community, as kernels are basicly the same everywhere in the entire Linux community. This would make a good summer intern project for next year, as it is too late this year to start such a thing. It could be written in CLIPS [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLIPS] or one of the many systems derrived from CLIPS. They are all open source. I will even propose a name for such a tool: since you are the Pappy, ie "father", then the image of yourself in the form of an expert system [http://www.elilabs.com/~rj/parable/index.html] should obviously be called SAVE_YOUR (as in whatever part of your anatomy you wish to save! Pardon the bad pun! :lol:)

BTW Since I haven't posted to this thread for a long time, the stupid forum software dropped it from my list of threads that I was following. Bad idea! :evil:

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to send out the public announcement since it was late, but yes, the new .configs for 2.6.35-gentoo-r3, and 2.6.35-gentoo-r4 are up and available as of now, at the main site. The failover site will be in flux for the next week or so, so it is advisable that my European fans use the main site for the next few days or so, until it gets back to normal.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mind is free to be picked by anyone who can use my knowledge to improve and expand the Open Software Community. I would be honored to help make this happen.

Good to see you back, Moriah.

Cheers,
Pappy
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Iowa working on a test stand for flight control computer software testing. I finally have a little bit of time to catch up on stuff. Last week I updated all my systems -- after of not doing it for a month! :oops:

The first tool, which would essentially automate the process of getting the driver information, should be an easy 1-night stand for me, one of these nights. Maybe this weekend, although I have corporate income tax returns to fill out as a higher priority. :evil:

I would *LOVE* to do an expert system to configure kernels! The original OPS expert system shell was written to develop the R1 expert system that configured DEC VAX computers. At the time, it was one of the most successful expert systems in existence. I envision something along the same lines for kernel configs, written in CLIPS, which is basicly an updated open source version of OPS. I don't know when I would have time, but it would be a great project.

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded the .configs for 2.6.32-gentoo-r15 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

The failover server is currently in transition, and my admin access is limited. The most current info is on the main site. I will let everyone know when the failover situation is fixed. My apologies for any inconvenience.

Cheers,
Pappy
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Pappy, you should do an another podcast with LinuxCrazy and you should talk about your kernel seeds and how you configure your kernel :P

I'm sure that David will love the idea :P
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel.org had another run of source code. I've uploaded .configs for 2.6.27.53, 2.6.32.21, 2.6.34.6, and 2.6.35.4 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy! This is the most productive kernel.org has been in a while. It keeps me busy.

Cheers,
Pappy

PS. Still working on connecting to the failover.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just no rest for the wicked this week. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.34-gentoo-r7, and 2.6.35-gentoo-r5 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Apparently, the latest zen-sources is available through their git only. Their page and gitweb haven't been updated in a few months or so.

If there's anyone from the zen crew, could you do an update for the latest zen sources ebuild? I have had one friend ask me where to get it. Since I have the git, all is well for me. If worst comes to worst, I'll put the version I have up on the site for those interested.

Any zen devs, hear my cry. Many yearn for your sources.

Cheers!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen sources has not heard yet, but tuxonice dropped by. I just uploaded the .configs for 2.6.35-tuxonice-r1 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a literal flood of new tuxonice sources today. There were also some sources released as well. Are y'all ready for this?

I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.30-tuxonice-r13, 2.6.32-gentoo-r16, 2.6.32-tuxonice-r14, 2.6.32-tuxonice-r15, 2.6.33-tuxonice-r5, 2.6.34-gentoo-r8, 2.6.34-tuxonice-r3, 2.6.34-tuxonice-r4, and 2.6.35-zen2 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

On the topic of 2.6.35-zen2, the version I got from the zen git still contained the 2.6.35-zen1 Makefile, even though it was listed as v2.6.35-zen2, and contained 1039 files different from v2.6.35-zen1. I decided to correct that Makefile enough so at least if the rest of it is right, and just the name was oopsed, the kernel would compile and work.

It did compile and work. So, as a service to those who also have the zen git, but feel like having a bit of fun at the zen devs' expense (all in fun, guys/gals...all in fun), you can use my Makefile. It is in the same directory as the zen-sources seeds. Maybe if the zen-devs get the humor, they might adapt it as a kernel name. I gave the suggestion for the meditating tux. I'm more than willing to share my Makefile source name idea, too.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have regained my connectivity to the failover, so it is now current.

Cheers,
Pappy
stuNNed2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: whoa minimalist turn is it? Reply with quote

Pappy,

I did a diff from an older seed of tuxonice kernel to 2.6.35-r1 and you've seemed to turn off quite alot of features say compared to your seed for 2.6.30-r11....

Are you taking a more minimalist approach nowadays, just curious.... Or are kernel features improving so that a lot of stuff can just be turned off by default minus device drivers.

lance(stuNNed)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a few months, minimalism is going to be the watchword.

I am finishing up the settings pages. That means I'm going to be redoing all the seed settings to reflect all that I have learned while making said pages. I've been slowly releasing the new settings with users who let me set up their kernels. So far, the new settings seem to be really on the mark. I know they are as far as my machinery is concerned. Other machines seem to be working with them as well. I say that because I haven't had anyone tell me the new stuff isn't right.

So keep an eye out. Good things are to come.

Cheers,
Pappy
stuNNed2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Minimalist is good imho. Reply with quote

Don't know if this will help with your kernel seed building:

http://hardware4linux.info/computers/sysinfo/4450/

Is my laptop box.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 5 of 24

Jump to: