Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
power management in recent kde/gnome (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: power management in recent kde/gnome (solved) Reply with quote

Hi all,

i was wondering : does power management work for anyone here in recent kde4 or gnome-2.3x versions ?
I mean, i tried kde4 and gnome-2.30.x in my powerbook and none of these knows f.ex. what a battery is.

As this happens in both kde and gnome i think that maybe i´m doing sth. wrong here.

TIA

Last edited by gringo on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use KDE or Gnome, but I would be surprised if both KDE and Gnome were broken. Some possibilities:

• Did you enable battery under ACPI in the kernel?
  • If you compiled it as a module, did you modprobe it before KDE/Gnome started?
  • Did you compile everything with the ACPI use flag set?

gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a powerbook, so no ACPI but PMU (and APM emulation).
It worked out of the box at some point not too long ago and i don´t think i have made any relevant changes.
The thing that bugs me is, like you say, that it doesnt work at all apparently, which makes me think that i´m doing sth. wrong.
Looking to what the apmd daemon does (or through the command line) it doesn´t look like any events are triggered _at all_ ... and i have no idea why nor where to start to debug ...

thanks anyways :-)
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gringo wrote:
this is a powerbook, so no ACPI but PMU (and APM emulation).

Ah, my bad.

gringo wrote:
[...]it doesn´t look like any events are triggered _at all_ [...]

And the emulation is modprobed/built in? Hm. Have you rebuilt any of apmd's dependencies lately? If so, you might need a revdep-rebuild (or maybe just a recompile of apmd).
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always build all the power managment stuff into the kernel, so yes, apm emulation is in the kernel.
I *think* that maybe the issue comes from the apmd and powermgmt-base collissions, maybe the wrong file got installed.
There are several bugs open already about this issue ( like this one) without any apparent solution for apm users.

But in any case im not sure this is related or not and i have very limited access to this lappy ( its my wifes one actually) so that i don have much time to test and debug.

cheers
potuz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gringo, I'm not sure if I am getting the right meaning to your question, but just in the hopes that it might give you some info I can tell you that on gnome 2.26 (admittedly no recent) my wife's powerbook does see the battery and when it's charging and draining and such. I never got the ondemand governor to work (but this is something we discussed in another thread here).

R.
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can tell you that on gnome 2.26 (admittedly no recent) my wife's powerbook does see the battery and when it's charging and draining and such

yep, same thing here, but it does not work in anything higher than gnome-2.26. I don´t know about kde3, never tried that in this lappy, in kde4 i see the exact same behaviour.
One thing i mentioned that isnt true : if i launch the apmd daemon manually and watch for events, it catches only the first one but no other events are registered anymore ( apparently ...), so that this doesn´t look really like a problem of the DEs but like a more deeper problem somewhere.

i´m wondering why i´m the only one complaining about this though, if this is a general issue with gentoo there should be lots of threads about this problem.

thanks ! ;-)
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

working now again in gnome-2.32, i suppose the switch to udev / upower did the trick.

cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: