recent PS3 Stage4 needed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andigentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: recent PS3 Stage4 needed Reply with quote

Hi,

does anybody have a recent gentoo well updated running?
It currently seems to be extremely difficult to get a PS3 running.

I tried for ages to work my way from the last livecd or stage4, but it always fails me.
Emerge(ing) breaks on too many steps. Be it the compiler, be it python / portage, ...

I stumbled my way through it, but ultimately failed just too many times.

I would truly appreciate if someone could create a recent stage4 and upload it somewhere.
Alternatively I could use sharing such as live mesh, live sync or any other system.

Kind regards,
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have a recent stage4, but I'd be happy to help you with any problems you're having getting it working.
ssvb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: recent PS3 Stage4 needed Reply with quote

andigentoo wrote:

I tried for ages to work my way from the last livecd or stage4, but it always fails me.
Emerge(ing) breaks on too many steps. Be it the compiler, be it python / portage, ...

Looks like you are a victim of one of the outdated ps3 gentoo related installation instructions. Try this one instead: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Sony_Playstation_3

The authors of outdated instructions are apparently dead long ago and can't bring them down. This is causing a lot of problems for gentoo ps3 newcomers (yes, they got me too :) ). Anyway, feel free to ask questions here if you get stuck.

edit: just submitted a bug here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332819
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're most likely running into bug #271367 when using the 2006 livecd.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=271367

I put in a request for a new livecd, but closed it once Sony ended support. That would fix the problem and add in some other features, like wireless networking in the livecd.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=306301

If you want to open it again.
ssvb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonlacon wrote:
... Sony ended support ...

That's not a good excuse for keeping gentoo livecd and PS3 related documentation and in such a horrible shape ;)

My guess is that there are quite a number of PS3 consoles around still capable of running linux. It was a relatively reasonably priced ppc/ppc64 hardware (various embedded boards are either very expensive or have pitiful performance and/or insufficient amount of RAM). So PS3 could be used by software developers for testing compatibility with big endian systems and other things. SPU cores are also kind of fun to play with. And it used to be able to run games as an additional bonus.

I expect that the support for PS3 in other linux distros may get rather bad very soon and the existing linux users will probably start moving to gentoo (which also happens to support alpha, ia64 and other weird hardware). So while the total number of PS3 linux users will most likely decrease over time, the number of PS3 gentoo linux users may actually increase. And as a result these new users need proper documentation.

PS. I have no intention of upgrading firmware on my PS3. And if I ever decide to get rid of it, I will try to pass it into good hands.
andigentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: recent PS3 Stage4 needed Reply with quote

[quote="ssvb"]
andigentoo wrote:

The authors of outdated instructions are apparently dead long ago and can't bring them down. This is causing a lot of problems for gentoo ps3 newcomers (yes, they got me too :) ). Anyway, feel free to ask questions here if you get stuck.

I followed the instructions - and it was so tiresome. When something goes wrong, it is pretty much "start from the beginning" again. They did not work for me. I tried various variants.

Are you running Gentoo on PS3 then? Then wouldn't it be very easy for you to post a stage4 tarball somewhere?
(Or is nobody running a stage4 anywhere?)
chiefbag
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be happy to send you a stage4 from my box but alas thanks to Sony's firmware I am no longer able to run linux
ssvb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: recent PS3 Stage4 needed Reply with quote

andigentoo wrote:

They did not work for me. I tried various variants.

That's not very descriptive. At what step does it fail for you?

Quote:
Are you running Gentoo on PS3 then?

Yes.

Quote:
Then wouldn't it be very easy for you to post a stage4 tarball somewhere? (Or is nobody running a stage4 anywhere?)

What are you going to do with this stage4 tarball? I think generic ppc/ppc64 stage3 tarball has all the basic stuff. It only needs some simple tweaks to get SPU toolchain working if you are interested in programming SPU cores, but I suppose that you did not even get to this point?
andigentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefbag wrote:
Would be happy to send you a stage4 from my box but alas thanks to Sony's firmware I am no longer able to run linux

thanks for your response - that is why I refuse to upgrade the firmware and I will not buy Sony products in the near future.
I used to buy a game almost every month.

Hope that anybody will step forward who is still running gentoo on PS3
andigentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: recent PS3 Stage4 needed Reply with quote

ssvb wrote:
andigentoo wrote:

They did not work for me. I tried various variants.

That's not very descriptive. At what step does it fail for you?

Quote:
Are you running Gentoo on PS3 then?

Yes.

Quote:
Then wouldn't it be very easy for you to post a stage4 tarball somewhere? (Or is nobody running a stage4 anywhere?)

What are you going to do with this stage4 tarball? I think generic ppc/ppc64 stage3 tarball has all the basic stuff. It only needs some simple tweaks to get SPU toolchain working if you are interested in programming SPU cores, but I suppose that you did not even get to this point?

When is the last time you tried to get from livecd the last stage3 to a working current set?
To be honest, I cannot tell you exactly where it broke because I made so many attempts - it broke in just too many places to be feasible. Be it python breaking because of the old kernel, or be it a newer kernel causing other problems.
Also note because of version dependencies to intermediate versions that are not being emerged anymore you cannot simply "upgrade" from the old stage3.

Let me as the other way around - Why wouldn't I want a recent stage4?
ssvb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: recent PS3 Stage4 needed Reply with quote

andigentoo wrote:

When is the last time you tried to get from livecd the last stage3 to a working current set?

It was two or three years ago. Also I did a fresh install on an external usb hard drive to get more hard disk space maybe just half a year ago, it was easy (but did not use livecd for that).

Quote:
Let me as the other way around - Why wouldn't I want a recent stage4?

Because based on what you say, it is likely livecd and the old kernel causing problems for you. The only problem with your stage tarball is that it is too new. I don't see how even newer tarball is going to help.

I can try to experiment with the livecd a bit to check what is the current state.

edit: you can also come to irc.freenode.net #gentoo-powerpc and ask for some help
ssvb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to check what's up with the ps3 installation instructions today. Now that I had a look at it, the instructions about kernel compilation are not very good (the part stating that you will need to enable some options in menuconfig, without specifying precisely what is needed). After a few attempts, I still could not build a kernel without initrd so that it would boot properly. I myself always used genkernel for kernel compilation earlier.

Just to make life of the other people easier, I have put some stuff for download here (hope it helps): http://ssvb.name/files/20101016-ps3/

The most important point is that gentoo works fine on playstation3. If it doesn't work for you, then you are just doing something wrong or using the wrong/incomplete instructions. Just don't give up. But realistically, a new ps3 livecd is needed.

2andigentoo: please provide some feedback regardless of whether you succeed or not.
ssvb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefbag wrote:

Don't give up, there might be some hope for you: AsbestOS PS3 bootloader released
kengrteen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: gentoo on PS3 Reply with quote

Downloaded from http://ssvb.name/files/20101016-ps3 the ps3-kernel and stage3 files. downloaded the most recent version of petitboot (white, 3.2M) from geoff and installed on my PS3.
formated a 4M USB stick with ext4 and untared the files to the stick and installed it on the PS3. However petitboot didn't find the USB stick, only my old YDL 6.2 on the HD. Tried Ext3 instead with
same results. It seems that petitboot loads the USB drive last after the YDL on the HD. I found Gentoo in /tmp/petitboot/sda/
ssvb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ext3 should work. Just /etc/fstab needs to be updated. Anyway, looks like it may be a good idea to try some different petitboot. All the attached devices should be detected (some of them a bit later than the others) and shown in the boot menu.
kengrteen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: PS3 stage 4 needed Reply with quote

petitboot now detects the gentoo code but can't boot it. petitboot is the most recent version (white, 2009/11/30)
ssvb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it say anything about what it does not like?
kengrteen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it just says kexec fails. I untared the files in a YDL folder and tried" kexec -l kernel --initrd=initramfs* --append=video=ps3fb:mode3" but kexec could not determine the file type of kernel* So I suppose that is the problem.
ssvb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. I'm still suspecting that something must be wrong with petitboot.
trigggl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this install recently. Just get the otheros.bld file here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-petitboot/otheros.bld

Follow the instructions for installing it here:
http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/petitboot/

Boot the LiveCD and do a normal PPC64 install making sure to follow the specifics here:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Sony_Playstation_3

Once I realized the stage 4 was useless and I was just using the LiveCD to boot, everything went real smooth. The one exception I did with the instructions above is that I changed the install to ppc64, not ~ppc64.

Here's one warning that maybe should be in BOLD RED in the instructions.
Quote:
WARNING: If you use an old LiveCD, do NOT perform any upgrade now. Wait until you have a recent kernel and booted it. Upgrading glibc will break python (and emerge is programmed in python).

If anyone is getting rid of their PS3, I know a lot of people that would love to have one that they can use for BOINC projects.
ssvb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trigggl wrote:

Here's one warning that maybe should be in BOLD RED in the instructions.
Quote:
WARNING: If you use an old LiveCD, do NOT perform any upgrade now. Wait until you have a recent kernel and booted it. Upgrading glibc will break python (and emerge is programmed in python).

Yes. Or just a new livecd could be used to solve this problem. Anyway, I'm glad that not everyone is so helpless :)

PS. ppc seems to work better than ppc64 on ps3
trigggl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried creating a LiveCD once. It didn't work out so well.

If a person isn't willing to follow some directions to get something installed, they're probably trying to install the wrong distro anyways.

Installing and booting the kernel before doing upgrades is probably a good practice to do even on traditional hardware.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: