Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcyoung wrote:
In the event that this subject is still read --I note the last date is 2006!

I use e16 all the time and wouldn't change, but I do miss a direct command line such as that given in kde by alt+f2. It means I must always open up a terminal if I want a command that is not in one of my menus (which I like to keep small)

Does anyone know of an applet or other way of implementing this ?
You can always set up something like this:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-762962.html
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcyoung wrote:
I use e16 all the time and wouldn't change, but I do miss a direct command line such as that given in kde by alt+f2. It means I must always open up a terminal if I want a command that is not in one of my menus (which I like to keep small)

Emerge the epplets package. This will install a bunch of little epplet commands in /usr/bin. They all start with "E-". The one you want is E-Exec. If you regenerate your menus (Maintenance --> Regenerate Menus) then an "Epplets" menu should be created for you. You should copy bindings.cfg as suggested in the original post and then add (in the "Aclass KEYBINDINGS global" section) something like:
Code:
KeyDown  A  F2  exec E-Exec

Use "Restart" to put this new binding into effect. You will have to also remove the existing line that maps Alt-F2 to switching to desktop 1 (the 2nd desktop). Or you could change your E-Exec launcher to something like Ctrl-F2 instead of Alt-F2.

BTW: I emerged lxtask (a lightweight task manager) and added this line to bindings.cfg:
Code:
KeyDown   C    Escape exec lxtask

so Ctrl-Esc brings up a task manager (a la KDE).

Edit: If you use a theme other than "winter" then you will need to copy over some stuff from the winter theme to the theme you are using for epplets to work. Copy the epplets directory and then edit fonts.theme.cfg and imageclasses.cfg adding all the epplet lines from the same files from the winter theme. Before you go to this trouble, first just switch your theme to winter in order to test drive the epplets. I don't use them because they are miniscule on my high dpi screen. There's probably a way to enlarge them (probably in the config stuff that got copied over) but I haven't figured it out yet.
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: epplets Reply with quote

My thanks to BitJam. I had rather given up on the epplets, since being somewhat elderly my eyes are not what they were, and they are all so small I found it almost impossible to read the text on most of them.

I have another problem that I could do with some help on (I haven't found much help for e16 ons the web and it's various forums). I had the program 'basket' set up to autostart on logging in, but as there is no kde4 version and Gentoo no longer support it, I had to remove it from my system. E16, however still wants to autoload the program when I log in, and I can't find out how to prevent this. I have 'grepped' and 'grepped' all over the place to find out where e16 is told to load the program, but with no success. One would expect it to be under ~/.e16/Start but it isn't.

Any help on this would be appreciated, since I'm getting tired of having to press F1 to get rid of the error box that comes up every time I log in
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the "Settings" dialog there is a button on the left called "Remember". This will get you to a list of programs e16 is remembering. Each one has a checkbox on the left in a column marked "Delete". Just check the box for the program you want e16 to forget and then hit "OK".

The ~/.e16/{Start,Stop,Init} directories are for *user* scripts to be run when e16, starts (or restarts), stops, and when it starts up for the first time (Init). The e16 WM stores its "Remember" information in the file ~/.e16/e_config--0.0.snapshots (the 0.0 refers to the X-Windowse display). You should probably not edit this file when e16 is running.

You might want to take a look at the eesh program that is part of e16. It is a command line interface to e16. The commands "eesh help" "eesh help all" and eesh help full" will tell you all about it. I also suggest you:
Code:
$ cd /usr/portage/x11-wm/enlightmentment
$ sudo ebuild unpack enlightenment-1.0.2.ebuild unpack

and then as root navigate to:
Code:
 # cd /var/tmp/portage/x11-wm/enlightenment-1.0.2/work/e16-1.0.2

In the sample scripts directory there are some cool scripts showing some of the power of eesh. In the docs directory is a copy of the e16 documentation in HTML format. If you've installed edox-data, this is the same information you get from the edox program but with readable fonts. The bouncingball.pl script requires the usleep program. My copy of usleep came from the splashutils package but it was buried in the /lib/splash/bin directory. I copied it from there to /usr/bin.

HTH.
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: E16 Reply with quote

More thanks due to BitJam.

Someone should write "The Extended Guide to Enlightenment" ! I'm quite a fan of e16 because of the quality of the qraphics, menus on the mouse, and its simplicity, (I don't like a cluttered desktop). But most of the limited available information refers to E17, which is too complex for my tastes.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an assortment of documentation over on the EtherDox project.
Walter Prooff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
There is an assortment of documentation over on the EtherDox project.

Hi there!

I am quite new to E16 which I would like to use as default wm, and I would like to know how to auto-start apps that work in the background (eg. xscreensaver) and cannot be started via their window menu ("Remember" option). Would it be possible to get an example of a startup file and to have a detailed process of the things to do. I have been searching for some time, but there is nothing about this at EtherDox or anywhere else. All the docs are mainly about E17 (which is just as plain as other DE or WM, with nothing special vs E16), so, meanwhile, I am using fluxbox as default wm...

I just found the following somewhere, I don't remember where: ':roll:'

* create ~/.e16/ {Start Stop Init} Folders
* enable user session scripts in e16 menu -> Session settings
* create a link/script in one of the folders

Thanks in advance
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got the correct instructions.

I put my start up script(s) under the Init directory. These get run when e16 starts up. The scripts under the Start directory get run more frequently. For example, they run when e16 is "restarted" (via the Restart menu entry). Scripts that end in .sh are run in the foreground, in other words e16 waits for them to finish before it continues. All other scripts are run in the background. You can take a look at /usr/share/e16/scripts/session.sh which is the script the calls your scripts.

If you try to use the eesh program (which gives you command line access to the e16 IPC) in a script that runs in the foreground then e16 will lockup. I wrote my own logout script that allows you to use eesh inside of scripts that are run in the foreground. Here is the script in case it is of interest for you.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

EXIT_MODE="$1"

dir="$HOME/.e16/Logout"

for f in "$dir"/*
do
   if [ -x "$f" ]; then
      case "$f" in
      *~)   # Assume this is crap - skip
         ;;
      *.sh)   # Scripts are executed in foreground
         "$f"
         ;;
      *)   # Anything else is executed in background
         "$f"  &
         ;;
      esac
   fi
done

case "$EXIT_MODE" in
    shutdown)
        chvt 1
        eesh exit exec /sbin/poweroff
        ;;
    reboot)
        chvt 1
        eesh exit exec /sbin/reboot
        ;;
    *)
        #chvt 2
        eesh exit
        ;;
esac

This script DOES NOT go in the ~/.e16/Stop directory. Just put it somewhere on your path and call it with menu entries like:
Code:
" Logout "     NULL exec "e16-logout"
" Reboot "     NULL exec "e16-logout reboot"
" Shutdown "   NULL exec "e16-logout shutdown"
" Never mind"  NULL "nop"

Make sure normal users are allowed to use the reboot and poweroff commands.

I also added the following menu entry:
Code:
"Edit Init"            NULL exec  "gvim -p $HOME/.e16/[A-Z]*/*"

which lets me edit all the scripts with just one click. I added the Logout directory due to the blocking problem I mentioned above.
Walter Prooff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much BitJam for your lightning-fast answer.

I did not imagine that would be so complex. So I guess some notions about shell scripting are required??? '8O'
I'm afraid I don't have any, but I will not give up yet... So I'm going to look further into this...

Thanks again BitJam!
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that. It doesn't have to be so complex. To start xscreensaver all you have to do is:
Code:
$ mkdir ~/.e16/Init
$ cd ~/.e16/Init
$ $EDIT startup
$ chmod a+x startup

Replace $EDIT with the name of the editor you like to use. Here is what the startup file should look like:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

xscreensaver &

That's it. You can add other programs you want to start. Just put the commands in like you would type them on the command line and then put an & at the end of the line. You can test the script by running it from the command line:
Code:
$ ~/.e16/Init/startup
Walter Prooff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks a lot BitJam, it works like a charm! ':D'

Now I just have to find suitable apps to handle wifi, blutooth, battery and to (un)mount drives - and I will be able to finally use E16 as my default desktop.

Many Thanks again!
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What drives do you need to unmount? I use the pcmanfm file manager as my file manager and to mount/unmount removable usb drives. I believe the newest version can also be used to mount/umount all partitions.

You can try wicd for wireless. It is lightweight and easy to use. It may not work, but if it does, it is a good solution.
Walter Prooff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BitJam

I intend to use E16 on my netbook - and probably on my oooold desktop pc - so I just need the basics. I know, it would be easier to use Gnome (slow) or lxde or something like Linux Mint Fluxbox CE with everything already set up, but... :roll:

For the network,I would like something like the Gnome applet so that I could shutdown wifi or network when necessary with only one click. Same thing for bluetooth.

I also like to have some applet that handles power management (battery and screen), though I don't really need much advanced options as I scarcely use anything else than the standard shutdown dialog in E16.

As for mounting drives --> usb external harddrives, usb keys, external dvd burner, local dvd drive.. . I have tried Thunar daemon (seems to conflicts with E16 epplet (E-Mount something???)) seems to work fine although I have to do some tuning to use other apps than the defaults.

For managing the sound I find E-Mixer epplet a little limited... compared with aumix or any other - but I think I will stick to it.

In fact, I would like to have those apps running from and sit in e16 systray...

Now, I will try wicd... :wink:
Walter Prooff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried WICD but no easy mouse-click options to shutdown wifi or network like network-manager-applet in gnome. :cry:
I will look for something else.........................
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Walter, I just installed wicd. I had the gtk USE flag enabled and it installed a wicd-gtk client. I followed the wicd instructions, shut-down all net.* services except net.lo and added them to to RC_PLUG_SERVICES in /etc/conf.d/rc:
Code:
RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.eth0"

(I only had net.eth0).

I started up the wicd service:
Code:
# /etc/init.d/wicd start

It gave me an error message the first time I started it so I stopped it and started it again, this time without error.

I then ran the wicd-gtk client (wicd-client seems to do the same thing). It put an icon in the system tray in my lxpanel. I suggest using lxpanel (or some other app with a system tray) even if you only use it for the system tray. I found the e16 tray to be slightly unreliable. A mouse-hover over the icon lists current connections. A right-click on the icon gives me a tiny menu that allows me to connect disconnected networks (but not disconnect connected ones). If I left-click on the icon, a window pops up that lets me disconnect and connect networks and allows me to set preferences.

Connecting or disconnecting a network takes a total of two clicks. I thought this is what you were looking for.
Walter Prooff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, but I am afraid I did not look closely enough on that one, so I will be trying again. The icon showed up in e16 systray though. In fact I would like to try to shutdown the wifi device, not only disconnect from wifi, I'm not sure wicd can do it. Will check...:oops:

I choose kmix as volume control for it seems to work fine - shows up in systray, works with 'fn' keys :D , easy access to mixer - though it may not be the best choice. I also tried 'volumeicon', works fine too.

I have tried 'xfce4-power-manager' - works when lid is closed and reopened (but i just discovered that xscreensaver does that too). Is there any risk of conflict between the two? One drawback though, no icon in the systray.

[EDIT]
Ooops...
I have added "thunar --daemon &" [and not 'thunar-volman &] to the startup file in Init. Works fine, with pop(up messages when umounting or ejecting drives (usb, cd).
Walter Prooff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BitJam, I finally settled for nm-applet from the network-manager pkg, and it works fine out of the box! :D Now, I just have to find something similar for tthe bluetooth and finally I will be able to use E16 as my main WM... Unless something else is missing??? :?:

NB: All these work fine in Fluxbox too (and I guess in all *box wm (not checked)).
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo Bluetooth Guide seems to suggest that you go with Gnome Bluetooth The other option was KDE based. You probably have most of the gnome dependencies installed (for nm-applet, if nothing else).
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Basket Reply with quote

I stated earlier that kde4 had removed the "basket" program. I note now that it has been reinstated within kde4. I have found it to be useful with e16, since it can be autostarted and tucked away in the system tray. Web pages and programs can be started from it.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've copied /usr/share/e16/config/bindings.cfg to ~/.e16 so I can create custom key and mouse bindings. I also heavily customize my menus and my Init/Start/Stop files. I added the following entries to my desktop menu to make it easy to change any/all of the above:
Code:
"Edit Menus"           NULL exec  "gvim -p $HOME/.e16/menus/"
"Edit Init"            NULL exec  "gvim -p $HOME/.e16/[A-Z]*/*"
"Edit Key bindings"    NULL exec  "gvim $HOME/.e16/bindings.cfg"

This has been really handy. You may have to change things around a little if you use a different editor.
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip : all commands available through essh are exported through D-BUS now, and introspection is supported.
Walter Prooff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
The Gentoo Bluetooth Guide seems to suggest that you go with Gnome Bluetooth The other option was KDE based. You probably have most of the gnome dependencies installed (for nm-applet, if nothing else).

Hi BitJam!

I'm sorry for this very very late answer. I followed your suggestions and everything works fine now.

I wanted to thank you for your time and very precious help.

Regards.

[edit] I have gathered all your instructions in a single sort of "Howto" while I was testing them. With your permission I may post it or make it public if it is of any interest unless this is already done (probably). Please let me know...
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Prooff wrote:
I have gathered all your instructions in a single sort of "Howto" while I was testing them. With your permission I may post it or make it public if it is of any interest unless this is already done (probably). Please let me know...

Please do! There are also some tips in this thread.
Walter Prooff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: E16 – Auto-started Applications Reply with quote

E16 – Auto-started Applications

As promised, here are a few steps to follow in order to start apps that won't auto-start using the e16 way!

In order to start applications working in the background (screensaver, mixer, etc...) automatically on E16 startup...

1. Create the following folders : 'Start', 'Init', 'Stop', in ~/.e16.
~/.e16/Init
~/.e16/Start
~/.e16/Stop

2. In ~/.e16/Init, create a file named 'startup'.

3. Edit the newly created file which should look something like the following example :

Code:
#!/bin/bash

xscreensaver &
thunar –daemon &
kmix &
nm-applet &
korgac &
gdescal &

Save and close the file.

4. Open a terminal in ~/.e16/Init and type the following command as normal user :
chmod a+x startup

5. Before restarting E16, test the script. Type in a terminal the following command as normal user :
~/.e16/Init/startup
All the applications listed in 'startup' should now be started.

6. Enable user session scripts in e16 settings menus : 'Session Settings'.

7. Logout and login again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The terminal way...
$ mkdir ~/.e16/Init
$ cd ~/.e16/Init
$ $ EDIT startup # replace 'EDIT' by any other text editor
$ chmod a+x startup

 Do not forget step #6.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources :
<http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Autostart_Programs#Enlightenment_DR16>

☺ Many thanks to Bitjam for his precious help!!!
imaginasys
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcyoung wrote:
I do miss a direct command line such as that given in kde by alt+f2. It means I must always open up a terminal if I want a command that is not in one of my menus (which I like to keep small)

Does anyone know of an applet or other way of implementing this ?

Simple use Omni. There is a shortcut for it (in E17) : alt+esc

Personally I find E17 very stable and mature now. You should try it!

regards,

BT :mrgreen:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: