Ruby and Rubygems is a mess on Gentoo!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zdavatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Ruby and Rubygems is a mess on Gentoo! Reply with quote

Sorry but Ruby and Rubygems is a mess on Gentoo. Can someone please help out here.

1. On one of my machines I got

zeno@zdavatz-eeepc ~ $ gem
gem gem1.9 gem18 gem19

2. On the other machine I can not install gem19 at all. I just got

~> gem
gem18

What is the best way to install Ruby1.8 and Ruby1.9 on the same machine on Gentoo' Also what is the easiest way to install gem18 and gem19 on the same machine on Gentoo.

Ruby1.9 is perfectly stable and should not be masked at all in Gentoo.

I am not new to gentoo.

Thank you for your Feedback.

Best
Zeno
zdavatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19" does not seem to work Reply with quote

Just to make myself more clear:

I set:

RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19"

in my

/etc/make.conf

and then I do:

sudo emerge rubygems

and the result is:

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1
* rubygems-1.3.7.tgz RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...
[ ok ]
* checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...
[ ok ]
* checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...
[ ok ]
* checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...
[ ok ]
* CPV: dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1
* USE: elibc_glibc kernel_linux userland_GNU x86
* ERROR: dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1 failed:
* You need to select at least one Ruby implementation by setting
RUBY_TARGETS in /etc/make.conf.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 47: Called pkg_setup
* ebuild.sh, line 1345: Called ruby-ng_pkg_setup
* ruby-ng.eclass, line 293: Called _ruby_each_implementation
* ruby-ng.eclass, line 283: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* [[ ${invoked} == "no" ]] && die "You need to select at least one Ruby
implementation by setting RUBY_TARGETS in /etc/make.conf."
* If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info
=dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1',
* the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv
=dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1'.
* The complete build log is located at
'/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at
'/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/die.env'.
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/work/rubygems-1.3.7'

>>> Failed to emerge dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1, Log file:

As far as I can tell Ruby1.9 is working more then fine, but the installation of
Ruby.19 is somehow not working.

Any hints are very welcome.

If I set

RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19"

only gem18 is installed.
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zdavatz

I have no idea about rubygems and gem, however, there are some 'hints' that come to mind.
Installing two versions is against emerge standard practices. I think the way to do it is by installing it into / as a slot, from seeing some updates doing some updating on my gentoo.
Gentoo's finest asset is its extensive documentation. Go to the wiki and look up portage practices and look up slots.

Also;

Code:

idella@gentoo64 ~/xen/xen-3.4-testing.hg $ sudo emerge -pv rubygems
 * Last emerge --sync was 89d 17h 45m 37s ago.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] app-admin/eselect-ruby-20100402  2 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-lang/ruby-1.8.7_p249  USE="berkdb gdbm ssl threads -debug -doc -emacs -examples -ipv6 -rubytests -socks5 -tk -xemacs" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.6  USE="-doc -server" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 -jruby (-ree18)" 279 kB

Total: 3 packages (3 new), Size of downloads: 281 kB

I'm due an emerge --sync, not the latest. However, you cited RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19" ; it appears you need these two other flags. As an exercise, I might try to install it, but the goal is to have two versions. I'll leave that to you.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with ruby on gentoo, but looking at the ruby-ng.eclass, it seems that there is a typo in this error message: The variable name should probably be USE_RUBY, not RUBY_TARGETS. (If I am right, I suggest you write a corresponding bug report since this will bite other people, too.)
wthrowe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ruby_targets_ruby19 use flag is masked, so the ruby19 entry in RUBY_TARGETS is ignored. You'll have to unmask it, but I've never had to unmask a use flag and am not sure how to do it. I'm sure someone will come along here and explain how, though.
zdavatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Ruby 1.9 Funtoo, Gentoo why not just unmask it? Reply with quote

I am also documenting this here: http://groups.google.com/group/funtoo-dev/browse_thread/thread/fd3d6f164df435cb
zdavatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Ruby 1.9 and Ruby 1.8 on the same Gentoo machine. Reply with quote

This is the full status of the error:

Over at Gentoo I got this advice to install Ruby-1.9:

> It is the total of FIVE commands you have to run:

> mkdir -p /etc/portage/profile
> echo "-ruby_targets_ruby19" >> /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
> echo "dev-lang/ruby:1.9" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
> echo "dev-lang/ruby:1.9" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
>> echo 'RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19"' >> /etc/make.conf

> and then install whatever you wants.

I done exactly as recommended above but it does not work.

"emerge rubygems" results in:

RubyGems installed the following executables:
/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/image/usr/bin/gem18

* Running install phase for ruby19 ...
/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/environment: Zeile
2603: -rrbconfig: Kommando nicht gefunden.
/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/environment: Zeile
796: setup.rb: Kommando nicht gefunden.
* setup.rb install failed
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 47: Called src_install
* environment, line 2653: Called ruby-ng_src_install
* environment, line 2471: Called _ruby_each_implementation
'each_ruby_install'
* environment, line 281: Called _ruby_invoke_environment 'ruby19'
'each_ruby_install'
* environment, line 310: Called each_ruby_install
* environment, line 796: Called die
* ${RUBY} setup.rb $myconf --destdir="${D}" || die "setup.rb
install failed";
* If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info
=dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1',
* the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv
=dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1'.
* The complete build log is located at
'/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at
'/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/environment'.
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/work/ruby19/
rubygems-1.3.7'

Does anybody a have suggestion towards the above error?

Best
Zeno

PS: Contrary to Gentoo I believe that Ruby-1.9 deserves to be unmasked
and and made easily installable side by side with Ruby1.8 - Ruby1.9 is
more then stable and more then ready. I think the people who are ready
for Ruby-1.9 deserve to install without any hassle of unmasking and
the errors that follow that.
zdavatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Ruby 1.8 and Ruby 1.9 on the same machine. Reply with quote

What is also really interesting is, that on another of my machines I got Ruby1.8 and Ruby1.9 installed with gem18 and gem19 side by side _WITHOUT_ any additional settings in /etc/make.conf. All I done was unmask Ruby-1.9 in

/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask/gentoo
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Funtoo does something else with Ruby ...
Anyway, I suggest you read Diegos blogposts about the progress on the Ruby front, and if you have any (specific) suggestions talk to him and the other devs working on ruby support in Gentoo.
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby and Rubygems is a mess on Gentoo! Reply with quote

zdavatz wrote:
Sorry but Ruby and Rubygems is a mess on Gentoo.

Please wait with calling things broken until we can fully understand the problem.

zdavatz wrote:

1. On one of my machines I got

zeno@zdavatz-eeepc ~ $ gem
gem gem1.9 gem18 gem19

2. On the other machine I can not install gem19 at all. I just got

~> gem
gem18

Could you post emerge --info for both machines?

zdavatz wrote:
Ruby1.9 is perfectly stable and should not be masked at all in Gentoo.

Feel free to file an enhancement bug asking to stabilize it. If you add a list of dev-ruby/* packages you have emerged on your system and are working fine for you that's actually a valuable contribution.

zdavatz wrote:
I am not new to gentoo.

Good. :D
zdavatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: emerge info desktop and laptop Reply with quote

On my laptop I just had to unmask Ruby.19 and all was fine. gem18 and gem19 installed side by side.

emerge --info from my desktop:

Portage 2.2_rc67-r2 (default/linux/x86/2008.0, gcc-4.4.3, glibc-2.11-r1, 2.6.35-rc6 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.35-rc6-i686-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_960_@_3.20GHz-with-gentoo-2.1.6
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 05:30:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.0_p35
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.1.10
dev-lang/python: 2.4.6, 2.5.4-r4, 2.6.5-r1
dev-util/cmake: 2.6.4-r3
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.1.6
sys-apps/openrc: 0.6.0
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.2
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.65
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.20.1
sys-devel/gcc: 3.3.6-r1, 4.1.2, 4.3.3-r2, 4.4.3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.6b
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.32
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-Os -march=pentium4 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /var/lib/hsqldb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/eselect/postgresql /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-Os -march=pentium4 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests distlocks fixpackages news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="de_CH.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j9"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X aac accessibility acl admin alac alsa ao apache2 berkdb boost bzip2 cairo cdr cgi cjk consolekit crypt ctype cups curl cxx dbus deprecated discouraged dri dvd dvdr dvdread encode filter flac foomaticdb gcj gd gdm gif gnome gpgme gpm gs gtk gtkhtml iconv imagemagick imlib immqt ipv6 java java5 java6 jfs jpeg lame lua mad maildir mime mmx modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mpeg2 mplayer mudflap mysql mysqli nautilus ncurses nls nptl nptlonly openmp openssh openssl opera pam pcre pda perl php png pop postgres ppds python qt-static qt3 qt3support quicktime readline realmedia regex rpm ruby sdl sdl-image sdl-sound sdlaudio session skins spl spreadsheet sqlite ssl svg sysfs tcpd threads thumbnail tiff tls tracker truetype unicode utf8 vhook vhosts vorbis wavpack webkit win32codecs wv wxwindows x86 xml xorg xterm xterm-color xvid zip zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

emerge --info from my laptop:

Portage 2.2_rc67-r2 (default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop, gcc-4.4.3, glibc-2.10.1-r1, 2.6.33-rc8 i686)
System uname: Linux-2.6.33-rc8-i686-Intel-R-_Atom-TM-_CPU_Z520_@_1.33GHz-with-gentoo-2.1.6
Timestamp of tree: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:25:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.0_p35
dev-lang/python: 2.4.6, 2.6.5-r2
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.1-r1
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.1.6
sys-apps/openrc: 0.6.0
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.2
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.65
sys-devel/automake: 1.9.6-r2, 1.10.2, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.20.1
sys-devel/gcc: 4.3.3-r2, 4.4.3
sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.10
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.32
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -mtune=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests distlocks fixpackages news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alac alsa berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr dvdread emboss encode exif extras fam firefox flac gdbm gif git google gphoto2 gpm gtk iconv ipv6 jpeg lame lcms ldap libnotify mad mikmod mng modules mouse mp3 mp4 mpeg mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf perl png ppds pppd python qt3support qt4 readline reflection ruby sasl sdl session smtp spell spl ssl startup-notification svg sysfs tcpd threads tiff tls truetype udev unicode usb video vim vorbis wavpack webkit wifi win32codecs x264 x86 xcb xml xorg xulrunner xv xvid zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga neomagic nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware voodoo" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY
zdavatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Diego is giving Ruby1.9 a hard time Reply with quote

I read Diegos Blog-Post.

Diego is really giving Ruby 1.9 a hard time. And the result will be that nobody will install the Ruby-1.9 via emerge but via source. I think Diego should grab a bit less responsibility and try to get out of the way to clear Ruby-1.9 for the people who want to install it.

Also: Why fight Ruby-Gems? That does not make sense. It is a waste of time. You are fighting something that the Ruby-Community wants. You want that the whole world uses emerge to install Ruby software. Well some people prefer gems to install Ruby-Software.

Your QA work is appreciated but do not let it get totalitarian.

We build our own Gem-Packages because we have many Ruby-Libraries that means we have many gem-packages of our own. By being as totalitarian as Diego rule wants it to be there is no more advantage over Ubuntu or Debian by Gentoo for a plattform that runs ruby.

Diegos solution is not practical. Something that is 100% save is never practical. Every user is responsible for his own machines.
zdavatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: ruby 1.9.1p243 (2009-07-16 revision 24175) [i486-linux] Reply with quote

Ok, my laptop runs:

ruby 1.9.1p243 (2009-07-16 revision 24175) [i486-linux]

my desktop runs:

ruby 1.9.2dev (2010-07-11 revision 28618) [i686-linux]

The desktop-version _does_not_compile if I set the

RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19"

in

/etc/make.conf

the result is the following:

/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/environment: Zeile 798: setup.rb: Kommando nicht gefunden.
* Call stack:
* environment, line 2655: Called ruby-ng_src_install
* environment, line 2473: Called _ruby_each_implementation 'each_ruby_install'
* environment, line 281: Called _ruby_invoke_environment 'ruby19' 'each_ruby_install'
* environment, line 798: Called die
* ${RUBY} setup.rb $myconf --destdir="${D}" || die "setup.rb install failed";
* If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1',
* the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1'.
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/environment'.
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/work/ruby19/rubygems-1.3.7'

>>> Failed to emerge dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1, Log file:

>>> '/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1:

* Call stack:
* environment, line 2655: Called ruby-ng_src_install
* environment, line 2473: Called _ruby_each_implementation 'each_ruby_install'
* environment, line 281: Called _ruby_invoke_environment 'ruby19' 'each_ruby_install'
* environment, line 798: Called die
* ${RUBY} setup.rb $myconf --destdir="${D}" || die "setup.rb install failed";
* If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1',
* the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1'.
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/temp/environment'.
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/rubygems-1.3.7-r1/work/ruby19/rubygems-1.3.7'

Best
Zeno
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby 1.8 and Ruby 1.9 on the same machine. Reply with quote

zdavatz wrote:
What is also really interesting is, that on another of my machines I got Ruby1.8 and Ruby1.9 installed with gem18 and gem19 side by side _WITHOUT_ any additional settings in /etc/make.conf. All I done was unmask Ruby-1.9 in

/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask/gentoo

This doesn't look like correct way of unmasking things. It should rather be /etc/portage/package.unmask.

Could you also post results of emerge -pv ruby rubygems on both of your machines? Please note that one of them uses an outdated 2008.0 profile. This is probably unrelated, but is also going to give you problems at some point.
Arthanis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similiar problem. I had ruby18 and ruby19 and also gem18 and gem19 running side-by-side, flawless. Actually, I usually brag how gentoo dealed with ruby and rubygems smoothly to my colleages, since they use macOS and ubuntu, all I needed to do is eselect ruby and everything was Ok. But recently I synced and updated, and it complained about rubygems being broken. So I cleaned it and reinstalled. The result is that now I have both ruby18 and ruby19, but the latter without gems (kinda useless).

Code:
 eselect ruby list
Available Ruby profiles:
  [1]   ruby18 (with Rubygems) *
  [2]   ruby19

If I
Code:
eselect ruby set 2
!!! Warning: Could not set gem symlink
It appears you do not have RubyGems installed for this profile.
If you need RubyGems, emerge dev-ruby/rubygems with the appropriate RUBY_TARGETS setting.

But if you check my /etc/make.conf
Code:
cat /etc/make.conf
 cat /etc/make.conf
CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
#CFLAG diferente por causa do Xen
#CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs"

CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
FEATURES="parallel-fetch"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
LINGUAS="en"
VIDEO_CARDS=" vesa nvidia"
ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics"
AUTOCLEAN="YES"

USE="7zip X aac acpi alsa bash-completion binary-drivers bittorrent cairo
     ccache cdaudio cdb cdr cdrom chroot custom-optimization cvs dbus dhcpcd
     dvd dvdr evdev fat flac ftp fuse glitz gtk hal hddtemp http id3 id3tag
     ipod javascript joystick jpeg jpeg2k lame laptop lm_sensors lzma macbook
     matroska menu-plugin mmx mozilla mp3 mp4 mpeg mpeg2 mplayer net nsplugin
     ntfs nvidia ogg opengl pango pdf qt3support rar realmedia ruby ruby19 sensord
     sound sqlite sse2 sse3 threads thunar usb v4l v4l2 vcd vorbis win32codecs
     x264 xcb xfce xinerama xvid xvmc zip -abiword -arts -berkdb -bluetooth
     -ffmpeg -force-reg -games -gnome -ipv6 -isdnlog -java -kde -nautilus -nls
     -oss -pam -pam_nuauth -qt3 -qt4 -sqlite3 -voodoo1 -voodoo2 -voodoo3
     -voodoo5 -zeroconf"

ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/home/claudio/Software/ebuilds"
NETBEANS_MODULES="apisupport  harness ide java j2ee nb ruby websvccommon webcommon groovy j2ee mobility gsf enterprise profiler"
RUBY_TARGETS="jruby ruby18 ruby19"
# -cnd -dlight -enterprise -ergonomics -groovy -identity -mobility -php -profiler webcommon"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.arcticnetwork.ca/ ftp://mirrors.tera-byte.com/pub/gentoo "
source /usr/local/portage/layman/make.conf

Also, following some hints in the forum and google, I also added a file /etc/portage/profile/use.mask containning:
Code:
 cat /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
"-ruby_targets_ruby19 -ruby19"

Even though I did all of that, I still get:
Code:
 eix -I rubygems
[I] dev-ruby/rubygems
     Available versions:  1.3.5!t ~1.3.5-r1!t 1.3.6-r2!t ~1.3.7!t ~1.3.7-r3!t ~1.3.7-r4!t {doc ruby_targets_jruby ruby_targets_ree18 ruby_targets_ruby18 ruby_targets_ruby19 server test}
     Installed versions:  1.3.6-r2!t(03:00:10 PM 09/07/2010)(ruby_targets_jruby ruby_targets_ruby18 -doc -server)
     Homepage:            http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubygems/
     Description:         Centralized Ruby extension management system

[I] virtual/rubygems
     Available versions:  0 0-r2 ~0-r3 ~0-r4 {ruby_targets_jruby ruby_targets_ree18 ruby_targets_ruby18 ruby_targets_ruby19}
     Installed versions:  0-r2(01:14:28 PM 09/06/2010)(ruby_targets_jruby ruby_targets_ruby18)
     Description:         Virtual ebuild for the Ruby gems tools

You see, although I have ehe correct RUBY_TARGETS and unmasked the USE flags, rubygems seems to ignore it. Any ideas? Here is my emerge info:

Code:
 emerge --info
Portage 2.1.8.3 (default/linux/x86/10.0, gcc-4.4.3, glibc-2.11.2-r0, 2.6.34-gentoo-r1 i686)
System uname: Linux-2.6.34-gentoo-r1-i686-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Duo_CPU_P7350_@_2.00GHz-with-gentoo-1.12.13
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:00:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:     4.0_p37
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.11
dev-lang/python:     2.6.5-r3, 3.1.2-r4
dev-util/cmake:      2.8.1-r2
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.13
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.6-r2
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.65
sys-devel/automake:  1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.20.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc:       4.4.3-r2
sys-devel/libtool:   2.2.6b
sys-devel/make:      3.81-r2
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.30-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb /var/lib/hsqldb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests distlocks fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.arcticnetwork.ca/ ftp://mirrors.tera-byte.com/pub/gentoo "
LANG="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage/layman/sabayon /home/claudio/Software/ebuilds"
USE="7zip X aac acl acpi alsa bash-completion binary-drivers bittorrent bzip2 cairo ccache cdaudio cdb cdr cdrom chroot cli cracklib crypt cups custom-optimization cvs cxx dbus dhcpcd dri dvd dvdr evdev fat flac fortran ftp fuse gdbm glitz gpm gtk hal hddtemp http iconv id3 id3tag ipod javascript joystick jpeg jpeg2k lame laptop lm_sensors lzma macbook matroska menu-plugin mmx modules mozilla mp3 mp4 mpeg mpeg2 mplayer mudflap ncurses net nptl nptlonly nsplugin ntfs nvidia ogg opengl openmp pango pcre pdf perl pppd python qt3support rar readline realmedia reflection ruby ruby19 sensord session sound spl sqlite sse2 sse3 ssl sysfs tcpd threads thunar unicode usb v4l v4l2 vcd vorbis win32codecs x264 x86 xcb xfce xinerama xorg xvid xvmc zip zlib" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en" NETBEANS_MODULES="apisupport  harness ide java j2ee nb ruby websvccommon webcommon groovy j2ee mobility gsf enterprise profiler" RUBY_TARGETS="jruby ruby18 ruby19" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS=" vesa nvidia" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
tracker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this has been quite the disappointment.

In reading Flameeyes' blog, I got the distinct impression that his primary focus shifted from not being responsible for a repeat of the Python3 roll-out, to being paid for volunteering on Gentoo. If I've learned anything about end-users in the OSS ecosystem, is that beyond our lazyness, we're cheap ;-)

Seriously though, whats wrong with just marking the entire thing as unstable, and letting the adventuresome users test it? In my own experiences, and in looking at this thread, that seems to be the common theme: Why can't I throw a single ruby19 switch and just have Gentoo do my heavy lifting for me? Don't worry about telling me that I shouldn't do something, or even about fixing gem dependencies; thats what I signed up for when I flipped that switch. I understand that there might be problems going down that road, the point of Gentoo is that we can go down that road in top gear.

Worst case, we just uninstall it, revert our single switch-throw, and go down the path of goodness and rightness.

Not to be confused with BitTorrent
funklord
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice as a gentoo user and ruby developer is to use whatever ruby is installed by default to get rvm and then use that to manage the ruby versions and gems you want. Its not perfect, but it gives a lot more fine-grained control over what you have installed, if that's important to you. I personally don't like to install software on my systems outside of portage, but I make an exception in this case.
svoop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funklord wrote:
My advice as a gentoo user and ruby developer is to use whatever ruby is installed by default to get rvm and then use that to manage the ruby versions and gems you want.

I fully agree. I've reached a level of frustration which caused me to ignore the system Ruby as much as possible and do the work with RVM. This sucks, but it sucks less.

I'd love to use an intelligent combination of Portage and Rubygems instead, but until the monopolistic approach of Portage is corrected in this matter, I don't see any other solution in the real world.

Compared to other Linux distros, Gentoo and Ruby could be a perfect match. Both are rock solid and plain sexy. *Please*, make it happen!
a3li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svoop wrote:
funklord wrote:
My advice as a gentoo user and ruby developer is to use whatever ruby is installed by default to get rvm and then use that to manage the ruby versions and gems you want.

I fully agree. I've reached a level of frustration which caused me to ignore the system Ruby as much as possible and do the work with RVM. This sucks, but it sucks less.

If you need even more flexibility than we offer, then sure, do that. But rvm is not a good way to provide something a whole system can depend on (ruby plugins for $software for instance). That's the main spot the ebuilds fill.
Quote:

I'd love to use an intelligent combination of Portage and Rubygems instead, but until the monopolistic approach of Portage is corrected in this matter, I don't see any other solution in the real world.

monopolistic approach of portage?

Quote:

Compared to other Linux distros, Gentoo and Ruby could be a perfect match. Both are rock solid and plain sexy. *Please*, make it happen!

Make all those gem authors write working tests, make them put precise dependencies in their gemspecs, have them fix their stuff (and the tests...) for 1.9 and we would be good, mostly.

So, should anyone of you have any actually constructive comments towards how we can make things suck less -- besides just stating that things suck or 'use rvm', shoot!
svoop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a3li wrote:
So, should anyone of you have any actually constructive comments towards how we can make things suck less -- besides just stating that things suck or 'use rvm', shoot!

Alright, here you go:

(1)
Package Ruby "as is", don't patch out Rubygems. This unbloats the ebuilds and makes them easier to maintain. Right now, the Ruby 1.9 ebuild is two security releases behind on p0 instead of p180. A simple version bump would do the trick, but the 009_no-gems.patch fails to apply.

(2)
Unmask Ruby 1.9 eventhough 4 packages don't install against it yet (according to bug 258239) and have these 4 ebuilds require Ruby 1.8 explicitly.

(3)
Enforce "--format-executable" (/etc/gemrc) to make sure binaries installed via "gem install" rather than "emerge" gets properly postfixed with 18 or 19 respectively. I'm using a patched version of eselect-ruby to make sure, it sets the symlinks of binaries installed via "gem install" as well. (Example: "eselect ruby rebuild" reviews all symlinks and fixes them if necessary. If you do "gem install yard", the yard19 has no symlink, but the above patched eselect would create yard19 -> yard for you.) Here's my ruby-eselect patch:

http://pastie.org/private/hvtcayqzbaspixy3b4dq

Despite the issues on both ends (Ruby and Gentoo), Gentoo is IMHO still by far the best distro for Ruby. No 24h after the latest Ruby 1.8 security update it already hits portage which is great. However, the Ruby community has (slowly) moved ot Ruby 1.9 and at least for me, more than 50% is now fully compatible. So fast patches for Ruby 1.8 are not good enough anymore.

Lastly: If I sound arrogant or ignorant, please accept my apologies. I'm frustrated, yes, but I'd like to help improve things - or at least understand them. But I have more insight and knowledge when it comes to Ruby than when it comes to Gentoo and Portage. Which is why I'm thankful for your work on the ebuilds eventhough I disagree on the smallprint.
a3li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svoop wrote:
a3li wrote:

Alright, here you go:

(1)
Package Ruby "as is", don't patch out Rubygems. This unbloats the ebuilds and makes them easier to maintain. Right now, the Ruby 1.9 ebuild is two security releases behind on p0 instead of p180. A simple version bump would do the trick, but the 009_no-gems.patch fails to apply.

Won't happen with the current situation. Rubygems does not have one central repository where work is done. They have their own repository as well as the copy in the ruby svn and only update the thing bundled with 1.9 every once in a while. That leads to outdated rubygems versions with bugs we might need to patch, so we can just as well have the thing separated. Again, this will only change if rubygems gets fully integrated into ruby/ruby's svn.
(The newer patchlevels of 1.9 also have more test failure than p0 which is the another reason why it wasn't bumped yet.)

Quote:

(2)
Unmask Ruby 1.9 eventhough 4 packages don't install against it yet (according to bug 258239) and have these 4 ebuilds require Ruby 1.8 explicitly.

Part of these things fail if ruby 1.9 is even just installed, so just requiring 1.8 is not a fix. Also, there is a rubgems (hooray) issue that needs fixing. My schedule is less full in the next weeks so I might have time to get that done eventually.

Quote:

(3)
Enforce "--format-executable" (/etc/gemrc) to make sure binaries installed via "gem install" rather than "emerge" gets properly postfixed with 18 or 19 respectively. I'm using a patched version of eselect-ruby to make sure, it sets the symlinks of binaries installed via "gem install" as well. (Example: "eselect ruby rebuild" reviews all symlinks and fixes them if necessary. If you do "gem install yard", the yard19 has no symlink, but the above patched eselect would create yard19 -> yard for you.) Here's my ruby-eselect patch:

http://pastie.org/private/hvtcayqzbaspixy3b4dq

That's a nice idea, though to be consumed with a bit of caution. For instance running 'rake', you'd expect it to be running with the same ruby version as currently selected as default. Same goes for all the other default ruby tools.
There's also been a PoC for a 'eselect gem' which does switch between available gem versions, it might be worth integrating interpreter switching into that.
Why don't you email that patch to ruby@gentoo.org where the rest of the team sees it as well?

Quote:

Despite the issues on both ends (Ruby and Gentoo), Gentoo is IMHO still by far the best distro for Ruby. No 24h after the latest Ruby 1.8 security update it already hits portage which is great.

Nice to hear.

Quote:
However, the Ruby community has (slowly) moved ot Ruby 1.9 and at least for me, more than 50% is now fully compatible. So fast patches for Ruby 1.8 are not good enough anymore.

oh, just 50%? ;) Sounds not like they *have* moved out, but are now *moving*.
50% working means 50% not working, and for having a stable system-wide ruby interpreter (which again is our main goal) is just not good enough.
svoop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a3li wrote:
Rubygems does not have one central repository where work is done. They have their own repository as well as the copy in the ruby svn and only update the thing bundled with 1.9 every once in a while. That leads to outdated rubygems versions with bugs we might need to patch, so we can just as well have the thing separated. Again, this will only change if rubygems gets fully integrated into ruby/ruby's svn.

That is in fact a problem which has to be resolved upstream. (Are you in contact with people upstream to fix this inconsistency, yet?) However, as you remove Rubygems in src_install, why is the no-gems.patch still necessary?

a3li wrote:
Part of these things fail if ruby 1.9 is even just installed, so just requiring 1.8 is not a fix.

If the presence of Ruby 1.9 alone causes problems then it's of course reason enough to mask. Yet of the four bugs tracked by 258239 only one (278012 - ruby-gnome2 eclass can only handle one ruby version) appears to fall into this category. And as ruby-gnome2 is now stable on all platforms, I guess this bug should be closed already.

Are there more such blockers?

a3li wrote:
Quote:
Enforce "--format-executable" (/etc/gemrc) to make sure binaries installed via "gem install" rather than "emerge" gets properly postfixed with 18 or 19 respectively. I'm using a patched version of eselect-ruby to make sure, it sets the symlinks of binaries installed via "gem install" as well.

That's a nice idea, though to be consumed with a bit of caution. For instance running 'rake', you'd expect it to be running with the same ruby version as currently selected as default. Same goes for all the other default ruby tools.

That's the case already as "eselect ruby set ..." executes a "eselect ruby rebuild" after the switch. Still, the patch is just a "works for me" solution, so yes, it definitely needs a code review.

a3li wrote:
Why don't you email that patch to ruby@gentoo.org where the rest of the team sees it as well?

Will do. I mentioned this idea a long while ago on gentoo-dev (if I remember right).

a3li wrote:
There's also been a PoC for a 'eselect gem' which does switch between available gem versions, it might be worth integrating interpreter switching into that.

I'm not sure I understand. By convention, binaries from gems are mere wrappers, so they should be the same across all versions of a gem. What would be the purpose/benefit of "eselect gem"?
svoop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem with unbundling gems that usually come with Ruby 1.9:

Webapps (in my case a bare Locomotive site) rely on the bundled gems and don't list gem in the Gemfile. A notorious one is the racc gem. The quick fix is to install the racc gem explicitly and then include it in the Gemfile. However, a3li, do you see a way to install the normally bundled gems in a way which makes it obsolete to touch the Gemfile?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: