Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pappy's Kernel Seeds Part III<Closed. Please use new thread>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
Interesting article. It should at least merit a warning. I don't know how popular those chips were, but I'm sure someone has one who is reading this.

Those chipsets are currently popular. The follow on chipsets are virtually identical. Having said that, I don't know if the problem is limited to specific members of the chipset family. For example: those with IGPs only? My particular problem child is an ATI 780G chipset combined with a Phenom 9600 {AMD3 socket 4 cores}.

The kernel appears to recognize the AMD C1E functionality:
Code:
arch/x86/kernel/process.c:                      set_cpu_cap(&boot_cpu_data, X86_FEATURE_AMDC1E);
arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.c: [X86_FEATURE_AMDC1E]             = "amdc1e",
arch/x86/include/asm/cpufeature.h:#define X86_FEATURE_AMDC1E    (3*32+21) /* AMD C1E detected */
arch/x86/include/asm/acpi.h:    else if (boot_cpu_has(X86_FEATURE_AMDC1E))
drivers/acpi/processor_idle.c:  if (boot_cpu_has(X86_FEATURE_AMDC1E))

As I read it, it has to do with turning off unneeded CPU cores. I think. Which implies there are no kernel settings involved.

Since I disabled the function in the BIOS, the system has been rock solid and there has been no funny behavior.

What's sad is I can't find the model number for this board. It's apparently written either on the back side of the board or where the CPU heatsink covers it. I'm trying to figure out if there is an updated BIOS which addresses this issue. It's just a tad difficult without the model number and I'm not ready to tear this system down just to it!
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
I've had some weird problems with the .34 kernels, mostly related to how it interacts with nvidia-drivers. I've also noticed that at times, the .34 kernel seems to have a lag in it which usually shows up when typing in firefox.
<chop>
Pappy

Any more information on this? I'm using the non-free driver and don't want to bother with .34 if it's going to blow up on me or give me any static. And does nv driver work better in this case?

Thanks.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the general issue is/was compilation failure. This is a fairly pandemic situation as kernel versions and nvidia-drivers (and some other stuff) tend to miss each other on the update trail at times.

If you can get the drivers to compile, the rest is generally in the bag. The only really "out there" thing is the latest few versions of nvidia-drivers for core-too (195.36.xx--ish) make the screen blank a few moments after logging in. I haven't checked this action, and don't know when it came in as the machine in question only shuts down and reboots on very rare occasions, such as kernel revision. I ignore it, no matter how disconcerting it is initially.

I may play with it later, but I'm going to set up a .35 kernel on my file/print server presently. I am moving to having them on all my machines. So far, so good.

Cheers,
Pappy
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dufeu wrote:
As I read it, it has to do with turning off unneeded CPU cores. I think. Which implies there are no kernel settings involved.

I'm beginning to think the whole area of 'cpuidle' is unstable. I'm currently monitoring this forum thread. For anyone looking to run 2.6.35 and has a CPU {such as Intel i7} which supports this type of CPU idle, this is relevant.

Pappy, I'm beginning to think a warning regarding BIOS settings to turn off AMD C1E and whatever the Intel equivalent is may be in order. Not yet, but for now I'm going to continue keeping my eyes open.
wisemanSSJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Pappy. Thanks a lot for the things you do!
Recently I've decided to compile my own gentoo-kernel. I configured it mannualy with the use of "make menuconfig". Of course, I'm newby at all this staff and these are simply my first steps. I don't pretend to tell that my kernel config is good, but I'm going from time to time to recompile it, updating the config of kernel.

So, to the topic: now I have some troubles! I suppose, the thing is in Udev or something like that. While starting Linux I see the announcements of mounting different things. The last entry I see is this thing: "Waiting for uevents to be processed". And then - the screen becomes absolutely black. As if it's turned off. The system doesn't pause for 60 seconds, but it absolutely freezes. I'm absolutely sure in this cause I left system in that state for 20 minutes and nothing changed. I tested it with generic kernel - everything booted fine. What in my kernel may result in such trouble?
Hope you'll help me, cause I really don't know where at least to look.

Btw, I've created the topic with my problem earlier and, after some simple tests (we made sure that the thing is in kernel), I was adviced to ask you.
So, here is my .config: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/247746/

Here is my lspci (I believe, it's necessary) :
Code:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9600M GT] (rev a1)
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
06:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): JMicron Technology Corp. IEEE 1394 Host Controller
06:00.1 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. SD/MMC Host Controller
06:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technology Corp. Standard SD Host Controller
06:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. MS Host Controller
06:00.4 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. xD Host Controller

In hope for your help, Sergiy (wisemanssj)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wisemanSSJ,

You have a lot of options in your kernel that you don't need but other than that, it looks ok.

You are using libata for your hard drives, which is good, the depreciated sysfs things, which stop udev in its tracks, are off. Thats good too.
How do you want to proceed, have help with fixing your kernel or start with one of Pappys seeds ?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
wisemanSSJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
wisemanSSJ,

You have a lot of options in your kernel that you don't need but other than that, it looks ok.

You are using libata for your hard drives, which is good, the depreciated sysfs things, which stop udev in its tracks, are off. Thats good too.
How do you want to proceed, have help with fixing your kernel or start with one of Pappys seeds ?

Hm. Guess, should better try to fix my kernel. I and my advicers in other topic at this forum are really sure that problem is with kernel (and testing with generic kernel, which was created on default .config, I believe, kind of shows that). Have any ideas? Would be really thankfull for any help you can give me.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wisemanSSJ,

Go through your kernel, looking for whole menus you can turn off.
Code:
[ ] SCSI low-level drivers  --->
is one, as you don't have any SCSI hardware.
Code:
[ ] Fusion MPT device support  --->
you don't have any of that sort of hardware either.
There are several other whole menus you can turn off. I don't think tis will solve the boot issue but it will make your kernel leaner and meaner and there will be less for others to sift through.

Use the search in menuconfig to find the options above, press /

The detail in this postis a little out of date but the four guidelines are still true.
This post will help you get rid of unwanted SATA/PATA low level drivers and keep only the SCSI and SATA menu items you need to boot.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
wisemanSSJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
wisemanSSJ,

Go through your kernel, looking for whole menus you can turn off.
Code:
[ ] SCSI low-level drivers  --->
is one, as you don't have any SCSI hardware.
Code:
[ ] Fusion MPT device support  --->
you don't have any of that sort of hardware either.
There are several other whole menus you can turn off. I don't think tis will solve the boot issue but it will make your kernel leaner and meaner and there will be less for others to sift through.

Use the search in menuconfig to find the options above, press /

The detail in this postis a little out of date but the four guidelines are still true.
This post will help you get rid of unwanted SATA/PATA low level drivers and keep only the SCSI and SATA menu items you need to boot.

Thanks! I'll try to make my kernel better according to your advice =) In what thread should I put my questions about the necessity of that or another thing if I can't find the answer in the recommended topics?

Anyway, if anyone can find in my kernel something that may result in such "Waiting for uevents to be processed" - bug -- I'll be very grateful! Can't proceed with my Gentoo because of it. Please, don't be...em...insensitive =)
Thanks!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wisemanSSJ,

If you choose to use one of Pappys seeds, post problems here. If you want to clean up your own kernel, start a new thread. in Kernel and Hardware.
This is really Pappys support thread.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An when you do, post the results of lspci -n and cat /proc/cpuinfo as well as your /etc/fstab. I'll collect the .config from here, and will send you the result in the new thread. Don't forget to post that thread here.

Cheers,
Pappy
wisemanSSJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, have created a new thread with necessary information about my system. Here it is : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6381277.html#6381277

Thanks in advance for your and NeddySeagoon's help.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's another kernel source bonanza! In an unexpected move, kernel.org pumped out some source today. The requisite gentoo-sources came on line as well. So, I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.27.50, 2.6.32.18, 2.6.33-gentoo-r3, 2.6.34.3, 2.6.34-gentoo-r4, 2.6.35.1, and 2.6.35-gentoo-r1 in x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

It's also coming up on my birthday, and anyone who gets the inspiration to shoot me a little happy birthday donation will gain lots of appreciation, and of course, a place on the Above And Beyond Page.

END SHAMELESS PLUG MODE

Cheers,
Pappy
iamben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news, the latest gentoo patchset has a patch to make xconfig use qt4
stuNNed2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: hitchhiker-sources Reply with quote

anyone ever try hitchhiker-sources? the developer isn't working on the project anymore and the latest kernel is -32-r1. the patchset is interesting, includes tuxonice, gentoo patchset, compile kernel with -march=native, reiser4 support, and other goodies.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day, another batch of code from kernel.org, another few new .configs. I've just uploaded fresh .configs for 2.6.27.51, 2.6.32.19, 2.6.34.4, and 2.6.35.2 in x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pappy, on what FS are you running right now ?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running reiserfs-3 on all machines, as well as an ext3 partition on my file server which holds extra large files.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two new gentoo-sources kernels showed up in my daily sync. I've uploaded .configs for 2.6.34-gentoo-r5 and 2.6.35-gentoo-r2 in x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any known issues with an i7 920 with nvidia and 2.6.34? And I think I'm going to try kvm with this one. Specs in the sig.

Trying to start over on the kernel, I haven't had a really comfy kernel for months.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None that I've seen. Don't forget to set for both multiple CPU's and hyperthreading...or you might not see all your processors.

Cheers,
Pappy
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<rant type="extra-whiny">

I hate the part about having to do my own features. It seems there should be a way to query the hardware and have all that set correctly for you automatically. It takes me hours to get through a kernel config, it should take a few seconds to get most of it.

It just goes to figure right? The hardware is a known quantity and software regularly queries it. The sites referenced to read your lspci and lsusb should be able to do that automatically, and turn on kernel options right? And your seeds give the stuff not directly related to hardware.

So there should be a way to get your base "seed" of what works for you, then apply hardware settings from an automatic query, and then tweak. I think you should be able to ignore step 3 in that process and have a reasonably good chance of having a pretty darn good kernel.

</rant>
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tuxonice party!!! Yeppers, three new tuxonice-sources packages means...

I just uploaded the .configs for 2.6.32-tuxonice-r13, 2.6.33-tuxonice-r4, and 2.6.34-tuxonice-r2 in x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue,

That sounds WAY too much like having Windoze scan a huge database to come up with all the needed drivers. I'm sure there would be someone in the Linux community to create such a thing, but I don't know that it's going to be happening...at least here in Gentoo land, any time in the foreseeable future. For all I know, such a thing might even exist even now. I'm so used to doing it the way I do it, I would have no need for such a thing anyway.

Setting up a seed not really that hard to do. Once you have the seed, the rest is really easy. I can get a .config set up in ten minutes or so, depending on how obscure or old the hardware is. I've spent a half hour or more on certain .configs because of ambiguous hardware, but that is a very rare situation.

Besides, it's good to know your machinery intimately. I know all my machines like the back of my hand.

Cheers,
Pappy
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all like Windows. That would be the genkernel IMO. Everything on. I'm talking about checking processor type and features, motherboard config and setting all that up. Then make sure only the drivers that make sense for you are in there. Assume you want all stable features that make sense for your hardware, and nothing else.

For that matter, your kernel-seeds instructions have you manually use a database to get exactly the sort of information I'm talking about. Why not automate that and then let the admin adjust for what he/she wants to adjust?

For that matter, I would consider doing this project myself except I'm not really a kernel wizard and don't have the databases.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: