View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killerchronic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: KDE Fun Reply with quote

Ok firstly this is not me asking for help, i know why this is happening and how to fix it. However i find it kind of silly.

Code:
 * WARNING! Your system configuration contains neither "kde-base/kdebase-runtime-meta"
 * nor "kde-base/kdebase-startkde". You need one of above.
 * With this setting you are unsupported by KDE team.
 * All missing features you report for misc packages will be probably ignored or closed as INVALID.

While installing kde-meta using the "emerge-av kde-meta" "kde-base/kdebase-startkde" is one of the few last packages to get installed, thus about halfway through and for almost the rest of the emerge process that message appears after almost each and every package. I understand that i wouldn't be supported if i didn't install either, but it is in the emerge, just hasn't been done yet. Installing it by itself cures said message and no more spam appears.

But is there a reason why its not installed earlier on?
I am one to read each and every package message after an emerge and this fills up alot of space when emerging 400+ packages for kde lol

Only really noticed cause i've setup 6 different computers with gentoo+KDE in the last few days.

Anyway as i said its not a real issue, just curiosity (dont mention the cat ;) ).

Regards

Killer

Edit: sorry if this is in the wrong section, its not an error or help request so i figured chat was the best place, if i'm wrong please move :)
rh1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a shot at answering.
I believe that kde-meta, startkde, ect.. get installed last because they are not actually a package. Just an easy way to pull in all the packages you need.Basically kde-meta depends on all the packages you need for kde. I don't think it could be installed before hand because if one of the packages fails along the way, it wouldn't have all the dependencies it needed. I hope that make sense.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rh1 wrote:
I believe that kde-meta, startkde, ect.. get installed last because they are not actually a package. Just an easy way to pull in all the packages you need.Basically kde-meta depends on all the packages you need for kde. I don't think it could be installed before hand because if one of the packages fails along the way, it wouldn't have all the dependencies it needed. I hope that make sense.

You are right, on my box startkde was the last package that was emerge.
Ormaaj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having all the nice KDE integration comes at the cost of modularity I guess. If you want a KDE program, you have get it all.
Killerchronic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rh1 wrote:

Hadn't thought about it being just an easy way to pull in the required packages. I use kde-meta as most of the time i don't need the full blown kde install and anything i do need i can install at a later date. As i say was just something i found odd, i know the packages prior to start-kde don't have a 6th sense and know it is getting installed and just run off what is currently in the system. It just seemed a weird way of doing things if packages will put out error messages each time they don't find it.

Anyway easily solved on a big emerge just by copying the whole log to a word processor and using find and replace. Just curious :)

Cheers

Killer
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, this is how I installed KDE the last time :
Code:

time emerge -fv kdebase-meta kde-l10n kmix kdeplasma-addons kcalc konqueror konversation amsn amsn-skins k3b audacious smplayer ark ksnapshot conky acroread openoffice-bin mozilla-thunderbird gimp www-client/chromium adobe-flash gecko-mediaplayer vlc ktorrent kate
Varsuuk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killerchronic wrote:
rh1 wrote:

Hadn't thought about it being just an easy way to pull in the required packages. I use kde-meta as most of the time i don't need the full blown kde install and anything i do need i can install at a later date. As i say was just something i found odd, i know the packages prior to start-kde don't have a 6th sense and know it is getting installed and just run off what is currently in the system. It just seemed a weird way of doing things if packages will put out error messages each time they don't find it.

Anyway easily solved on a big emerge just by copying the whole log to a word processor and using find and replace. Just curious :)

Cheers

Killer

I just had this happen (and a more perplexing issue with GNOME :( at: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-837691.html - in the off chance that any of you gurus are erm...bi-GUI ;) ) and didn't try starting up untill I looked into if it was spam or a real problem.

From what I take from here, it is fine - it should warn that if you do not EVENTUALLY emerge one of those, you will have an issue.

But - I was confused by what ppl wrote here vs the KDE HowTo: it was stated that kdebase-meta was the "full" one and kde-meta was "just what I need" or something ;)

Since hard drive space is relatively cheap and it has been too long since I chose kde packages (like 3+ years ago when they created separate metas) I picked what I thought I read was "all" for the first time.

Any clarificaion on my "spam" conclusion or the kde vs kdebase-meta as the start point? The last thing in my emerge log was kdebase-startkde (didn't get: kdebase-runtime-meta)

Thanks!
Link31
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ormaaj wrote:
Having all the nice KDE integration comes at the cost of modularity I guess. If you want a KDE program, you have get it all.

This is what upstream recommends. Actually, KDE still works (almost?) perfectly even when this package and the packages it pulls in are not installed: I use this setup since KDE 4.3.

Gentoo users usually don't like unnecessary dependencies, especially when these dependencies are as huge as the whole kdebase-startkde platform. So the kdebase-startkde package was not added as hard dependency in most KDE ebuilds (it is still a dependency of kde-meta though) and this is why Portage does not have to install it before any other KDE package. There is still a warning message left to tell you that this setup is unsupported, but that's the "cost of modularity" ;)

Since Portage does not seem to provide a way - other than useflags - to add "soft dependencies" to ebuilds (dependencies that would be resolved from the list of currently merging packages), I don't think this message can be avoided.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: